Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Skunkape60
  • 1 Post By Skunkape60
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Retired Ambassador

Default How to Root Without Tripping The Counter

EDIT: I just figured I would add: By Using This Method You Are Releasing The Author (ME) of any Responsibility For What May Happen to Your Phone. In Other Words, If You Brick Your Phone, It's On You.

I thought I would put together a root package for those that do not want to raise the flash counts on their Samsung Galaxy S3. It is very simple And I hope I can explain it in a way that everyone can understand. This first post is written for the 1st time rooter.

The 2nd post is for Experienced User who already knows how to use tools such as Odin or Mobile Odin

Drivers

Your Samsung Drivers MUST be installed correctly on your computer prior to continuing. You can install them by installing keis.

or
    alone

Either way wait until the software installs completely before plugging your device into the computer. When you have completed driver installation, plug in your device. The computer should now tell you it is installing drivers click on the details and wait until there is a green check by all the drivers. Unplugging your device before it's complete will cause you problems.

Preparing Your Computer

You will need to download the following files to your desktop or notebook computer. Just click on the file names and that should download the file required. I would suggest you make a folder on your desktop and name it something like Root GS3

Download the files below to your computer. If your computer can already handle .7z files you won't need to download or install "7zip for windows" files

If you have 32 bit Windows
    If you have 64 bit Windows

After downloading the above files to your computer:

1. double click on the "Odin 3.07 zip". Copy the "Odin307" folder into your "Root GS3" folder.
    2. Copy "root66_SPR_L710VPALEN.7z" into the "Root GS3" folder"
    3. Extract "root66_SPR_L710VPALEN.tar" into the "Root GS3" folder

Note: After extracting the needed files from the compressed folders, it is safe to delete the original zip and 7z folders. (Again if your computer doesn't recognize 7z files you will have to download and install one of the 7 zip programs from above.)

Using Odin

1. Open the "Odin307" folder and right click on "Odin3 v3.07.exe" and choose run as administrator. Odin will open.
    2. place your phone into download mode. Turn off phone - press and hold volume down, home button and power button at the same time. When you see the warning push the volume up button to continue.
    3. Plug your usb cord to your phone and computer and wait until you see any number and com in the com
    4. Check the PDA block and browse to "root66_SPR_L710VPALEN.tar" in your Root GS3 Folder

5. Verify Auto Reboot is checked as well as F. Reset Time

When all this is done Odin should look like this:

6. If everything looks like the picture, click on the start button in Odin.

Note: This is vary large file and make take up to 10 minutes to complete.

When your phone reboots you can unplug your device. You are now Rooted with the stock recovery and without tripping the counter.

Custom Recovery

If you would like to load ROMs, Kernels, mods or make Nandroid Backups you will now need to install a custom recovery.

For ease, I would suggest downloading the Modile Odin Pro from the play store it sets everything up for you and you don't need any add on apps. But below is the free way to do this.

Files To download to your device

(Move this file to the root of either internal or external sdcard)
    (Move this file to the root of either internal or external sdcard)

Installation of Custom Recovery

1. Click on Mobile Odin Lite and choose install (Do not open yet)
    2. Click on Mobile Odin Flash APK and choose install
    3. Open Mobile Odin Lite and allow root access.
    4. click on recovery option and choose external or internal sd (Where did you put your recovery tar file.)
    5. Choose your recovery. (recovery.tar.md5)
    6. Scroll down to flash firmware and select. You will get a warning so press continue. You can check the mds if wanted.
    Your device will now boot into recovery.
    7. In recovery "Install zip from sdcard"
    8. Choose "Choose zip from sdcard" or further down choose zip from internal sdcard. (where is Team Epic Root From Recovery?)
    9. Choose "Team Epic Root from Recovery" and say yes on next screen.
    Click your back button until you see reboot system now.

You are done

If you have any problems with the links let me know.
    Last edited by Skunkape60; 07-30-2012 at 05:47 PM.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
    Thanked by 3:
    Paul627g likes this.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  
    Retired Ambassador

Default Re: How to Root Without Tripping The Counter

This is for the experienced guys....

Unzip

Flash root66_SPR_L710VPALEN.tar With Desktop Odin.

Let phone restart.

Flash In Mobile Odin

Your device will reboot to recovery when finished

Flash

You are finished.
    Last edited by Skunkape60; 07-30-2012 at 05:51 PM.
    Thanked by 2:
    Paul627g likes this.

Nice guide Skunk... Very nice.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

Do you know if this method would work with the U.S. Cellular version?

Thanks for the easy instructions. I have two questions. First if i get the mobile Odin pro what are further instructions. I don't have to download those other files? Also I'm familiar with cwm, but what is team epic root recovery? Thanx!
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by JVoisa View Post
    Do you know if this method would work with the U.S. Cellular version?
    No, I doubt it.

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by adlebo View Post
    Thanks for the easy instructions. I have two questions. First if i get the mobile Odin pro what are further instructions. I don't have to download those other files? Also I'm familiar with cwm, but what is team epic root recovery? Thanx!
    You won't have to load the two mobile Odin files.

The root that is built into the tar file has an old version of superuser. Many have lost custom recovery because of it. Team epic root for recovery is simply a more up to date superuser. If you flash that while in custom recovery you shouldn't have to worry about losing your custom recovery because of an outdated su.

Also something to remember. If you disable root with an app such as root keeper, you will most often lose custom recovery if you restart your phone while root is disabled.
    Last edited by Skunkape60; 08-03-2012 at 06:04 PM.

So it gives me the supersu app instead of the older su? Also i know with supersu you can temporary disable root (I plan to use it to make a game, 9 innings from com2us, work even when rooted). So are you saying I shouldn't restart my phone while root is disabled because I'll lose cwm? I did that with my touchpad and didn't have any issues.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by adlebo View Post
    So it gives me the supersu app instead of the older su? Also i know with supersu you can temporary disable root (I plan to use it to make a game, 9 innings from com2us, work even when rooted). So are you saying I shouldn't restart my phone while root is disabled because I'll lose cwm? I did that with my touchpad and didn't have any issues.
    No it isn't the supersu but just an newer version of the plain old su.

Yes that's exactly what I'm saying. In one of the updates samsung coded this to check for stock recovery at every boot. If it's not found, it will restore stock recovery. Being rooted with team epic root from recovery stops this from happening. However, if you disable root and restarted your phone, the chances are that you will lose your custom recovery.
    Last edited by Skunkape60; 08-03-2012 at 06:04 PM.
    Thanked by:
    adlebo 

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    No it isn't the supersu but just an newer version of the plain old su.

Yes that's exactly what I'm saying. In one of the updates samsung coded this to check for stock recovery at every boot. If it's not found, it will restore stock recovery. Being rooted with team epic root from recovery stops this from happening. However, if you disable root and restarted your phone, the chances are that you will lose your custom recovery.

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  
    Retired Ambassador

I'm testing now. If if I lose recovery no problem. I have done this so many times, I could do it with my eyes closed.

Ok I install OTA Root Keeper from the market. I opened it tapped on protect root and it made a backup of superuser. Then I tapped on temp unroot and tried to open several apps that require su. None of them were allowed su. so I rebooted my phone 4 times. Then I tried to go into recovery. No problem. My recovery was still there. Went back into root keeper restored root and checked my apps that require root and everything was back to normal. So yes the team epic root from recovery seems to protect your recovery even when root is temporarily turned off.
    Last edited by Skunkape60; 08-03-2012 at 07:39 PM.
    Thanked by:
    adlebo 

Method no longer used. Please see the link below for newer instructions.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/spr...ml#post2104221
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central