Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617 ... LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Default Re: [GUIDE] UPDATED: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

I did all this and am rooted but I didn't seem to see how the twrp piece works. Does that matter? I confirmed I'm rooted and was able to get tethering to work

Thanks

Perfect procedure. Couldn't be easier. It literally took 6 minutes start to finish to root my Sprint SIII using your process (I do have some experience with rooting and custom ROMs on the old Galaxy S).

I think I'm going to stick with stock for now, but needed root for Titanium.

Thanks for your contributions!

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

Wow!!! That was EASY! This is my first Android device and coming from WebOS, I was a bit worried about rooting. I simply read the directions over a few times, followed them exactly and the root worked flawlessly in only a matter of minutes. I do have a question though that I may have overlooked in the thread. I do have my warranty through Sprint, do I need to go ahead and use Triangle Away now or just before I send it back to Sprint? I have about a million more questions but I am going to fire up the forum search for that. Thanks again for this tutorial!

Quote Originally Posted by msoprano13 View Post
    I did all this and am rooted but I didn't seem to see how the twrp piece works. Does that matter? I confirmed I'm rooted and was able to get tethering to work
    I'm not the expert here, but since no one else has jumped in, I will. If I get something wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me. You'll only need to use TWRP (or CWM) if you want to flash different ROMs than the stock one. Right now you're rooted, and can run apps that require root access, but you're still on the stock ROM. There are a great many modified ROMs available if you want to play with them. TWRP will let you back up your current one, and load a new one in it's place. And, importantly, recover the stock one from the backup you created, if desired.

Quote Originally Posted by mrfoo84 View Post
    Wow!!! That was EASY! This is my first Android device and coming from WebOS, I was a bit worried about rooting. I simply read the directions over a few times, followed them exactly and the root worked flawlessly in only a matter of minutes. I do have a question though that I may have overlooked in the thread. I do have my warranty through Sprint, do I need to go ahead and use Triangle Away now or just before I send it back to Sprint? I have about a million more questions but I am going to fire up the forum search for that. Thanks again for this tutorial!
    Your only need to do it if you're going to return the phone to Sprint or Samsung. But what if you're returning the phone because something has locked up, and you can no longer access it to run Triangle Away? I don't know how likely that scenario is, but it's so easy to do it now, I didn't see any reason to wait.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #330  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by msoprano13 View Post

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I'm not the expert here, but since no one else has jumped in, I will. If I get something wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me. You'll only need to use TWRP (or CWM) if you want to flash different ROMs than the stock one. Right now you're rooted, and can run apps that require root access, but you're still on the stock ROM. There are a great many modified ROMs available if you want to play with them. TWRP will let you back up your current one, and load a new one in it's place. And, importantly, recover the stock one from the backup you created, if desired.
    This is 100% Correct. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Your only need to do it if you're going to return the phone to Sprint or Samsung. But what if you're returning the phone because something has locked up, and you can no longer access it to run Triangle Away? I don't know how likely that scenario is, but it's so easy to do it now, I didn't see any reason to wait.
    This is partially correct. You don't reset the count until you are ready to return to stock. On the gs3, the phone looks for a modified phone on every boot. This means if you are rooted you will always have at least 1 count. It is not possible to completely clear the counts until you return to stock. So you have to do triangle away, shut your phone off, boot into download mode and return to stock. If you reboot between zeroing your counts and returning to stock, you will not clear it.
    Last edited by Skunkape60; 12-30-2012 at 11:47 AM.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    This is partially correct. You don't reset the count until you are ready to return to stock. On the gs3, the phone looks for a modified phone on every boot. This means if you are rooted you will always have at least 1 count. It is not possible to completely clear the counts until you return to stock. So you have to do triangle away, shut your phone off, boot into download mode and return to stock. If you reboot between zeroing your counts and returning to stock, you will not clear it.
    Since I plan on keeping root on my phone, the only time I need to use Triangle away is right before I boot into download mode, return to stock, and go straight to the Sprint store. That way the count will show 0 if I understand correctly.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #332  
    Retired Ambassador

Since I plan on keeping root on my phone, the only time I need to use Triangle away is right before I boot into download mode, return to stock, and go straight to the Sprint store. That way the count will show 0 if I understand correctly.
    Yes. It does no good to reset your counts unless your intention is to return the phone. Since your phone must be rooted to use triangle away, you will use it just prior to returning to stock. Then turn your phone off and boot into download mode and flash the return to stock tar. Instructions are found here.

Not sure if this is related to this particular root method, or something else is going on, but...I get the prompt from superuser that "system" is requesting root access. This occurs about a dozen times in rapid succession, and regardless of whether I permit or deny, the phone promptly reboots. The only other app on the phone that I have that requires root is Titanium, and it's backup schedules are for the middle of the night, not during the day when I'm seeing this. Any ideas of where to start looking? Superuser doesn't show who is causing system to request root, just that root is being requested by system.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #334  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by dmolavi View Post
    Not sure if this is related to this particular root method, or something else is going on, but...I get the prompt from superuser that "system" is requesting root access. This occurs about a dozen times in rapid succession, and regardless of whether I permit or deny, the phone promptly reboots. The only other app on the phone that I have that requires root is Titanium, and it's backup schedules are for the middle of the night, not during the day when I'm seeing this. Any ideas of where to start looking? Superuser doesn't show who is causing system to request root, just that root is being requested by system.
    Try installing SuperSU from the play store. Then go into system/app folder and delete the superuser app with a root file explorer such as esfile explorer or root explorer.

You can also try opening your superuser app and try updating the binaries.

ROM
    MOAR 9

I just rooted, it was so easy. I wanted to be able to use NFC Task Launcher to create a switch to open some apps then touch again and close them and it states you need root access to do it. Unfortunately the apps don't close on second touch, oh well, at least rooting is done and thank you for the easy instructions.
    Galaxy S3 running MOAR Official v9.0. 50+ Mods Morphology 3.9.14

David
    Thanked by:

I have been so afraid to root because of the horror stories. I did exactly as instructed in addition to a little bit of inference and now I am officially rooted! I'm very happy, but now I need to find out how to tether. To be continued... Thanks Skunk!!!!!! You are awesome and you do so much for us!!!
    Thanked by:
    HondaPixi likes this.

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

Root has nothing to do with your pc not recognizing your phone. Let's try fixing it first. Here's what I want you to try...

1. Right click on my computer.
    2. Choose Properties
    3. Choose advanced advanced system settings
    4. from the hardware tab click "device installation settings"
    5. select "no,... Never install driver software from windows update.
    Close

Now do the following

1. go to your computers control panel / add and remove software (win xp) or programs and features windows 7.
    2. Uninstall Kies and Samsung drivers.
    3. When complete, restart computer and phone.

4. Install the drivers on your computer but do not plug in your phone until it has completed.
    5. plug in your phone that is already started. It should now recognize your phone and at the bottom right corner say it is installing the software for your phone. click on view details. Several drivers should load and as it progresses green checks will appear when successful.
    Thank You so much!

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Patrick View Post
    I have been so afraid to root because of the horror stories. I did exactly as instructed in addition to a little bit of inference and now I am officially rooted! I'm very happy, but now I need to find out how to tether. To be continued... Thanks Skunk!!!!!! You are awesome and you do so much for us!!!
    Hi. In order to Tether on the Sprint Galaxy S3 you need to download this app:

Very Simple to use.
    Enjoy
    Thanked by:

the procedure always gets stuck on get PIT for mapping. i bricked my last phone and I am currently typing this message while its stuck on the get PIT for mapping in the message box, any suggestions? i dont want to brick my phone again

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

Yup. It really doesn't get much easier than this. The Gs3 is among the easiest phones to root. Probably rooted and unrooted this close to 50 times since I got it on launch day.
    I had an easier time rooting with my LG Ally. one press of a button to root/unroot
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #341  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by kaledreamz View Post
    the procedure always gets stuck on get PIT for mapping. i bricked my last phone and I am currently typing this message while its stuck on the get PIT for mapping in the message box, any suggestions? i dont want to brick my phone again
    Are you in pda?

Are you in pda?
    yessir, i did all the instructions correctly and carefully, i even swaped out the USB cord and changed ports as well. no luck what so ever!
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #343  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by kaledreamz View Post
    yessir, i did all the instructions correctly and carefully, i even swaped out the USB cord and changed ports as well. no luck what so ever!
    Try re downloading the files. Most times when things just stop in odin, it's either a problem with the cable or the drivers. Go about 5 or 6 posts back.

Quote Originally Posted by HondaPixi View Post
    Hi. In order to Tether on the Sprint Galaxy S3 you need to download this app:

Very Simple to use.
    Enjoy
    Thank you very much!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

I've gotten all the way to flashing TeamEpic-Root and run into a problem there. I've put it on both the internal and external SD cards, and either way I get the same message
    E: Can't open /sdcard/TeamEpic-Root-from-Recovery-v5.zip
    (bad)
    Installation aborted.
    Any hints? Everything seems to pass up until that point.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #346  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by ibdoomed View Post
    It felt like the rest of the plastic covering the unit out of the box.
    Sounds like your in stock recovery. You must flash custom recovery in odin. Once flashed in odin, you will have to pull the battery, unplug your device, reinstall your battery and boot into cwm or twrp. Then you can flash team epic. Do not let the phone reboot between flashing in odin and flashing in recovery.

If you are in cwm or twrp and you are still having the error, try redownloading team epic.

One other note: team epic should remain zipped. Some people have tried to extract the files before putting it on the phone.
    Thanked by:

The issue appeared to be with the version of TeamEpic linked from here. I went to the site and downloaded directly from there and everything was dandy.
    Thanked by:
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #348  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Schuetzler View Post
    The issue appeared to be with the version of TeamEpic linked from here. I went to the site and downloaded directly from there and everything was dandy.
    Lol... No one else has reported that issue... i will check on it.

ROM
    MOAR 9

For general information, now that I rooted following the instructions at the start of this thread, how do I refer to my OS, stock rooted JB? Or does it have some other fancy name? Thanks.
    Galaxy S3 running MOAR Official v9.0. 50+ Mods Morphology 3.9.14

David
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #350  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dave426 View Post
    For general information, now that I rooted following the instructions at the start of this thread, how do I refer to my OS, stock rooted JB? Or does it have some other fancy name? Thanks.
    Stock rooted....
Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617 ... LastLast