Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Default Re: [GUIDE] UPDATED: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

yes it does! thanks

I am trying to root my new s3 with this method. I have installed drivers, i have odin running and it sees the phone when its in download mode. The problem is the computer dosnt see the pnoe so I cant tell odin the path to the recovery file in the s3 root folder. any ideas?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #203  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Irish#AC View Post
    I am trying to root my new s3 with this method. I have installed drivers, i have odin running and it sees the phone when its in download mode. The problem is the computer dosnt see the pnoe so I cant tell odin the path to the recovery file in the s3 root folder. any ideas?
    Read the instructions... the root from recovery file is flashed from recovery not Odin. Pull the battey. Disconnect the phone from the computer. Put the battery back in. And boot to recovery.

The file your flashing in Odin is on your computer. Recovery.tar.
    Last edited by Skunkape60; 11-27-2012 at 04:07 PM.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif

I have a rooted Epic 4G Touch. I just bought my partner a GS3 for Sprint and want to root it. He's out of town and I'll see him next week. Can I root the phone now and activate it when I see him? I don't want to encounter any problems.

Thanks
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #205  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by cajunlibra View Post
    I have a rooted Epic 4G Touch. I just bought my partner a GS3 for Sprint and want to root it. He's out of town and I'll see him next week. Can I root the phone now and activate it when I see him? I don't want to encounter any problems.

Thanks
    I do not know if Sprint sees (If anything), so I can't say for sure. I doubt it will make a difference but I really don't want to give out the wrong information.

This is a great thread and an easy way to root, so first off thanks. But the problem I'm running into is that even after running through the entire process, I still don't have root access. I'm trying to change system files and it won't let me. And I'm trying to create a free mifi hot spot but that's not working either. Any suggestions for these issues?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #207  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by jjackson20 View Post
    This is a great thread and an easy way to root, so first off thanks. But the problem I'm running into is that even after running through the entire process, I still don't have root access. I'm trying to change system files and it won't let me. And I'm trying to create a free mifi hot spot but that's not working either. Any suggestions for these issues?
    Download root checker from the play store. If it shows you have root, then it's the app you are using. The stock files app won't show system files. You will need to install esfile explorer from the playstore.

For Wi-Fi tether, go to the playstore and install SuperSu. Then download and install the Wi-Fi tether found on this thread.

Thumbs up Re: [GUIDE] UPDATED: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    Download root checker from the play store. If it shows you have root, then it's the app you are using. The stock files app won't show system files. You will need to install esfile explorer from the playstore.

For Wi-Fi tether, go to the playstore and install SuperSu. Then download and install the Wi-Fi tether found on this thread.
    Thanks the root access checked out, but I still am unable to change files in the system folders. (I'm trying to get rid of that stupid camera shutter sound) And the link you gave me for XDA led to a dead page. Was there more to that URL?

Thanks again!
    Last edited by jjackson20; 11-29-2012 at 12:16 AM.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #209  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by jjackson20 View Post
    Thanks the root access checked out, but I still am unable to change files in the system folders. (I'm trying to get rid of that stupid camera shutter sound) And the link you gave me for XDA led to a dead page. Was there more to that URL?

Thanks again!
    Have you installed es file explorer?

You guys need to start reading. This was posted in the thread about how it disable you camera sounds. The thread wasn't that long...

The stock "My Files" app will NOT work for this. Download Es File Explorer File Manager from the playstore (it is free and will serve our purposes.) Do NOT try to install ES File Explorer (1.5 Cupcake).

After installing from the market open es file explorer and say yes to the version 1.6.1.6 splash screen and push the menu button, now press settings(you will see a little gear icon). Now that your in the settings, scroll to the bottom and check the box "Root Explorer" It will give you a silly warning about SU Request ignore the warning and press the "Yes" Button. If you are properly rooted a Superuser Request button should come up. choose "Allow". Now check the box "Mount File System" You are now setup to read and write from es file explorer.

Press your back button (Once) to exit the settings menu. In the top left of your screen you will see a star and favorites. press that button. In the favorites menu you will see a phone icon. push the "Phone Icon"

Scroll down to the system folder and press on it.
    Find the "Media Folder" and press on it.
    Find the "Audio Folder" and press on it.
    Find the "UI Folder" and press on it.
    Scroll down to the "Shutter.ogg file". Press and Hold until the menu shows up and choose rename. Rename file to Shutter.ogg.bak by adding .bak to the end. Click ok when done.
    Find "Shutter _multiple.ogg" Complete the same steps as you previously did with Shutter.ogg.

Back out of the ES File explorer app and reboot your phone and enjoy your silent shutter.
    Last edited by Skunkape60; 11-29-2012 at 03:32 AM.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #210  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Woods7Van View Post
    Now that your phone is rooted you can reset your custom binary counts (if you would like) by following these simple directions.

These are already posted on the 2nd post in this thread.

Quick and painless root, thank you!

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

How do i remove this? since i installed this, my PC wont recognize my Device... PLEASE HELP!
    Last edited by HondaPixi; 11-29-2012 at 06:37 PM.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #213  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by HondaPixi View Post
    How do i remove this? since i installed this, my PC wont recognize my Device... PLEASE HELP!
    Root has nothing to do with your pc not recognizing your phone. Let's try fixing it first. Here's what I want you to try...

1. Right click on my computer.
    2. Choose Properties
    3. Choose advanced advanced system settings
    4. from the hardware tab click "device installation settings"
    5. select "no,... Never install driver software from windows update.
    Close

Now do the following

1. go to your computers control panel / add and remove software (win xp) or programs and features windows 7.
    2. Uninstall Kies and Samsung drivers.
    3. When complete, restart computer and phone.

4. Install the drivers on your computer but do not plug in your phone until it has completed.
    5. plug in your phone that is already started. It should now recognize your phone and at the bottom right corner say it is installing the software for your phone. click on view details. Several drivers should load and as it progresses green checks will appear when successful.
    Last edited by Skunkape60; 11-29-2012 at 09:26 PM.
    Thanked by:
    HondaPixi likes this.

Default Re: [GUIDE] UPDATED: How to Root Your Galaxy S3

Can I root my s3 from my macbook?
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #215  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki1 View Post
    Can I root my s3 from my macbook?
    Not using this procedure. You will have to load hiemdal on your Mac. I have yet to talk to anyone who has successfully accomplished this.

Wow. That was crazy easy! Took less than 5 minutes and I took my time! Thanks much.
    Samsung Galaxy S3 rooted with stock ROM
    Asus/Google Nexus 7 FHD (2nd Gen.) 32GB
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #217  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by TigerDave View Post
    Wow. That was crazy easy! Took less than 5 minutes and I took my time! Thanks much.
    Yup. It really doesn't get much easier than this. The Gs3 is among the easiest phones to root. Probably rooted and unrooted this close to 50 times since I got it on launch day.
    Thanked by:
    xLostInFlamesx likes this.

Awesome job on the tutorial!

Sorry if this has been asked but will this method wipe my phone? I just want t root and keep my existing OS,apps,Ext

If not, is there a method to root without wiping everything?
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #220  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by mrhankey184 View Post
    Sorry if this has been asked but will this method wipe my phone? I just want t root and keep my existing OS,apps,Ext

If not, is there a method to root without wiping everything?
    This shouldn't wipe anything

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    This shouldn't wipe anything
    Thanks for responding skunk. So if I follow your method in the first post I will keep all information, settings, and screens?
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #222  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by mrhankey184 View Post
    Thanks for responding skunk. So if I follow your method in the first post I will keep all information, settings, and screens?
    Yup...

Yes! Your guides are always the best!

Global Posts
    84 Global Posts

Does this mean that the method and files at the top of this 23 pg thread work with all Sprint GS3 independent of OS version.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #225  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by liv2surf View Post
    Does this mean that the method and files at the top of this 23 pg thread work with all Sprint GS3 independent of OS version.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Yes that's exactly what it means.
    Thanked by:
Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast