[GUIDE] UPDATED: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
yessir, i did all the instructions correctly and carefully, i even swaped out the USB cord and changed ports as well. no luck what so ever!

Try re downloading the files. Most times when things just stop in odin, it's either a problem with the cable or the drivers. Go about 5 or 6 posts back.

Ryan Schuetzler

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I've gotten all the way to flashing TeamEpic-Root and run into a problem there. I've put it on both the internal and external SD cards, and either way I get the same message
E: Can't open /sdcard/TeamEpic-Root-from-Recovery-v5.zip
(bad)
Installation aborted.

Any hints? Everything seems to pass up until that point.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
It felt like the rest of the plastic covering the unit out of the box.

Sounds like your in stock recovery. You must flash custom recovery in odin. Once flashed in odin, you will have to pull the battery, unplug your device, reinstall your battery and boot into cwm or twrp. Then you can flash team epic. Do not let the phone reboot between flashing in odin and flashing in recovery.

If you are in cwm or twrp and you are still having the error, try redownloading team epic.

One other note: team epic should remain zipped. Some people have tried to extract the files before putting it on the phone.

Super Dave426

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
For general information, now that I rooted following the instructions at the start of this thread, how do I refer to my OS, stock rooted JB? Or does it have some other fancy name? Thanks.

GREG YOUNGBLOOD

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
i followed all steps to the letter. the next day my battery was low . no biggy. but now it wont power up. when i plug charger up red light on front comes on but no responds.... pluged in to computer and it read that a device is present..............................................................................PLEASE HELP

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
i followed all steps to the letter. the next day my battery was low . no biggy. but now it wont power up. when i plug charger up red light on front comes on but no responds.... pluged in to computer and it read that a device is present..............................................................................PLEASE HELP

Rooting would not effect your phones ability to charge. Unless you flashed something that was meant for another phone. I imagine your charging cable may be bad. Try with a different cord.my car charger sorted yesterday and my phone showed it was connected but it was not charging. Do you have a friend with the same phone to try their charged battery .

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
i used my charger. then i used a HTC charger as well...i have tryed to root my kindle with same gs3 zip. but have not connected phone to that computer.

DroidXcon is correct. Rooting for not effect your phone ability to charge. You can NOT use the gs3 root files to root your kindle. This is for the SPRINT GS3 only. Your phone is a Sprint model GS3, correct?

LoneStarWings

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I'm trying to root a 2nd GS3. The first one went fine.

On this second one, for some reason when I go into recovery mode, TeamEpic-Root-from-Recovery-v5.zip won't show up on the phone's menus, even though I've put it on the phones SD card and it shows up when I browse the phone's root files on my computer. I've tried putting it on both the internal and external SD card and it still won't show up either way. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong? I feel like I've followed the instructions pretty much to the T, and I did search the thread to see if anyone else had this problem. Thanks in advance.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Are you sure it's in the root directory of the SD card? The directory of the external card should show as /storage/extSdCard. At least that's where TeamEpic-Root-from-Recovery-v5.zip appears on my S3 when I look with ES File Explorer.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I'm trying to root a 2nd GS3. The first one went fine.

On this second one, for some reason when I go into recovery mode, TeamEpic-Root-from-Recovery-v5.zip won't show up on the phone's menus, even though I've put it on the phones SD card and it shows up when I browse the phone's root files on my computer. I've tried putting it on both the internal and external SD card and it still won't show up either way. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong? I feel like I've followed the instructions pretty much to the T, and I did search the thread to see if anyone else had this problem. Thanks in advance.

Are you in custom recovery? it can be in any folder on either your sd or your external sd but it's easier if it is on the root of it. You didn't unzip the root from recovery file did you? It sounds like you are still using stock recovery... BTW recovery will not read a card formatted in the exfat file system. but if you put it on internal storage it should be ablwe to find it. Since it's not, it leads me to believe you are booting into stock recovery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci