Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Default Re: [GUIDE] UPDATED: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

This is the third OTA system update that's popped up in one week. I keep telling it to install, it keeps failing the install, and a day or two later it pops up again. Are these all different updates somehow or is it just pestering me for the same one? It's a big relief to know that these are harmless (and useless) after rooting but they're getting to be an annoyance. Any suggestions, or just keep attempting to install them every 2 days?
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #102  
    Retired Ambassador

This is the third OTA system update that's popped up in one week. I keep telling it to install, it keeps failing the install, and a day or two later it pops up again. Are these all different updates somehow or is it just pestering me for the same one? It's a big relief to know that these are harmless (and useless) after rooting but they're getting to be an annoyance. Any suggestions, or just keep attempting to install them every 2 days?
    Many developers will make an updated build prop which will kill it until the next update. Which run are you on?
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    Many developers will make an updated build prop which will kill it until the next update. Which run are you on?
    I don't really know. I glanced at the output from the last flash attempt and I think it had an 8 in it, and was trying to flash to LI3. From the post you made telling me how to update to LI3, that won't wipe any of my data or cause me to lose root, will it?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #104  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Halifax View Post
    I don't really know. I glanced at the output from the last flash attempt and I think it had an 8 in it, and was trying to flash to LI3. From the post you made telling me how to update to LI3, that won't wipe any of my data or cause me to lose root, will it?
    If you are already rooted and have a custom recovery, flash the 2 files in post# 100 in this thread. Wipe cache and dalvik only and you shouldn't loose any data or apps. The ROM is a rooted ROM so you won't loose root.
    Thanked by:

Hey ya'll!
    I rooted my phone with your guide and it was awesome...thanks for that!
    I have the same issue as Halifax right now. I also keep getting he System Update notification, and it looks like post #100 is the answer. Problem is: I don't know how to actually do the steps of the post. I can figure some of them out but: how do I boot it into recovery, how do I make an Android backup, how do I wipe the cache and dalvik, and how do I "Flash" the zips...fortunately at least I know how to reboot
    Is all of that pretty much what I did when I rooted it? If so which steps?

Is this the Jellybean update i've been waiting for? Will i need to reroot? reconfigure all my apps and all that?

Thanks in advance man, you rock!
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #106  
    Retired Ambassador

Hey ya'll!
    I rooted my phone with your guide and it was awesome...thanks for that!
    I have the same issue as Halifax right now. I also keep getting he System Update notification, and it looks like post #100 is the answer. Problem is: I don't know how to actually do the steps of the post. I can figure some of them out but: how do I boot it into recovery, how do I make an Android backup, how do I wipe the cache and dalvik, and how do I "Flash" the zips...fortunately at least I know how to reboot
    Is all of that pretty much what I did when I rooted it? If so which steps?

Is this the Jellybean update i've been waiting for? Will i need to reroot? reconfigure all my apps and all that?

Thanks in advance man, you rock!
    Here is another guide for you. If you have any more questions on how to flash after reading it, ask in that thread.

[GUIDE] How to Flash in Custom Recovery
    Thanked by:
    d0g

Quote Originally Posted by Rosaura1234 View Post
    Useful information,but if it works?
    The guides were great. It worked just fine for me. But that uupdate I did all this for didn't do squat
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #109  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by yomny View Post
    Dont know if you already had an answer to your question but yes it does work with MyFavs, you will get either get an icon on the Home screenwhich you touch it and it functions as an app. ittakes you to sreen with your Favs, and you also have the my favs icon in the pull out tab where all the other apps are in.
    Lol.... could have told you that... but you must be up to date to receive the big one coming tomorrow.

So I just read that we will be getting jb over the air shortly, and i was wondering if I should root my phone now and update later (which i will have to learn how) or if I should wait for the update from sprint, and then root? And if i wait, would all of this greatness provided above still work the same?
    d0g

Quote Originally Posted by Weazrbmxr View Post
    So I just read that we will be getting jb over the air shortly, and i was wondering if I should root my phone now and update later (which i will have to learn how) or if I should wait for the update from sprint, and then root? And if i wait, would all of this greatness provided above still work the same?
    +1 ... I have the same question!

If you are not rooted and are new to rooting, I think you should get the update, then root.

Swyped from my SPH-L710
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #113  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by dcharleyultra View Post
    If you are not rooted and are new to rooting, I think you should get the update, then root.

Swyped from my SPH-L710
    Agreed...

Getting my phone in the mail today, trying to read up as much as I can.

The only thing I really care about that I want to root the phone for is for tethering. Can anyone assure me that after I go through with this rooting process/update that tethering will work and Sprint won't know/care/charge me extra on an unlimited data plan, and that the Wireless Tether for Root Users will work?

I've been tethering with an old HTC Touch Pro for about 3 years now with no problem, but at the slower 3g speeds which sucks. Hopefully with the wimax and 4g support with this new phone it will be a lot faster and I can stream videos at work on my laptop again.

Great, thanks for the input, i will wait a bit then. But all of the rooting instructions and kits provided in this guide will still work the same right? Jellybean won't require some new processes or programs? Thanks for all your help guys
    d0g

Default [GUIDE] UPDATED: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

Quote Originally Posted by ToriLeighR View Post
    Getting my phone in the mail today, trying to read up as much as I can.

The only thing I really care about that I want to root the phone for is for tethering. Can anyone assure me that after I go through with this rooting process/update that tethering will work and Sprint won't know/care/charge me extra on an unlimited data plan, and that the Wireless Tether for Root Users will work?

I've been tethering with an old HTC Touch Pro for about 3 years now with no problem, but at the slower 3g speeds which sucks. Hopefully with the wimax and 4g support with this new phone it will be a lot faster and I can stream videos at work on my laptop again.
    Afaik, no tethering apps work on JB yet!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Rooted. Also is there a reason the root didn't wipe my internal memory? I thought that always happens?
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #118  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by ExTheGod View Post
    Rooted. Also is there a reason the root didn't wipe my internal memory? I thought that always happens?
    Nope... Not this method.

Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    ROM
    Goodness 3.0.0

Hey guys...Just curious. Im on the first step and in Odin im trying to install the recovery. Odin is stuck in "RESET"....doesnt say "PASSED>....where should i go from here? is ok to disconnect from the PC?

EDIT>..nevermind...took about 2mins to complete lol...first Sammy device here lol...my bad guys
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #120  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by reverepats View Post
    Hey guys...Just curious. Im on the first step and in Odin im trying to install the recovery. Odin is stuck in "RESET"....doesnt say "PASSED>....where should i go from here? is ok to disconnect from the PC?

EDIT>..nevermind...took about 2mins to complete lol...first Sammy device here lol...my bad guys
    Reset is fine.

ROM

Newbie needs help: Will this method get me rooted with CWM on my sprint GS3 LJ7?
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #122  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by nuyawker2000@ View Post
    Newbie needs help: Will this method get me rooted with CWM on my sprint GS3 LJ7?
    Yes it will.

Activate Phone??

I installed the old way and it seemed to work ok, but when I rebooted my phone, it tried to Activate via sprint over the air. I read on through the rest of the post and found that that thread was no longer relevant! Crap.
    Anyway...I did the new way, everything is fine, BUT my phone is still trying to activate over the sprint network. It's as if I have a totally new phone. I keep canceling it for fear that it will send my new rooted status to Sprint...
    1) what would have caused this?
    2) should I just let it "activate" and see what happens?

Thanks in advance!
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #124  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by EVEVO View Post
    Activate Phone??

I installed the old way and it seemed to work ok, but when I rebooted my phone, it tried to Activate via sprint over the air. I read on through the rest of the post and found that that thread was no longer relevant! Crap.
    Anyway...I did the new way, everything is fine, BUT my phone is still trying to activate over the sprint network. It's as if I have a totally new phone. I keep canceling it for fear that it will send my new rooted status to Sprint...
    1) what would have caused this?
    2) should I just let it "activate" and see what happens?

Thanks in advance!
    There is no reason for it to activating. The only way it should be doing that is if you chose it under the settings. Try going into updates and update profile.

Are you sure is trying to activate and not update? There is an ota update coming to your phone. My best guess is it's trying to update your phone not activate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    There is no reason for it to activating. The only way it should be doing that is if you chose it under the settings. Try going into updates and update profile.

Are you sure is trying to activate and not update? There is an ota update coming to your phone. My best guess is it's trying to update your phone not activate it.
    It was definitely not the OTA. That was separate message. Trying your suggestion, I accidentally hit "activate this device" in the menu and it started activating. I quickly pulled the battery, but not before it activated I think. Upon reboot, i now do not see the "activation" screen. So I went and tried to make a call. It gave me an error 16. A quick search on Error 16 shows that it is a security measure by sprint to determine if your phone is "hacked". Well, I certainly hacked my phone! People say that if you stay on the line that Sprint will fix it quickly. I'm sure "hacked" means rooted and I'm not sure what steps to take to avoid having this happen to anyone else. I was surprised that I was the only one on this forum to whom this has happened.
    I found this on another board...not sure if it's bad form to post from another board, but here it is http://androidforums.com/cdma-evo-3d...16-sprint.html
    Thanks for the quick response. I'll post again if Sprint fixes it, and post again (from my computer) if they send armored guards to my house to take my rooted phone

Update: Sprint rep, "Sir, whatever you did, changing settings or hardware or something has triggered a security measure for your phone. I'm going to need to reestablish the connection and it will take a few minutes." me: "what causes that?" Sprint:"soft reset, software install, or something else...sometimes when you do those things the information is not fully registered" "we can't tell me exactly what triggered the event, but if you dial *2 they might be able to tell you."

Anyway, I turn off my phone for 2 minutes and now it's working again...data, calls, rooting, etc. Woo hoo!
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast