[GUIDE] UPDATED: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

Halifax

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
This is the third OTA system update that's popped up in one week. I keep telling it to install, it keeps failing the install, and a day or two later it pops up again. Are these all different updates somehow or is it just pestering me for the same one? It's a big relief to know that these are harmless (and useless) after rooting but they're getting to be an annoyance. Any suggestions, or just keep attempting to install them every 2 days?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
This is the third OTA system update that's popped up in one week. I keep telling it to install, it keeps failing the install, and a day or two later it pops up again. Are these all different updates somehow or is it just pestering me for the same one? It's a big relief to know that these are harmless (and useless) after rooting but they're getting to be an annoyance. Any suggestions, or just keep attempting to install them every 2 days?

Many developers will make an updated build prop which will kill it until the next update. Which run are you on?

Halifax

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Many developers will make an updated build prop which will kill it until the next update. Which run are you on?

I don't really know. I glanced at the output from the last flash attempt and I think it had an 8 in it, and was trying to flash to LI3. From the post you made telling me how to update to LI3, that won't wipe any of my data or cause me to lose root, will it?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't really know. I glanced at the output from the last flash attempt and I think it had an 8 in it, and was trying to flash to LI3. From the post you made telling me how to update to LI3, that won't wipe any of my data or cause me to lose root, will it?

If you are already rooted and have a custom recovery, flash the 2 files in post# 100 in this thread. Wipe cache and dalvik only and you shouldn't loose any data or apps. The ROM is a rooted ROM so you won't loose root.

IsrAndroid

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Hey ya'll!
I rooted my phone with your guide and it was awesome...thanks for that!
I have the same issue as Halifax right now. I also keep getting he System Update notification, and it looks like post #100 is the answer. Problem is: I don't know how to actually do the steps of the post. I can figure some of them out but: how do I boot it into recovery, how do I make an Android backup, how do I wipe the cache and dalvik, and how do I "Flash" the zips...fortunately at least I know how to reboot ;)
Is all of that pretty much what I did when I rooted it? If so which steps?

Is this the Jellybean update i've been waiting for? Will i need to reroot? reconfigure all my apps and all that?

Thanks in advance man, you rock!

Last edited:

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Hey ya'll!
I rooted my phone with your guide and it was awesome...thanks for that!
I have the same issue as Halifax right now. I also keep getting he System Update notification, and it looks like post #100 is the answer. Problem is: I don't know how to actually do the steps of the post. I can figure some of them out but: how do I boot it into recovery, how do I make an Android backup, how do I wipe the cache and dalvik, and how do I "Flash" the zips...fortunately at least I know how to reboot ;)
Is all of that pretty much what I did when I rooted it? If so which steps?

Is this the Jellybean update i've been waiting for? Will i need to reroot? reconfigure all my apps and all that?

Thanks in advance man, you rock!

Here is another guide for you. If you have any more questions on how to flash after reading it, ask in that thread.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=210987

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Dont know if you already had an answer to your question but yes it does work with MyFavs, you will get either get an icon on the Home screenwhich you touch it and it functions as an app. ittakes you to sreen with your Favs, and you also have the my favs icon in the pull out tab where all the other apps are in.

Lol.... could have told you that... but you must be up to date to receive the big one coming tomorrow.

Weazrbmxr

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
So I just read that we will be getting jb over the air shortly, and i was wondering if I should root my phone now and update later (which i will have to learn how) or if I should wait for the update from sprint, and then root? And if i wait, would all of this greatness provided above still work the same?

d0g

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
So I just read that we will be getting jb over the air shortly, and i was wondering if I should root my phone now and update later (which i will have to learn how) or if I should wait for the update from sprint, and then root? And if i wait, would all of this greatness provided above still work the same?

+1 ... I have the same question!

ToriLeighR

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Getting my phone in the mail today, trying to read up as much as I can.

The only thing I really care about that I want to root the phone for is for tethering. Can anyone assure me that after I go through with this rooting process/update that tethering will work and Sprint won't know/care/charge me extra on an unlimited data plan, and that the Wireless Tether for Root Users will work?

I've been tethering with an old HTC Touch Pro for about 3 years now with no problem, but at the slower 3g speeds which sucks. Hopefully with the wimax and 4g support with this new phone it will be a lot faster and I can stream videos at work on my laptop again.

Weazrbmxr

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Great, thanks for the input, i will wait a bit then. But all of the rooting instructions and kits provided in this guide will still work the same right? Jellybean won't require some new processes or programs? Thanks for all your help guys

d0g

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Getting my phone in the mail today, trying to read up as much as I can.

The only thing I really care about that I want to root the phone for is for tethering. Can anyone assure me that after I go through with this rooting process/update that tethering will work and Sprint won't know/care/charge me extra on an unlimited data plan, and that the Wireless Tether for Root Users will work?

I've been tethering with an old HTC Touch Pro for about 3 years now with no problem, but at the slower 3g speeds which sucks. Hopefully with the wimax and 4g support with this new phone it will be a lot faster and I can stream videos at work on my laptop again.

Afaik, no tethering apps work on JB yet!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ExTheGod

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Rooted. :D Also is there a reason the root didn't wipe my internal memory? I thought that always happens?

Last edited:

reverepats

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys...Just curious. Im on the first step and in Odin im trying to install the recovery. Odin is stuck in "RESET"....doesnt say "PASSED>....where should i go from here? is ok to disconnect from the PC?

EDIT>..nevermind...took about 2mins to complete lol...first Sammy device here lol...my bad guys

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys...Just curious. Im on the first step and in Odin im trying to install the recovery. Odin is stuck in "RESET"....doesnt say "PASSED>....where should i go from here? is ok to disconnect from the PC?

EDIT>..nevermind...took about 2mins to complete lol...first Sammy device here lol...my bad guys

Reset is fine.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad