Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Skunkape60
  • 2 Post By Skunkape60
  • 1 Post By Skunkape60
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Update with rooted phone?

    So my phone is rooted. There's no custom ROM, i just rooted it to delete bloatware and use the tether app.

    Will i be able to receive and/or install this update OTA?

    Thanks
  2. #2  
    Skunkape60's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    4,518 Posts

    Default Re: Update with rooted phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by zeravla531 View Post
    So my phone is rooted. There's no custom ROM, i just rooted it to delete bloatware and use the tether app.

    Will i be able to receive and/or install this update OTA?

    Thanks
    Not if you removed bloatware. But if you have cwm recovery and know how to flash in recovery, read below.

    Remember always make a Nandroid of your current configuration. Download and flash in CWM

    This is a ROOTED STOCK LG8 ROM. So you should be able to get updated with this. Like it was said earlier... Install ots RootKeeper and save your root before applying the update. If I were you I would try flashing the rom wiping only cache and dalvik.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
    Thanked by 2:
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Update with rooted phone?

    How can I tell if I have a customer rom? I got my phone rooted/unlocked I think. I traded my BB for this Nexus.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Update with rooted phone?

    This a SS of my kernel and build, don't know if that's what folks need?

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Update with rooted phone?-uploadfromtaptalk1348370572635.jpg  
  5. #5  
    Skunkape60's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    4,518 Posts

    Default Re: Update with rooted phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by cashiskingnyc View Post
    How can I tell if I have a customer rom? I got my phone rooted/unlocked I think. I traded my BB for this Nexus.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Open recovery and see what you have. If you have device specific questions, you sound try asking in the galaxy nexus forums.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
  6. #6  
    Skunkape60's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    4,518 Posts

    Default Re: Update with rooted phone?

    For people with rooted phones and a custom recovery, here is a fail safe method to update from ANY previous GS3 software revision to LI3. You don't need to have the bloatware, you won't need to remove or backup your root. Just download and flash 2 files in recovery and you're fully up to date.

    Download these 2 files and put them on your phone's external sd card.
    Wipe cache partition and dalvik (You don't need to wipe data or factory reset)
    Then flash each of the 2 files.





    If you've never flashed a zip in custom recovery and need more detailed instructions let me know. But I figure if you got your phone rooted with custom recovery, then you've flashed at least once.

    EDIT: Detailed instructions for flashing in recovery is here.
    Last edited by Skunkape60; 09-23-2012 at 12:52 PM.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
    Thanked by 5:
    ihbsbA and jhill110 like this.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Update with rooted phone?

    so does this work?
  8. #8  
    Skunkape60's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    4,518 Posts

    Default Re: Update with rooted phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by killswitch651 View Post
    so does this work?
    This method is guaranteed to work if you're on a custom recovery and have a sprint gs3. But If you are on a custom Rom you will revert to the stock rooted Rom.

    This is the full stock LI3 rom image pre rooted in a flashable zip. It is just like flashing any other rom as it replaces what you had.
    Last edited by Skunkape60; 09-23-2012 at 05:12 PM.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
    Thanked by 2:
    ihbsbA and jhill110 like this.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Update with rooted phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    This method is guaranteed to work if you're on a custom recovery and have a sprint gs3. But If you are on a custom Rom you will revert to the stock rooted Rom.

    This is the full stock LI3 rom image pre rooted in a flashable zip. It is just like flashing any other rom as it replaces what you had.
    Ok,so is this going to wipe out the way I have my screens set up and my installed apps?
    Sent From The 3rd Galaxy Via Subspace
  10. #10  
    Skunkape60's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    4,518 Posts

    Default Re: Update with rooted phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by jhill110 View Post
    Ok,so is this going to wipe out the way I have my screens set up and my installed apps?
    Depends on how you do it. If you just wipe cache partition and dalvik you shouldn't lose anything. If you wipe data / factory reset you will lose apps and settings.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
    Thanked by 2:
    jhill110 likes this.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Update with rooted phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    Depends on how you do it. If you just wipe cache partition and dalvik you shouldn't lose anything. If you wipe data / factory reset you will lose apps and settings.
    Ok GREAT! Thanks!
    Whether you like it or not you ARE MY $%@&! HERO!
    Sent From The 3rd Galaxy Via Subspace
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Update with rooted phone?

    Without a hitch... Just like I knew what I was doing...
    Thanks again Skunkape!
    Sent From The 3rd Galaxy Via Subspace

Similar Threads

  1. Can't Update to New Firmware/Software with Rooted Phone
    By nycz_illest in forum Thunderbolt Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-28-2011, 07:51 PM
  2. Can't Update to New Firmware/Software with Rooted Phone
    By nycz_illest in forum Verizon HTC Thunderbolt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-28-2011, 07:51 PM
  3. OTA Software Update with rooted phone?
    By corn4ahead in forum Thunderbolt Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-23-2011, 11:05 AM
  4. Better battery with Rooted Phone
    By jaybro0813 in forum Motorola Droid X
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-16-2011, 06:30 AM
  5. font size with rooted phone
    By P.I.M.P 50 in forum Verizon Droid Incredible
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-17-2010, 09:46 AM

Posting Permissions

B