[GUIDE] UPDATED: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

phippsy84

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking about finally rooting my phone when I get home today. It seems like outside of following the instructions which are amazing that I just should make sure to get titanium backup and make a nandroid back up. Is that pretty accurate?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking about finally rooting my phone when I get home today. It seems like outside of following the instructions which are amazing that I just should make sure to get titanium backup and make a nandroid back up. Is that pretty accurate?

Nope... Nandroids are made with the custom recovery that you will be installing. Titanium backup is good for backing up apps. Nandroids backup everything including settings.

phippsy84

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Nope... Nandroids are made with the custom recovery that you will be installing. Titanium backup is good for backing up apps. Nandroids backup everything including settings.

Right I didn't explain that well myself. But it seems like outside of backing up apps with titanium and then everything else with the nandroid using CWM I should be good to go.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Right I didn't explain that well myself. But it seems like outside of backing up apps with titanium and then everything else with the nandroid using CWM I should be good to go.

Yup. But you of course need to be rooted before you can install titanium backup. But you can do a Nandroid while unrooted with this method.

phippsy84

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Good deal. I'll post an update once I get home and get rooted to say it worked and thanks, or say I messd up somewhere and ask for help. :)

Took two tries but got it rooted. Was very easy thank you for the guide.

Last edited:

dr3am3r619

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
About to go try and root. Should go smooth since I have done this with epic 4g. Wish me luck and i will keep yall posted

well everything went good. thanks for the great write up

Last edited:

tat21985

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Quick question.. You say to uncheck the Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time in Odin, but in watching QBKing77's tutorial, he only unchecks the Auto Reboot box.. Is there a reason why you say to uncheck it? Not that I'm questioning you, I just wanna be sure :)

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Quick question.. You say to uncheck the Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time in Odin, but in watching QBKing77's tutorial, he only unchecks the Auto Reboot box.. Is there a reason why you say to uncheck it? Not that I'm questioning you, I just wanna be sure :)

Not sure about F. Reset. But you don't want to allow the phone to Auto reboot because if the phone reboots after flashing the custom recovery the stock recovery will be reinstalled by the device. After flashing the custom recovery you need to boot dirctly into the custom recovery and use that to flash the root package which will modify the file that reinstalls the stock recovery upon reboot. Once that file is flashed you can freely reboot without losing custom recovery. ..QBking must be using a different method in his video. Just because odin is used doesn't mean it is the same method.

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site

The F. Reset Time didn't really matter. But the Auto Reboot must be unchecked. QBKing77 tutorial is fairly old and at the time it was made it didn't matter if the Auto Reboot was checked. Now it does.

dr3am3r619

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Well im back, I'm having a problem with my phone after I rooted the other day its been echoing when I'm on the phone with someone, just my voice. I don't know if it has something to do with the root process or if its something to do with the fact that I installed beats audio installer. I rooted then got the app right after so I have no clue which one caused it

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Well im back, I'm having a problem with my phone after I rooted the other day its been echoing when I'm on the phone with someone, just my voice. I don't know if it has something to do with the root process or if its something to do with the fact that I installed beats audio installer. I rooted then got the app right after so I have no clue which one caused it

Try the beats. During should have no effect on anything.

dr3am3r619

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Try the beats. During should have no effect on anything.

Also beats audio is just where it installs the drivers I don't know if anyone is familiar with it so there isn't anyway to uninstall supposedly. But if I flash a custom ROM wouldn't that uninstall the driver for beats?

cradle667

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm a n00b to rooting and have a few questions before I do this. I would like to root with stock rom so that I can remove all of the bloatware and get tethering. My questions are as follows.

What is the purpose of nandroid?
What do I use to delete bloatware, and do I need to backup the bloatware before I remove it?
How do I unroot my phone should I need to?
Where do I download the apps that I have to be rooted to use?

If I think of any other questions I will ask them. Sorry to sound like a n00b, but I haven't messed with my phones since my old Palm Pre... it's been that long.