[GUIDE] UPDATED: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

Tibedabeeto

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Yeah thats what I meant. Does that mean I cant unroot it? Meaning the techs at sprint store will noticed I tinkered with my device?

O also sfhub created a odin one click tool for the S2 where it wont trigger the count.

Sumpm

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Using the Odin method, it's absolutely not rooting.

Also note: when booting into recovery mode, I don't have an option to install from SD card. These are my options:

reboot system now
apply update from ADB
apply update from external storage
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition
apply update from cache

Last edited:

Sumpm

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Your recovery is still stock. What are you flashing with Odin?

I'm following the instructions literally word for word. Apart from that, is there something else I should have known to do ahead of time?

Edit:

Is there something between these 2 instructions that has been left out? Obviously, I copied the TeamEpic-Root-from-Recovery file on my SD card, but I haven't installed the recovery because I was never told to, per the write-up.

Download the following file and place it on the root of either the internal or external SdCard. I prefer the external as that is where cwm defaults to.

The Recovery that you installed is a touch screen recovery. You will not need use the buttons to navigate through the recovery menus.

Last edited:

Sumpm

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Then you're doing something wrong. You need to read it again. You've seem to have missed a huge part of the guide.
You're right, I did. I missed the part where I was supposed to use my file explorer to install the recovery from inside of the Android OS. I now have root, so thanks for the help!

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
You're right, I did. I missed the part where I was supposed to use my file explorer to install the recovery from inside of the Android OS. I now have root, so thanks for the help!

I wrote this guide and I honestly have no idea what your talking about. Nothing is installed from inside the android os. The team epic root from recovery can be downloaded and moved to the sd from inside of the android os but this is NOT recovery. f the os.

Recovery is installed in these steps:

Preparing your computer
You will need to download the following files to your desktop or notebook computer. Just click on the file names and that should download the file required. I would suggest you make a folder on your desktop and name it something like Root GS3. I have updated this and added the newest CWM touch version. You can use either one as they are both installed the same way. Odin3.07.zip ClockWorkMod Recovery.tar Version 5.8.4.7 or the updated one below ClockWorkMod Recovery.tar Version 6.0.1.2 After downloading the above files to your computer: 1. double click on the "Odin 3.07 zip". Copy the "Odin307" folder (That is inside the zip file) into your "Root GS3" folder. 2. Move "recovery.tar" into the Root GS3 Folder

Using Odin
1. Open the "Odin307" folder and right click on "Odin3 v3.07.exe" and choose run as administrator. Odin will open. 2. Remove battery cover from phone for future access 3. Place your phone into download mode. See above Download note. 4. Plug your usb cord to your phone and computer and wait until you see any number and com in the com block 5. Click on the PDA button and browse to "recovery.tar.md5" in your Root GS3 Folder. 6. Verify that both Auto Reboot and F. Rest Time are UNCHECKED. When all this is done Odin should look like this:
Odin%20Start.jpg
7. If everything is like the picture above click on the start button. It should move very quickly as recovery is a small file. It is normally completed within 10-20 seconds (depending on the speed of your computer and usb port). Anyway, Congratulations....

Sumpm

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I wrote this guide and I honestly have no idea what your talking about. Nothing is installed from inside the android os. The team epic root from recovery can be downloaded and moved to the sd from inside of the android os but everything is installed from Odin or Recovery. Both are outside of the os.

Anyway, Congratulations....

Strange. I had to use Root File Explorer to search for the recovery zip, then installed it through that while inside JB. Anyway, once I was done, the rest of the instructions finally worked properly.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Strange. I had to use Root File Explorer to search for the recovery zip, then installed it through that while inside JB. Anyway, once I was done, the rest of the instructions finally worked properly.

Actually I think you got two different guides mixed up. The recovery in this method is NOT EVEN a zip file.

Last edited:

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site

I think I figure out what is going on I an guessing that you used this method to update to jb. If so this is was not the correct guide for you.

Was this your way to update?

Anyone can do this regardless of what you have installed on your phone. It is a complete tar image of the Offiacial JellyBean being pushed by sprint. You will need to flash this tar file in Desktop Odin. This file has been prerooted and since it is official, it will not add to your flash counts. I am at work so I can't upload it to my server. but I will provide several links to get this. The instrucions for flashing is also linked below.This file while pre-rooted, doesn't install custom recovery. So you will have to install that yourself. This method will wipe data and apps.

Instructions

jb_prerooted_L710.exe

Please thank billard412 for his Contribution HERE.

One of these downloads is a self extracting zip that includes odin if you already have odin you won't need it

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I got the official Sprint JB update using this guide on Reddit last week: How to update your unrooted stock Sprint Galaxy S3 to Jelly Bean : GalaxyS3

I installed Root explorer after my JB update, but I wasn't able to use it for access to root folders until today. However, I was able to use it to get to the zip file, extract the recovery, and install the apk.

Revovery is not an apk. You have completely lost me.

Shut off your phone press volume up, power and home at the same time. As soon as you see the word samsung on your screen release all 3 buttons. Your ohone will boot into recovery mode in 10-20 seconds. After going into recovery what does it give as choices in the menu?

Sumpm

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
NOW, it gives the choices you listed in your tutorial, and it's all touch screen. Previously, it was the options list I posted above.

JohnTRN

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
SkunkApe60, this has been the best method I've run across for rooting the Samsung, but I seem to be experiencing a problem. The phone will not reboot. Here is what all I've done . . .

Had problems with phone not restarting after attempting to root with SuperOneClick. Can't access internal SDCard.

Copied TeamEpic-Root-from-Recovery-v5.zip to microSD Card and inserted.

Sprint Samsung G3 started in download mode

Odin3 v3.07 started

Phone connected by USB

<ID:0/014> Added!!
(this message after connected in download mode)

Auto Reboot unchecked
F. Reset Time unchecked
PDA checked and C:\Users\John\Desktop\Root GS3\recovery.tar.md5 chosen

<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> recovery.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
(this message after selecting recovery.tar.md5)

Start Odin

Messages after Start
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> recovery.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/014> Odin v.3 engine (ID:14)..
<ID:0/014> File analysis..
<ID:0/014> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/014> Initialzation..
<ID:0/014> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/014> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/014> recovery.img
<ID:0/014> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/014> RQT_CLOSE !!
<ID:0/014> RES OK !!
<ID:0/014> Remain Port .... 0
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0)

PASS! in top left corner

Remove Battery and disconnect phone from computer.

Recovery Mode
Samsung
Samsung G3 logo
ClcckworkMod Recovery v6.0.1.2

Install zip from SDCard
Choose zip from external sdcard
TeamEpic-Root-from-Recovery-v5.zip
Yes-install
Install from sdcard complete
Go Back
Reboot system now

Samsung on screen

Does not reboot.

Push and hold power button and nothing happens until I let go, then after a few seconds SAMSUNG appears on the screen.

I can boot back into Download OR Recovery mode . . .

I even tried a factory reset from Clockwork and it would not reboot.

Any suggestions on where I might be going wrong?

Thanks for looking!

John

PS - do have KIES_HOME_L710VPALI3_L710SPRALI3_1092716_REV03_user_low_ship.tar and am looking at the "[UPDATED][Sprint Only]UnRoot and Return to stock" instructions . . .

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
SkunkApe60, this has been the best method I've run across for rooting the Samsung, but I seem to be experiencing a problem. The phone will not reboot. Here is what all I've done . . .

Had problems with phone not restarting after attempting to root with SuperOneClick. Can't access internal SDCard.

Any suggestions on where I might be going wrong?

Thanks for looking!

John

PS - do have KIES_HOME_L710VPALI3_L710SPRALI3_1092716_REV03_user_low_ship.tar and am looking at the "[UPDATED][Sprint Only]UnRoot and Return to stock" instructions . . .

I would download this Pre rooted Jellybean tar and flash it just like you did in the first guide EXCEPT check auto restart.

After it starts go back to downlode mode and flash the CWM recovery again. And again select auto restart.

This method will wipe your data but it should clean up whatever super one click did to you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22