[GUIDE] UPDATED: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

neyox

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Another question; if I'm using an external SD card with this stuff, should I format it in exfat or fat32? And what class of SD card should I use?

Sorry about the newby questions. Dx

Sdude1200

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
So ive beein trying to root my SGS3 using heimdall because I do not have access to a windows machine but have had absolutely no luck getting the recovery file to flash. Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

VinceSage

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Don't know if anyone has asked this yet, I did this in hopes that it would fix the No Sim, Insert SIM card error on my phone, everything went perfect but I can't access my network, any suggestions?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Don't know if anyone has asked this yet, I did this in hopes that it would fix the No Sim, Insert SIM card error on my phone, everything went perfect but I can't access my network, any suggestions?

If you did the return to stock earlier (ics). It will cause this. The fix is to let it receive the ota's before re rooting. Once it gets to like the 3rd or 4th ota the no sim error will disappear. Then you can restore root. BTW... the ota's will hit at every reboot.

ahigh45

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
The instructions were easy to follow and rooted my Galaxy S3 with no problem; however, within 24 hours of rooting I get the nagging ?System Update? required message. I know installing the update will break my Root. When I accept the install and go into Recovery mode, I immediately request a reboot with running the update. I lose my wi-fi tether (using Wi-Fi 3.2-beta2), but my apps are still requesting SuperUser permission. I can actually see the apps in the log file of SuperUser. What can I do to prevent the ?System Update? from appearing after I root my S3?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
The instructions were easy to follow and rooted my Galaxy S3 with no problem; however, within 24 hours of rooting I get the nagging ?System Update? required message. I know installing the update will break my Root. When I accept the install and go into Recovery mode, I immediately request a reboot with running the update. I lose my wi-fi tether (using Wi-Fi 3.2-beta2), but my apps are still requesting SuperUser permission. I can actually see the apps in the log file of SuperUser. What can I do to prevent the ?System Update? from appearing after I root my S3?

Are you not on jellybean?

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Skunkape you are an inspiration!

Just to be clear so I do not ruin my uninsured device that powers internet to the pc i am rooting this with...

I rooted previously via odin then got the JB update. No longer have root and it sucks. Am I clear in understanding that your help on page 4 of the thread is the method to re-root after the JB update if previously rooted for ICS? I apologize if the question is kinda dumb but I want to make sure before I go an brick my phone with my lack of experience.

Also, does anyone know if tethering is still MIA for Jelly Bean?

Skunk, Thank you in advance. After reading the thread I have much respect for you. As stated earlier, I would like to donate for your help. You deserve it.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Skunkape you are an inspiration!

Just to be clear so I do not ruin my uninsured device that powers internet to the pc i am rooting this with...

I rooted previously via odin then got the JB update. No longer have root and it sucks. Am I clear in understanding that your help on page 4 of the thread is the method to re-root after the JB update if previously rooted for ICS? I apologize if the question is kinda dumb but I want to make sure before I go an brick my phone with my lack of experience.

Also, does anyone know if tethering is still MIA for Jelly Bean?

Skunk, Thank you in advance. After reading the thread I have much respect for you. As stated earlier, I would like to donate for your help. You deserve it.

Actually you can root using the directions in the very 1st post of this thread. There is no difference in rooting ics and rooting Jellybean.

There is a hacked version of jellybean available that will work with a rooted phone. There is a link in the main Sprint GS3 forum.

ahigh45

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm on 4.0.4 ICS. Guess I'll upgrade to Jelly Bean this weekend and then root my device again. Will have to restore all of my apps after the update?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm on 4.0.4 ICS. Guess I'll upgrade to Jelly Bean this weekend and then root my device again. Will have to restore all of my apps after the update?

It depends on how you update to jellybean. You can root and then just flash a stock jellybean rom from the "Your Way To Update" thread.

You are on Sprint, correct?

Aezzat

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all your time and effort Skunkape! So I just wanted to clarify a couple things:

I have a fully stock (never rooted) brand new S3 from Sprint that has received the OTA (over the air) update to Jellybean.

----Is there anyway I can root the device and still keep the actual stock rom that is on the device without flashing any new roms (whether it is the stock or custom rom---b/c I'd rather change as little as possible on the phone besides allowing root access)?

----Also, if I root the device, will I have to worry about future OTA updates unrooting or bricking my phone?

I basically am attempting to root the phone for myself and 3 other people (all of whom have no experience with rooting devices), and I would hate to have a bricked phone 24-48 hours later :p