If I flash to Cyanogen mod can I?

jpdaballa

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I was just wondering if I flash Cyanogen mod 10 (when it is out of nightly) will i be able to pull the sprint visual voicemail apk and install it to work with Cyanogen mod?

I do love vanilla android however I would also love to be able to keep that sprint visual voicemail.

Thanks for all the input

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I was just wondering if I flash Cyanogen mod 10 (when it is out of nightly) will i be able to pull the sprint visual voicemail apk and install it to work with Cyanogen mod?

I do love vanilla android however I would also love to be able to keep that sprint visual voicemail.

Thanks for all the input

you can try but i doubt it. One of the few things i hated about my nexus. No matter how hard i tried i couldn't get that to work. Even tried restoring it with a backup I made with titanium backup. Ended up going with Google Voice which I still hate to this day. I was happy to see it back with this phone.

I really don't think I could ever go back to vanilla android. There are to many things i do with this phone that will NEVER be available on CM9, CM10 or aosp.

jpdaballa

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I know what you mean... that is one reason why I stood away from the nexus s and galaxy nexus. I love that feature and really cant see myself going back to the old way. Hopefully somehow we can get something similar

Just love the buttery smoothness of vanilla android.. and judging samsung based on the past we won't be getting jellybean for another 6 or so months :(

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I know what you mean... that is one reason why I stood away from the nexus s and galaxy nexus. I love that feature and really cant see myself going back to the old way. Hopefully somehow we can get something similar

Just love the buttery smoothness of vanilla android.. and judging samsung based on the past we won't be getting jellybean for another 6 or so months :(

I really don't think vanilla android is any smoother than this phone. This phone as is, is as smooth as the galaxy nexus. If not smoother. As long as the hardware is this good and is up to the task, it will be smooth.

IMO... I do not think vanilla android is all it's cracked up to be. It's plain and while this will probably get me slammed, ugly. The launcher is about worthless as far as customizing. As for touchwiz, while not my favorite launcher, this new version is far better than Google's stock android launcher.

I absolutely hate what Google has been trying to do with on screen buttons. Absolutely hate them and am happy Samsung took the stand and didn't put them on this phone. If they had, I wouldn't have bought it.

Yes this will most likely cause updates to roll out slower. But I like many of the bells and whistles this phone has. While many of them I can do without, there are some that I use almost daily. All of them would be gone if it was stock android. So from a functionality standpoint, I don't really mind that we will likely have to wait longer for the updates.

Last edited:

Lolanerd

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I really don't think vanilla android is any smoother than this phone. This phone as is, is as smooth as the galaxy nexus. If not smoother. As long as the hardware is this good and is up to the task, it will be smooth.

IMO... I do not think vanilla android is all it's cracked up to be. It's plain and while this will probably get me slammed, ugly. The launcher is about worthless as far as customizing. As for touchwiz, while not my favorite launcher, this new version is far better than Google's stock android launcher.

I absolutely hate what Google has been trying to do with on screen buttons. Absolutely hate them and am happy Samsung took the stand and didn't put them on this phone. If they had, I wouldn't have bought it.

Yes this will most likely cause updates to roll out slower. But I like many of the bells and whistles this phone has. While many of them I can do without, there are some that I use almost daily. All of them would be gone if it was stock android. So from a functionality standpoint, I don't really mind that we will likely have to wait longer for the updates.

Smooth is relative lol. Nowadays with these superphones, if one phone is smoother than another its because it has 1 less instance of screen lag per hour (And I'm talking about blink-and-you-miss-it screen lag). And I definitely agree with your take on the on-screen buttons, I really don't like them.

jpdaballa

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I don't like the screen buttons either I'm a sucker for captive buttons. I really wish the galaxy also had a captive search key implemented... I'm not really digging s voice espicially coming from the iPhone 4s and siri. I am looking forward to Google's new search in jellybean however I hope samsung doesn't lock this phone to just s voice however I'm sure everything can be fixed with a little root ;)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't like the screen buttons either I'm a sucker for captive buttons. I really wish the galaxy also had a captive search key implemented... I'm not really digging s voice espicially coming from the iPhone 4s and siri. I am looking forward to Google's new search in jellybean however I hope samsung doesn't lock this phone to just s voice however I'm sure everything can be fixed with a little root ;)

It does have a search key. If you're not in an app, press and hold the menu button and it will bring up search.

jpdaballa

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Oh wow thanks for that I didnt know.. maybe you can help me out with another problem I'm having

When I'm in the car connected to Bluetooth I also plug an auxiliary cable into the phone to play music. When someone calls me it defaults to the auxiliary cable with no option to switch to Bluetooth. so when I answer there is no noise coming out the speaker and no voice going in. Is there a way to get it to connect to the Bluetooth of the car?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Oh wow thanks for that I didnt know.. maybe you can help me out with another problem I'm having

When I'm in the car connected to Bluetooth I also plug an auxiliary cable into the phone to play music. When someone calls me it defaults to the auxiliary cable with no option to switch to Bluetooth. so when I answer there is no noise coming out the speaker and no voice going in. Is there a way to get it to connect to the Bluetooth of the car?

someone else was having that issue and I don't remember if it was solved or not. Since I don't own any Bluetooth devices, I just don't know. Try a search here in the forums.

ZiggSVO

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
you can try but i doubt it. One of the few things i hated about my nexus. No matter how hard i tried i couldn't get that to work. Even tried restoring it with a backup I made with titanium backup. Ended up going with Google Voice which I still hate to this day. I was happy to see it back with this phone.

I really don't think I could ever go back to vanilla android. There are to many things i do with this phone that will NEVER be available on CM9, CM10 or aosp.

nexus couldn't have sprints visual voice mail as it is handled through an entirely different server.
So seeing as we have visual voicemail. It should work. They did get a workaround for VVM on the epic running CM9

AntikytheraTech

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
If you went AOSP you can always use Google Voice instead of Sprint VVM. The Google Voice app gives you the exact same functionality as VVM but adds to it the ability to listen to, sort and delete voice mail from your tab, laptop, desktop etc (since it is all synced via Google). I use Google Voice BUT I DO NOT use the Sprint + Google Voice deal that lets you pair your GV # and Sprint #. I prefer to keep those totally separate, just use Google Voice as my voice mail app. Just my 2c.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I love the on screen buttons, I think they make the phone look more sophistacated plus my iPhone buddies get all upset when they see em ;)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
The only way I would want to see on screen buttons is if they have us a web os gesture bar underneath. That would be sick. Other than that I like the captive buttons with the physical home button.

And skunk aren't CM9 and CM10 like the most popular roms to flash? If you don't like them what are you currently using? And what does aosp mean?

ZiggSVO

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
The only way I would want to see on screen buttons is if they have us a web os gesture bar underneath. That would be sick. Other than that I like the captive buttons with the physical home button.

And skunk aren't CM9 and CM10 like the most popular roms to flash? If you don't like them what are you currently using? And what does aosp mean?

AOSP is Android Open Source Project
Basically when a ROM said it's AOSP it's basically pure Google. Think Nexus line. No flashy UI overlayed on top.

Reactions: Tkbredx

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site

Yes, ZiggseVO is absolutely correct AOSP = Android Open Source Project.

As for the other question, CM9 & 10 are very popular with Android fanboys. Not so much with mainstreamers though. I don't have a real issue with AOSP or roms based off of it such as CM9 & 10. However having a phone that the only thing that was available was AOSP based roms, it got old really quick. Unless you themed the heck out of it they all pretty much look the same no matter what phone you have. ASOP being what it is strips all the cool features out of these phones.

I have run every Rom out for our phones and will likely continue to do so as that's how roll but my favorite so far is the Team Sonic FreeGS3. And is the one I use throughout the day. CM9 & 10 work for the most part but have limited functionality and the camera in both is a definite downgrade over what we have stock.

I will wait until samsung releases an official version of JellyBean. It will be just as nice. while still having all the bells and whistles that this phone was designed for.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, ZiggseVO is absolutely correct AOSP = Android Open Source Project.

As for the other question, CM9 & 10 are very popular with Android fanboys. Not so much with mainstreamers though. I don't have a real issue with AOSP or roms based off of it such as CM9 & 10. However having a phone that the only thing that was available was AOSP based roms, it got old really quick. Unless you themed the heck out of it they all pretty much look the same no matter what phone you have. ASOP being what it is strips all the cool features out of these phones.

I have run every Rom out for our phones and will likely continue to do so as that's how roll but my favorite so far is the Team Sonic FreeGS3. And is the one I use throughout the day. CM9 & 10 work for the most part but have limited functionality and the camera in both is a definite downgrade over what we have stock.

I will wait until samsung releases an official version of JellyBean. It will be just as nice. while still having all the bells and whistles that this phone was designed for.

Thanks man. I was looking in to that rom as well. Saw it in a couple vids on YouTube. But here I go. Getting ready to root and flash it. Hope I don't screw up

mykl_74

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site

I'm surprised you didn't notice a difference in the overall smoothness of the phone. I have a GS3 and it was running stock Samsung Ice Cream Sandwich. A lot of things were pretty laggy, such as holding home to bring up task switcher, pressing home to return to main screen, and in general opening apps and such. And this was after I disabled a lot of the stuff it came with for media sharing and whatnot that I don't use. I've been using android a while and I'd like to think I know how to reduce the muck in the system slowing it down, but I could never get it to be as smooth as I expected from such a powerful device. I just flashed cyanogen 10 2 days ago, and to me the difference is stark. Now the difference could be partly due to moving to 4.1.2 (thank you project butter) and part of it may be the minimalist approach cyanogen takes. Everything is very snappy, program transitions and swiping lists and home screen are very smooth, much better than the Samsung build. Whatever the reason, so far I absolutely love it. When comparing my GS3 to my buddy's iPhone 5, i could see the reason why the apple fanboys love their phone so much. Everything is very smooth on it. With CM10, I can say they're comparable performance wise.

I'm still deciding if I will keep it, because I really need my Sprint visual voicemail, and I'm sure there are things I haven't discovered yet that are missing. So, no one has been able to install VVM on CM10? Major bummer...

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Had my nexus for a year. It never got the Sprint voice mail either. And Google voice plain sux.

I have yet to try a cm or asop rom that was faster or smoother than the stock rom on my phone. But to be honest, I have tried any of them in a month.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt