1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Installing silent camera mod question

I want to install the silent camera mod from the XDA forums. Can I just download the file to the SD card and then boot into the stock recovery and select the option to apply an update from the external storage, or do I have to first install a custom recovery?
    Retired Ambassador

Default Re: Installing silent camera mod question

You need to be rooted and on a custom recovery. But after getting rooted and recovery the file is pointless because it's just as easy to rename a couple of files yourself.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    You need to be rooted and on a custom recovery. But after getting rooted and recovery the file is pointless because it's just as easy to rename a couple of files yourself.
    I had this modification on the Epic, but I never rooted the phone. I don't remember if I installed a custom recovery and then the modification or if I just downloaded the file to the SD card and then started the phone up in recovery mode and then applied the zipped file.

Why is it necessary to root the phone? Can't this modification be applied without rooting? I saw one post on the XDA forums were someone supposedly manually applied the modification without doing anything else.
    Retired Ambassador

Well give it a try. If it works let us know. But as far as I know nobody has done it on the sprint gs3 without rooting.
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by cb2367 View Post
    I had this modification on the Epic, but I never rooted the phone. I don't remember if I installed a custom recovery and then the modification or if I just downloaded the file to the SD card and then started the phone up in recovery mode and then applied the zipped file.

Why is it necessary to root the phone? Can't this modification be applied without rooting? I saw one post on the XDA forums were someone supposedly manually applied the modification without doing anything else.
    Did it work????