Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree62Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #76  
    Retired Ambassador

Default Re: [GUIDE] UPDATED: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    How do I make sure it's not in a folder on my phone?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    If you are easily lost in the file system. The easiest way would be to re download the file to your computer. Plug your phone into the computer. Go to my computer . Open internal sd card and copy the file to your phone. By right clicking on the phone and choose paste.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif

You 'da man! I did that & it went to my ext sd. I was able to see it there OUT of a folder. Thanks for your help!

3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #78  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    You 'da man! I did that & it went to my ext sd. I was able to see it there OUT of a folder. Thanks for your help!

No problem glad I could help. On a side note. I'm at a football stadium for my daughter's band competition (marching) and I have 4g lte for the first time. Almost 13mb down and almost 12mb up.

the last update to LG8 that I did, was by downloading the update file manually in a zip, going into clockwork, flashing the update, then re-flashing the (TeamEpic)root.zip file.. Now that LI3 is out for the phone, has anyone done this exact method to see if it works as well? If so does anyone have the LI3 update that could be downloaded to flash? I can't find the correct one at XDA..
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #80  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by r3ddawn View Post
    the last update to LG8 that I did, was by downloading the update file manually in a zip, going into clockwork, flashing the update, then re-flashing the (TeamEpic)root.zip file.. Now that LI3 is out for the phone, has anyone done this exact method to see if it works as well? If so does anyone have the LI3 update that could be downloaded to flash? I can't find the correct one at XDA..
    Here you go. This should be everything you need...

This is the Stock rooted LI3 update but without the radio. So you will have to also download and flash the LI3 modem separately. Both links provided below for your flashing pleasure. You should be able to flash both of these by just wiping cache and dalvik.

I'm confused on the first step when you say to put it into download mode...when I do that, my phone says "Downloading...Do not turn off target!!!" When I connect a usb while in download mode I dont get anything in the com id box. They only way it does show up is when my phone is on normally aand connected with USB but if I try and push the file over it fails...any idea what I am doing wrong? I appreciate your help.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #82  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by sydewayz soundz View Post
    I'm confused on the first step when you say to put it into download mode...when I do that, my phone says "Downloading...Do not turn off target!!!" When I connect a usb while in download mode I dont get anything in the com id box. They only way it does show up is when my phone is on normally aand connected with USB but if I try and push the file over it fails...any idea what I am doing wrong? I appreciate your help.
    First question i have to ask. I see every post you've made up to this point has been in the LG Optimus forum and your profile says you have the LG Optimus. Which phone are you trying to root?

If you are trying to root the Samsung GS3 the most likely issue is improperly installed drivers, the usb cable or poor usb port.

The midst likely culprit is the drivers.

I just got the Samsung S3 Sprint. This is the phone I am trying to root...brand new USB cable, switched it and tried it on every usb port on my laptop. I installed the drivers and made sure they were checked green before I proceeded. I am just stuck here and not sure as to what I should do...

The error message I am getting is cannot open the COM port...if that helps any...
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #85  
    Retired Ambassador

I just got the Samsung S3 Sprint. This is the phone I am trying to root...brand new USB cable, switched it and tried it on every usb port on my laptop. I installed the drivers and made sure they were checked green before I proceeded. I am just stuck here and not sure as to what I should do...
    Do you remember how many items were loaded as in green checked.

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    Do you remember how many items were loaded as in green checked.
    Yes there were 4 of them
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #87  
    Retired Ambassador

Yes there were 4 of them
    Turn off your phone and unplug it from the usb. Restart your computer. Open odin. Boot your phone into download mode and plug it in again...
    Thanked by:

Turn off your phone and unplug it from the usb. Restart your computer. Open odin. Boot your phone into download mode and plug it in again...
    That did the trick....1000000 Thank yous!!!
    Thanked by:
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #89  
    Retired Ambassador

That did the trick....1000000 Thank yous!!!

Here you go. This should be everything you need...

This is the Stock rooted LI3 update but without the radio. So you will have to also download and flash the LI3 modem separately. Both links provided below for your flashing pleasure. You should be able to flash both of these by just wiping cache and dalvik.

thanks for the links my friend... I noticed on the guide you wrote an updated version of Clockwork. I have v5.5.04 installed and had no idea a newer version was out. 5.8.4.7.. Do I have to flash that via odin or can I simply flash it via Clockwork to update? I'm guessing Odin because usually it's a zip file to update via Clockwork.. Maybe I need to find the zip over at XDA..
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #91  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by r3ddawn View Post
    thanks for the links my friend... I noticed on the guide you wrote an updated version of Clockwork. I have v5.5.04 installed and had no idea a newer version was out. 5.8.4.7.. Do I have to flash that via odin or can I simply flash it via Clockwork to update? I'm guessing Odin because usually it's a zip file to update via Clockwork.. Maybe I need to find the zip over at XDA..

Actually if you look at the first post of this thread you will see that the most recent cwm version is 6.0.1.2. If you see already rooted, the easiest way is to flash it is with Mobile Odin. But yes you can flash it with desktop Odin as well. The advantage to Mobile Odin is you can flash from your phone without a computer and it doesn't add to your flash counts. The instructions for installing and using mobile phone is here somewhere. I will find it for you and put it here in a moment...

Actually if you look at the first post of this thread you will see that the most recent cwm version is 6.0.1.2. If you see already rooted, the easiest way is to flash it is with Mobile Odin. But yes you can flash it with desktop Odin as well. The advantage to Mobile Odin is you can flash from your phone without a computer and it doesn't add to your flash counts. The instructions for installing and using mobile phone is here somewhere. I will find it for you and put it here in a moment...
    Hey thanks for the head's up on Mobile Odin, had no idea that was out. I went and bought the pro verson from the play store and flashed, all is good to go.. thanks again!! If you do find the instructions I'm sure posting them will help other users in the future, as this is a great guide for people coming to the Sprint GS3 wanting root... again thanks!

haha i did the same thing....

I followed the instructions step by step and everything went well. Except the part to go into download mode. You didn't say the phone had to be off. lol. Also, I downloaded the TeamEpic root recovery and the file was corrupt. The file that is saved in your all in one zip file works though..

Ok, so now im rooted. Ummm now what? What's so special I don't see any difference in my phone.

Why did you root in the first place?

Swyped from my SPH-L710
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #96  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by galaxy408 View Post
    I followed the instructions step by step and everything went well. Except the part to go into download mode. You didn't say the phone had to be off. lol. Also, I downloaded the TeamEpic root recovery and the file was corrupt. The file that is saved in your all in one zip file works though..

Ok, so now im rooted. Ummm now what? What's so special I don't see any difference in my phone.
    It's the same file downloaded from the same place. You got a bad download.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #97  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by galaxy408 View Post

Thanks, I added a Note: "Phone should be off prior to attempting to go into Download or Recovery Modes"

I rooted my phone with this guide a while back and things went great - I removed bloatware, set up tethering and call recording, and a few other things as well. However, I'm getting a popup for an OTA software update and I'm afraid it'll either force itself onto the phone like my last phone did, or that I'll accidentally accept it someday. If I restore the bloatware apps I removed with NoBloat Free (I backed them up individually) then apply the OTA update all I'll have to do is follow this guide again to re-root it, correct? This guide shouldn't suddenly become obsolete or anything, I assume? I also heard the term "soft-bricking" once or twice - should I unroot before I do this update?
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #99  
    Retired Ambassador

If you don't want the update just accept it. Let it boot to recovery. Choose to install the unknown update. Then confirm your choice. It will fail and not bother you again. It will not effect what you are currently running.
    Thanked by:
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #100  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Halifax View Post
    I rooted my phone with this guide a while back and things went great - I removed bloatware, set up tethering and call recording, and a few other things as well. However, I'm getting a popup for an OTA software update and I'm afraid it'll either force itself onto the phone like my last phone did, or that I'll accidentally accept it someday. If I restore the bloatware apps I removed with NoBloat Free (I backed them up individually) then apply the OTA update all I'll have to do is follow this guide again to re-root it, correct? This guide shouldn't suddenly become obsolete or anything, I assume? I also heard the term "soft-bricking" once or twice - should I unroot before I do this update?
    Here is the easiest way to update if that's what you want to do.

Download these files to your phone.

Save both the files to your external sdcard or internal sdcard
    boot into Recovery
    Make a nadroid backup
    Wipe Cache
    Wipe Dalvik
    Flash LI3_update_FULL_Odex.zip
    Flash SprintGalaxyS3LI3Modem.zip
    Reboot
    You should be good....
    Thanked by: