Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Default Re: [GUIDE] UPDATED: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

After restarting the computer and phone it eventually allowed me to drop the zip file into the root directory.

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    After updating are you going to want to root again?

Also needed to know if you removed or froze any of the Sprint or Samsung pre-installed software?
    When I rooted I immediately removed Sprint and Samsung apps and when I updated to the version before the current one I had no problems - it just reinstalled most of them. Will this update be different? I assume I'm fine because I was fine before and it restored some apps.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

I never got back in order to say this but good looking out on this thread SkunkApe! Finally got it all working.

ROM
    stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    Try redownloading the files.
    I got a sucessfull root I had to reinstall the drivers and everything on another computer. I noticed when I reinstalled the drivers there was different drivers that were installed

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #255  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by mcasas View Post
    I got a sucessfull root I had to reinstall the drivers and everything on another computer. I noticed when I reinstalled the drivers there was different drivers that were installed

Great news. Removing and re-installing drivers is the first thing i said. Yes, I updated the drivers with windows 8 compatible drivers.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
    Thanked by:
    mcasas 

ROM
    stock for now

gottta say much easier to root than my optimus s. almost fool proof with the directions as long as the drivers and the computer coperate

edit: what apps are safe to remove right now im stock rooted custom recovery backed up,and how do you rename backed nandroids

gottta say much easier to root than my optimus s. almost fool proof with the directions as long as the drivers and the computer coperate

edit: what apps are safe to remove right now im stock rooted custom recovery backed up,and how do you rename backed nandroids

For apps that are safe to remove, you can try this thread: Apps Safe to Remove from Samsung Galaxy S3 (Sprint Version, Stock Rooted)
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #258  
    Retired Ambassador

To rename the backups go to the cwm folder / Backups hold press and hold the file you want to rename choose rename from the menu. Name it what you want but you can't have any spaces in the name.

Example: 12Dec2012_Wicked_Sensations

Another Thank You to Skunkape rooted in under 10 minutes now for the real fun!
    Thanked by:

Are there any requirements that your S3 must have, such as Android version? (Mine is 4.1.1) Or anything else? Or is the only requirement that it has to be from Sprint?
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #261  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by neyox View Post
    Are there any requirements that your S3 must have, such as Android version? (Mine is 4.1.1) Or anything else? Or is the only requirement that it has to be from Sprint?
    Did you read the thread? This question is answered about a dozen times in the thread.

Simple answer. Yes, the only requirement is that you have Sprint Samsung GS3.

Oh, sorry. I skimmed a little bit, but didn't see it. Thank you though, I think I might give this a try.

Another question; if I'm using an external SD card with this stuff, should I format it in exfat or fat32? And what class of SD card should I use?

Sorry about the newby questions. Dx
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #264  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by neyox View Post
    Another question; if I'm using an external SD card with this stuff, should I format it in exfat or fat32? And what class of SD card should I use?

Sorry about the newby questions. Dx
    if it is formatted to exfat it won't work. it should be fat32.

Skunkape60 you are an amazing person! You're THEE BEST!
    Nicole the Newbie
    w/ her
    Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3
    Thanked by:
    jay28w likes this.

ROM
    Stock.... for now

So ive beein trying to root my SGS3 using heimdall because I do not have access to a windows machine but have had absolutely no luck getting the recovery file to flash. Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

Don't know if anyone has asked this yet, I did this in hopes that it would fix the No Sim, Insert SIM card error on my phone, everything went perfect but I can't access my network, any suggestions?
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #268  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by VinceSage View Post
    Don't know if anyone has asked this yet, I did this in hopes that it would fix the No Sim, Insert SIM card error on my phone, everything went perfect but I can't access my network, any suggestions?
    If you did the return to stock earlier (ics). It will cause this. The fix is to let it receive the ota's before re rooting. Once it gets to like the 3rd or 4th ota the no sim error will disappear. Then you can restore root. BTW... the ota's will hit at every reboot.

Got root! Thanks SkunkApe for all your help...I didn't leave my sd ext 4. I partitioned back. :good

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #270  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by skram77ac View Post
    Got root! Thanks SkunkApe for all your help...I didn't leave my sd ext 4. I partitioned back. :good

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    You said exfat. If you were on ext4, I would have told you to try it. I would have liked to know if it worked. Lol

The instructions were easy to follow and rooted my Galaxy S3 with no problem; however, within 24 hours of rooting I get the nagging System Update required message. I know installing the update will break my Root. When I accept the install and go into Recovery mode, I immediately request a reboot with running the update. I lose my wi-fi tether (using Wi-Fi 3.2-beta2), but my apps are still requesting SuperUser permission. I can actually see the apps in the log file of SuperUser. What can I do to prevent the System Update from appearing after I root my S3?
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #272  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by ahigh45 View Post
    The instructions were easy to follow and rooted my Galaxy S3 with no problem; however, within 24 hours of rooting I get the nagging System Update required message. I know installing the update will break my Root. When I accept the install and go into Recovery mode, I immediately request a reboot with running the update. I lose my wi-fi tether (using Wi-Fi 3.2-beta2), but my apps are still requesting SuperUser permission. I can actually see the apps in the log file of SuperUser. What can I do to prevent the System Update from appearing after I root my S3?
    Are you not on jellybean?

Skunkape you are an inspiration!

Just to be clear so I do not ruin my uninsured device that powers internet to the pc i am rooting this with...

I rooted previously via odin then got the JB update. No longer have root and it sucks. Am I clear in understanding that your help on page 4 of the thread is the method to re-root after the JB update if previously rooted for ICS? I apologize if the question is kinda dumb but I want to make sure before I go an brick my phone with my lack of experience.

Also, does anyone know if tethering is still MIA for Jelly Bean?

Skunk, Thank you in advance. After reading the thread I have much respect for you. As stated earlier, I would like to donate for your help. You deserve it.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #274  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefrenchtoast View Post
    Skunkape you are an inspiration!

Just to be clear so I do not ruin my uninsured device that powers internet to the pc i am rooting this with...

I rooted previously via odin then got the JB update. No longer have root and it sucks. Am I clear in understanding that your help on page 4 of the thread is the method to re-root after the JB update if previously rooted for ICS? I apologize if the question is kinda dumb but I want to make sure before I go an brick my phone with my lack of experience.

Also, does anyone know if tethering is still MIA for Jelly Bean?

Skunk, Thank you in advance. After reading the thread I have much respect for you. As stated earlier, I would like to donate for your help. You deserve it.
    Actually you can root using the directions in the very 1st post of this thread. There is no difference in rooting ics and rooting Jellybean.

There is a hacked version of jellybean available that will work with a rooted phone. There is a link in the main Sprint GS3 forum.

Thanks for the swift reply! Thank you! I will reply with the results.. granted I don't botch.
Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast