[GUIDE] UPDATED: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello, I followed all instructions and have spent hours as everyone else seems to have on this. I've run into the same issue as Lane has where after I've ran Odin, take out battery, unplug cable... when I load in recovery it will not mount the internal or external sd cards. I'm able to use the card fine and obviously as Lane said, why would the internal sd not be able to mount? What am I missing?

Welcome to the forums. Do you have the Sprint S3?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Yes, this has been mentioned multiple times within the thread. Unfortunately, Skunkape doesn't hang out at AC any more, and hasn't updated his first post to include the new method.

Sorry my friend, I've been real busy with my new job and kept forgetting. It is now updated and points the the same kit I have on XDA.

MaXXimus

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
My last root experience was quite a bit more involved that this so I'm looking forward to giving this a go after work tonight and enjoying my freed device.

*Update* Worked great. Big thanks to those who made this available to the reset of us who aren't as technically gifted. :)

Last edited:

robb gifford

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
ok so i have a problem i have tried to instal cf auto root and have ollowed guide after guied i can get into cwm revory and it tells me can not emmc all that stuuf i tried to get the updated odin zip still nothing will some one explain all this to a total noob where the is my root file on my phone what am i doing wrong thx in adv

MaXXimus

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
robb...I'm not sure what cf auto root is. Is that another method to root the S3? If you are able to boot into custom recovery, then all you need to do is flash the "Team Epic Root from Recovery" zip file.

I put the zip on the root directory of my external SD (that was a bit confusing because in CWM recovery you need to choose "External SD", not just SD) and flashed it. The root directory is just the very top level of your SD card, so you don't have to drill down into any sub-folders to find the file you need to flash...it should just be in the initial list of folders and files you see when you select it from the recovery menu.

Hopefully that makes sense.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Robb, suggest you use the files linked in the first post of this thread, and not CF Auto Root, whatever that is. The files in this thread were just updated to work on the most recent Sprint S3s.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] UPDATED10/23/2013: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

Are you sure you're using the latest custom recovery from CWM or TWRP? Look at post $538 in this thread, and follow the link there.

bloodsaw405

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] UPDATED10/23/2013: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

Not anyone one person knows what is going on. My things will not mount so I can't root my s3. In recovery, nothing will mount so I can't flash anything. Not a single living being knows what is wrong. I am almost deeming this unrootable