Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819 ... LastLast
Results 376 to 400 of 643
Like Tree62Likes
  1. #376  

    Default Re: [GUIDE] UPDATED: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

    so if i understand correctly, rooting does not wipe your phone, and i do not need to install a custom rom?
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #377  
    Skunkape60's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    4,518 Posts

    Default Re: [GUIDE] UPDATED: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

    Quote Originally Posted by bojackson View Post
    so if i understand correctly, rooting does not wipe your phone, and i do not need to install a custom rom?
    This method will not wipe your phone. Coffee whatever room you want or keep what you have currently. Rooting your phone doesn't do anything other than letting you access the entire phone.

    Think of it like this. I have a young daughter and I put many restrictions on her Windows. She can't install programs or access many parts of the computer.

    Sprint and the other carriers do the same thing to us. They locked us out of the system so that we don't muck things up. All rooting does is removed the restrictions. It doesn't do anything else. It well not effect your battery, stability or make your phone any different than it is now.

    However, it gives you the power to customize, mod, fix and yes destroy your phone. If you don't know what your messing with you can surely make things worse. Just remember it isn't the root that changes anything, it's you.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
  3. #378  

    Default Re: [GUIDE] UPDATED: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

    Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    This method will not wipe your phone. Coffee whatever room you want or keep what you have currently. Rooting your phone doesn't do anything other than letting you access the entire phone.

    Think of it like this. I have a young daughter and I put many restrictions on her Windows. She can't install programs or access many parts of the computer.

    Sprint and the other carriers do the same thing to us. They locked us out of the system so that we don't muck things up. All rooting does is removed the restrictions. It doesn't do anything else. It well not effect your battery, stability or make your phone any different than it is now.

    However, it gives you the power to customize, mod, fix and yes destroy your phone. If you don't know what your messing with you can surely make things worse. Just remember it isn't the root that changes anything, it's you.
    thanks. i was just curious because i remember back in the day when i rooted the epic 4g, it wiped the phone and you had to install a rom right away.
  4. #379  
    rando991's Avatar

    Posts
    550 Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Rooted

    Default Re: [GUIDE] UPDATED: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

    Easy Smeasy. Did the prep work (previous experience rooting and flashing with the Epic 4G), downloaded all the files and rooted within 5 minutes. Made sure everything worked, then made a CWM Nandroid Backup to External SD card (did it to internal first, and later figured out I could do it to external and save internal storage space...so deleted all the backup and blobs from internal card). Set up my Titanium Backup Root and froze some bloat and then Finally, disabled the power on and power off.ogg files so I get quiet boots and shutdowns. One thing I recommend is don't use Gemini App Manager as a task killer. I stopped some auto boots within that app and froze my phone...had to do a nandroid backup Restore! Already! Plus, I don't like the fact that Gemini was an "In app upgrade" which you lose permanently each time you do a reset or flash a new rom or get a new phone. You must rely on the particular app developer to remember you to get the full functionality back. Never again!
  5. #380  

    Default Re: [GUIDE] UPDATED: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

    Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    Yup pretty much... flash the zip in recovery.... If you are flashing an aosp or CM you will also have to flash gaps.
    thanks so much man! I dove in and took the risk not knowing though (stooopid) but it worked. one more annoying question and I'm on my way. I got CM10 and my gogle play is acting all sorts of squirrley (looked into it already, none of the fixes are working.) is there a ROM that YOU would recommend that includes the samsung motions (swipe for SS, call displayed contact etc) that is relatively stable (i.e play store that works properly)?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #381  
    Skunkape60's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    4,518 Posts

    Default Re: [GUIDE] UPDATED: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

    Quote Originally Posted by gorealmighty View Post
    thanks so much man! I dove in and took the risk not knowing though (stooopid) but it worked. one more annoying question and I'm on my way. I got CM10 and my gogle play is acting all sorts of squirrley (looked into it already, none of the fixes are working.) is there a ROM that YOU would recommend that includes the samsung motions (swipe for SS, call displayed contact etc) that is relatively stable (i.e play store that works properly)?
    If you want the bells and whistles that came with your phone you need to stick with touchwiz roms.

    Try wicked sensations. It it's a themed Rom that you can choose between 3 different themes. Very stable and fast. He has removed some of the apps that came on the phone but provides a zip file to reinstall anything you may want back. After installing the rom. Go into the kuban updater and it has an app folder and many custom dropdowns and mods designed for the rom.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
    Thanked by:
  7. #382  

    Default Re: [GUIDE] UPDATED: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

    I did this and now I cant turn on the wifi on my phone?
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #383  
    Skunkape60's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    4,518 Posts

    Default Re: [GUIDE] UPDATED: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Solis View Post
    I did this and now I cant turn on the wifi on my phone?
    This should have no effect on Wi-Fi. You are just adding the superuser app. Will the Wi-Fi in settings not turn on or will it not connect to your wireless?
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
  9. #384  

    Default Re: [GUIDE] UPDATED: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

    I'm thinking about finally rooting my phone when I get home today. It seems like outside of following the instructions which are amazing that I just should make sure to get titanium backup and make a nandroid back up. Is that pretty accurate?
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #385  
    Skunkape60's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    4,518 Posts

    Default Re: [GUIDE] UPDATED: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

    Quote Originally Posted by phippsy84 View Post
    I'm thinking about finally rooting my phone when I get home today. It seems like outside of following the instructions which are amazing that I just should make sure to get titanium backup and make a nandroid back up. Is that pretty accurate?
    Nope... Nandroids are made with the custom recovery that you will be installing. Titanium backup is good for backing up apps. Nandroids backup everything including settings.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
  11. #386  

    Default Re: [GUIDE] UPDATED: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

    Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    Nope... Nandroids are made with the custom recovery that you will be installing. Titanium backup is good for backing up apps. Nandroids backup everything including settings.
    Right I didn't explain that well myself. But it seems like outside of backing up apps with titanium and then everything else with the nandroid using CWM I should be good to go.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #387  
    Skunkape60's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    4,518 Posts

    Default Re: [GUIDE] UPDATED: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

    Quote Originally Posted by phippsy84 View Post
    Right I didn't explain that well myself. But it seems like outside of backing up apps with titanium and then everything else with the nandroid using CWM I should be good to go.
    Yup. But you of course need to be rooted before you can install titanium backup. But you can do a Nandroid while unrooted with this method.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
  13. #388  

    Default Re: [GUIDE] UPDATED: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

    Good deal. I'll post an update once I get home and get rooted to say it worked and thanks, or say I messd up somewhere and ask for help.

    Took two tries but got it rooted. Was very easy thank you for the guide.
    Last edited by phippsy84; 01-31-2013 at 05:50 PM.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #389  
    Skunkape60's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    4,518 Posts

    Default Re: [GUIDE] UPDATED: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

    Quote Originally Posted by phippsy84 View Post
    Good deal. I'll post an update once I get home and get rooted to say it worked and thanks, or say I messd up somewhere and ask for help.

    Took two tries but got it rooted. Was very easy thank you for the guide.
    No problem. Safe flashing....
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
  15. #390  

    Default Re: [GUIDE] UPDATED: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

    Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    No problem. Safe flashing....
    Again thanks.
  16. #391  

    Default Re: [GUIDE] UPDATED: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

    About to go try and root. Should go smooth since I have done this with epic 4g. Wish me luck and i will keep yall posted

    well everything went good. thanks for the great write up
    Last edited by dr3am3r619; 02-02-2013 at 08:18 PM.
  17. #392  

    Default Re: [GUIDE] UPDATED: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

    Does anyone live in Northern New Jersey who can help me out? I'm kind of too chicken to attempt rooting on my own!
  18. #393  

    Default Re: [GUIDE] UPDATED: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

    I want to put the custom ROM CyanogenMod 10.1 on my S3!
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #394  
    Skunkape60's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    4,518 Posts

    Default Re: [GUIDE] UPDATED: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

    Quote Originally Posted by arwarburg View Post
    I want to put the custom ROM CyanogenMod 10.1 on my S3!
    What kind of help do you want?
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
  20. #395  

    Default Re: [GUIDE] UPDATED: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

    Quick question.. You say to uncheck the Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time in Odin, but in watching QBKing77's tutorial, he only unchecks the Auto Reboot box.. Is there a reason why you say to uncheck it? Not that I'm questioning you, I just wanna be sure
  21. #396  
    DroidXcon's Avatar

    Posts
    11,645 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

    Default Re: [GUIDE] UPDATED: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

    Quote Originally Posted by tat21985 View Post
    Quick question.. You say to uncheck the Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time in Odin, but in watching QBKing77's tutorial, he only unchecks the Auto Reboot box.. Is there a reason why you say to uncheck it? Not that I'm questioning you, I just wanna be sure
    Not sure about F. Reset. But you don't want to allow the phone to Auto reboot because if the phone reboots after flashing the custom recovery the stock recovery will be reinstalled by the device. After flashing the custom recovery you need to boot dirctly into the custom recovery and use that to flash the root package which will modify the file that reinstalls the stock recovery upon reboot. Once that file is flashed you can freely reboot without losing custom recovery. ..QBking must be using a different method in his video. Just because odin is used doesn't mean it is the same method.

    From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
    Thanked by 2:
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #397  
    Skunkape60's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    4,518 Posts

    Default Re: [GUIDE] UPDATED: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

    Quote Originally Posted by tat21985 View Post
    Quick question.. You say to uncheck the Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time in Odin, but in watching QBKing77's tutorial, he only unchecks the Auto Reboot box.. Is there a reason why you say to uncheck it? Not that I'm questioning you, I just wanna be sure
    The F. Reset Time didn't really matter. But the Auto Reboot must be unchecked. QBKing77 tutorial is fairly old and at the time it was made it didn't matter if the Auto Reboot was checked. Now it does.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
    Thanked by:
  23. #398  

    Default Re: [GUIDE] UPDATED: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

    Well im back, I'm having a problem with my phone after I rooted the other day its been echoing when I'm on the phone with someone, just my voice. I don't know if it has something to do with the root process or if its something to do with the fact that I installed beats audio installer. I rooted then got the app right after so I have no clue which one caused it
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #399  
    Skunkape60's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    4,518 Posts

    Default Re: [GUIDE] UPDATED: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

    Quote Originally Posted by dr3am3r619 View Post
    Well im back, I'm having a problem with my phone after I rooted the other day its been echoing when I'm on the phone with someone, just my voice. I don't know if it has something to do with the root process or if its something to do with the fact that I installed beats audio installer. I rooted then got the app right after so I have no clue which one caused it
    Try the beats. During should have no effect on anything.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
  25. #400  

    Default Re: [GUIDE] UPDATED: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

    Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    Try the beats. During should have no effect on anything.
    Also beats audio is just where it installs the drivers I don't know if anyone is familiar with it so there isn't anyway to uninstall supposedly. But if I flash a custom ROM wouldn't that uninstall the driver for beats?
Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

B