[GUIDE] UPDATED: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Will this method still work fine after updating to 4.3?

No. 4.3 prevents the use of any custom recoveries, which preludes the use of any custom ROMS. It also bricks your phone if you try to downgrade back to a pre 4.3 ROM. In theory, you should be able to root and retain the stock recovery, but Ive not yet seen a method to do so.

For now, 4.3 is a one-way trip to a stock, unrootable phone.

MaXXimus

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
No. 4.3 prevents the use of any custom recoveries, which preludes the use of any custom ROMS. It also bricks your phone if you try to downgrade back to a pre 4.3 ROM. In theory, you should be able to root and retain the stock recovery, but Ive not yet seen a method to do so.

For now, 4.3 is a one-way trip to a stock, unrootable phone.

Just an FYI...CNexus over at XDA has posted a rooted 4.3 stock ROM. [STOCK ROM] Stock 4.3 MK3 ROM [ROOTED/UNROOTED] - xda-developers

It does require some additional steps to remove KNOX and apply a wifi fix (but it jacks up the home screen rotation).

I did end up flashing the MK3 modem without issue and I'm still running 4.1.2.

unclescary

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for all this information. I rooted my phone today.Could not have done without this site. It went fast. If I could do it anyone can. Followed all the steps and I did it. Main reason I did it was I felt the phone was not mine even though I purchased it. Some silly apps need to be removed and I could not. Now I can. I feel like I'm in control of "my" phone. I read through everyones posts and learned from everyone. "Thank you" to all.

Spearoid

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know of a way to root this phone without using a computer at all? It seems as though the data pins in my phone's USB port are shorted or corrupted and I cannot communicate with my phone via the USB connection...not even in Download mode. I'm on LJ7 4.1.1. I was rooted but got unrooted through a failed OTA update and am finding it difficult to do anything I want to do now. Rooting, custom recovery, custom roms....

dcharleyultra

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] UPDATED10/23/2013: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

I use Mobile Odin Pro. It sounds like it's what you're looking for. However, it requires root.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Rick Brown1

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site

hello for some reason i cant get my sprint galaxy s3 to root after following everything to a tee everything goes through except when i try to install from sd card in cwm it reads error cant mount everything reads error can somebody help

sure why not

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site

hello for some reason i cant get my sprint galaxy s3 to root after following everything to a tee everything goes through except when i try to install from sd card in cwm it reads error cant mount everything reads error can somebody help
Newer gS3's are protected.
This thread's author has an updated file to allow the SD card to mount.
The newer gs3's come with protection against rooting flashing. The cwm and twrp recoveries have been hacked to allow the mounting. My root kit on xda has the proper files in it. I may update this guide tomorrow with new links to the hacked recoveries if I can remember.

[Tutorial] Rooting the Sprint GalaxyS3 the Easy Way - xda-developers

Hope this helps.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

Also, if you've accepted the update to Android 4.3, I suspect this will no longer work.

hillzillah

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site

So.. I'd successfully gone through all of the steps, but since I didn't realize I had updated to 4.3 the Super User kept getting blocked. I tried to revert to before I rooted, but now I'm stuck in a boot loop. Freaking out just a little bit, and I don't know where to start as far as resetting. Any help would be extremely appreciated. D:

I guess I should add that I do have the correct phone for this method, I just had updated before without realizing.

maddogflyer

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site

I followed the instructions in this thread about a year ago and rooted my Spring GS3. I have been very happy with the results, however I repeatedly get an intrusive message trying to get me to install an update. Is this the dreaded "4.3" that we don't want? Is there a way to make this go away? It's really annoying. Thanks in advance for any help!

porkyhontas

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site

Yes, there is a way to make the annoying 4.3 update go away. What ROM are you on, because if it's Wicked Sensations there is a fix in the build prop editor that can be done in recovery.

maddogflyer

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site

Yes, there is a way to make the annoying 4.3 update go away. What ROM are you on, because if it's Wicked Sensations there is a fix in the build prop editor that can be done in recovery.

Not sure. How do you find that out? I'm a noob! Thanks,

porkyhontas

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site

Not sure. How do you find that out? I'm a noob! Thanks,

If you are on Wicked Sensations ROM v5.0 go here to xda-developers and this will explain everything. Once you follow these steps your annoying 4.3 update will disappear. I was having the same problem a few days ago on my Wicked Sensations ROM and this cured it. You will find out that if you accept the 4.3 update from Sprint it will unroot your phone and prevent you from rooting it again.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

So.. I'd successfully gone through all of the steps, but since I didn't realize I had updated to 4.3 the Super User kept getting blocked. I tried to revert to before I rooted, but now I'm stuck in a boot loop. Freaking out just a little bit, and I don't know where to start as far as resetting. Any help would be extremely appreciated. D:

What did you do to try to revert? Can you boot into recovery or download mode?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz