Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 21222324252627 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Default Re: [GUIDE] UPDATED10/23/2013: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

Quote Originally Posted by bloodsaw405 View Post
    Not anyone one person knows what is going on. My things will not mount so I can't root my s3. In recovery, nothing will mount so I can't flash anything. Not a single living being knows what is wrong. I am almost deeming this unrootable
    Try this thread: [Tutorial] Rooting the Sprint GalaxyS3 the Easy Way - xda-developers
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.

Default Re: [GUIDE] UPDATED: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

Thank you for this walk through I've used it flawlessly many of times

When I click the link, it's asking me to sign up for a site, is this what we're supposed to do?

No. What link are you clicking?

Quote Originally Posted by lordnykon21 View Post
    When I click the link, it's asking me to sign up for a site, is this what we're supposed to do?
    You shouldn't have to sign up for anything. Do you have a screen shot?

Will this method still work fine after updating to 4.3?

Quote Originally Posted by troy89031 View Post
    Will this method still work fine after updating to 4.3?

No. 4.3 prevents the use of any custom recoveries, which preludes the use of any custom ROMS. It also bricks your phone if you try to downgrade back to a pre 4.3 ROM. In theory, you should be able to root and retain the stock recovery, but Ive not yet seen a method to do so.

For now, 4.3 is a one-way trip to a stock, unrootable phone.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.

My Sprint S3 is still running 4.1.2 and hasn't updated to 4.3 for some reason. Could I use this method with 4.1.2?

ROM
    MOAR 9

Quote Originally Posted by MSK01 View Post
    My Sprint S3 is still running 4.1.2 and hasn't updated to 4.3 for some reason. Could I use this method with 4.1.2?
    Yes this method is for 4.1.2, you cannot use it if you have 4.3.
    HTC One (M8) Stock For Now.
    David
    Thanked by:
    MSK01 

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    No. 4.3 prevents the use of any custom recoveries, which preludes the use of any custom ROMS. It also bricks your phone if you try to downgrade back to a pre 4.3 ROM. In theory, you should be able to root and retain the stock recovery, but Ive not yet seen a method to do so.

For now, 4.3 is a one-way trip to a stock, unrootable phone.
    Just an FYI...CNexus over at XDA has posted a rooted 4.3 stock ROM. [STOCK ROM] Stock 4.3 MK3 ROM [ROOTED/UNROOTED] - xda-developers

It does require some additional steps to remove KNOX and apply a wifi fix (but it jacks up the home screen rotation).

I did end up flashing the MK3 modem without issue and I'm still running 4.1.2.
    Thanked by:

I have a sprint g3 flashed to page plus.. do you know if this method would interfere with the carrier flash at all?

It shouldn't cause any problems, but I don't have any personal experience with phones flashed to other carriers.

I went ahead and did it. Worked and flash still in tact. Thanks for the confidence boost!

Thank you for all this information. I rooted my phone today.Could not have done without this site. It went fast. If I could do it anyone can. Followed all the steps and I did it. Main reason I did it was I felt the phone was not mine even though I purchased it. Some silly apps need to be removed and I could not. Now I can. I feel like I'm in control of "my" phone. I read through everyones posts and learned from everyone. "Thank you" to all.

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Does anyone know of a way to root this phone without using a computer at all? It seems as though the data pins in my phone's USB port are shorted or corrupted and I cannot communicate with my phone via the USB connection...not even in Download mode. I'm on LJ7 4.1.1. I was rooted but got unrooted through a failed OTA update and am finding it difficult to do anything I want to do now. Rooting, custom recovery, custom roms....

Check out mobile odin: [2013.11.04][ROOT] Mobile ODIN v3.85 - xda-developers

I've not used it, so I don't know if it will do what you need or not, but it may.

I use Mobile Odin Pro. It sounds like it's what you're looking for. However, it requires root.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

hello for some reason i cant get my sprint galaxy s3 to root after following everything to a tee everything goes through except when i try to install from sd card in cwm it reads error cant mount everything reads error can somebody help

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Brown1 View Post
    hello for some reason i cant get my sprint galaxy s3 to root after following everything to a tee everything goes through except when i try to install from sd card in cwm it reads error cant mount everything reads error can somebody help
    Newer gS3's are protected.
    This thread's author has an updated file to allow the SD card to mount.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    The newer gs3's come with protection against rooting flashing. The cwm and twrp recoveries have been hacked to allow the mounting. My root kit on xda has the proper files in it. I may update this guide tomorrow with new links to the hacked recoveries if I can remember.
    [Tutorial] Rooting the Sprint GalaxyS3 the Easy Way - xda-developers

Hope this helps.
    SPH-L710, Note 10.1 2014

Also, if you've accepted the update to Android 4.3, I suspect this will no longer work.

So.. I'd successfully gone through all of the steps, but since I didn't realize I had updated to 4.3 the Super User kept getting blocked. I tried to revert to before I rooted, but now I'm stuck in a boot loop. Freaking out just a little bit, and I don't know where to start as far as resetting. Any help would be extremely appreciated. D:

I guess I should add that I do have the correct phone for this method, I just had updated before without realizing.

I followed the instructions in this thread about a year ago and rooted my Spring GS3. I have been very happy with the results, however I repeatedly get an intrusive message trying to get me to install an update. Is this the dreaded "4.3" that we don't want? Is there a way to make this go away? It's really annoying. Thanks in advance for any help!

Yes, there is a way to make the annoying 4.3 update go away. What ROM are you on, because if it's Wicked Sensations there is a fix in the build prop editor that can be done in recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by porkyhontas View Post
    Yes, there is a way to make the annoying 4.3 update go away. What ROM are you on, because if it's Wicked Sensations there is a fix in the build prop editor that can be done in recovery.

Not sure. How do you find that out? I'm a noob! Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by maddogflyer View Post
    Not sure. How do you find that out? I'm a noob! Thanks,
    If you are on Wicked Sensations ROM v5.0 go here to xda-developers and this will explain everything. Once you follow these steps your annoying 4.3 update will disappear. I was having the same problem a few days ago on my Wicked Sensations ROM and this cured it. You will find out that if you accept the 4.3 update from Sprint it will unroot your phone and prevent you from rooting it again.