Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #26  

Default Re: Are ota's safe after root?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber Warrior View Post
    Yea its showing your system ROM at 1.5gb.. Something is wrong with that backup you made.
    Here is my stock ROM backup:
    Attachment 40351

What cant you find.. the sdm file? It might be different for Sprint.. Im on Verizon.
    I really don't know, I made the backup using rom manager and did the whole screen boot thingy so I know it worked, but the file says 23mb

On my Samsung galaxy s3 running android 4.0

Because unlike ios, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not in infinite cluttered homescreens
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #27  

This is what's in there but it only says 23mb

Because unlike ios, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not in infinite cluttered homescreens
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Are ota's safe after root?-uploadfromtaptalk1349736668331.jpg  
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #28  

I'm worried if I run it again later it will do the same thing and I will lose all my memory

Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

I would run another backup.. Ive run into situations before where a nandroid failed on me... and it was actually the first one I ever made on the phone.. same issue you're having.

You can do it manually by booting into CWM Recovery from ROM Manager and scrolling down to backup/restore.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #30  

I would run another backup.. Ive run into situations before where a nandroid failed on me... and it was actually the first one I ever made on the phone.. same issue you're having.

You can do it manually by booting into CWM Recovery from ROM Manager and scrolling down to backup/restore.
    I just deleted that backup via rom manager and I still only have 4gb free

6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #31  

Went through my apps and my biggest is in the 70mb area so it definitely isn't an app that took up all this space

And I don't keep music on my phone, just the sd card

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Are ota's safe after root?-uploadfromtaptalk1349740216269.jpg  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Soundtrack to Chaos View Post
    Went through my apps and my biggest is in the 70mb area so it definitely isn't an app that took up all this space

And I don't keep music on my phone, just the sd card

Sorry I didn't get back to this thread until now. Yes, The files that are taking so much space is your nandroid. the new cwm stores the backup in two separate folders clockworkmod / backup you will find backups. in clockworkmod / blobs you will find backup data.

The way I understand the blob folder contains all the data for all of your nandroids. When you have more than one backup and they have common files such as apk's they share them. In the long run, if you have multiple backups it saves space. Roms from touchwiz roms can easily reach a gb. When you delete a backup you also need to delete the unused backup data. To do this, boot into recovery and go to "backup and restore. Then choose free unused backup data. This will delete all backup data that is no longer being used by a current backup... I hope this helps you understand.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

The OS takes about 4-5GB. If you have a 16GB internal storage.. You should only have about 12GB showing for storage.. The rest is used up by the phone. So before you go crazy trying to figure out whats using all your storage space.. the answer is the operating system.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #34  

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    Sorry I didn't get back to this thread until now. Yes, The files that are taking so much space is your nandroid. the new cwm stores the backup in two separate folders clockworkmod / backup you will find backups. in clockworkmod / blobs you will find backup data.

The way I understand the blob folder contains all the data for all of your nandroids. When you have more than one backup and they have common files such as apk's they share them. In the long run, if you have multiple backups it saves space. Roms from touchwiz roms can easily reach a gb. When you delete a backup you also need to delete the unused backup data. To do this, boot into recovery and go to "backup and restore. Then choose free unused backup data. This will delete all backup data that is no longer being used by a current backup... I hope this helps you understand.
    Yup, that was it, thank you very much I got my space back

So all I do for the past 3 hours was run in a circle, lmao, ah well, i learned some new stuff from you guys in the process

So thanks for all the help

So all in all, it had worked I guess? Right?

So now that I've deleted it I need to create the backup again. And then download the rom online, put it on my sd card then go into recovery mode and install it?

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #35  

The OS takes about 4-5GB. If you have a 16GB internal storage.. You should only have about 12GB showing for storage.. The rest is used up by the phone. So before you go crazy trying to figure out whats using all your storage space.. the answer is the operating system.
    I already knew about the reason for having 12gb,my issue was the fact that I had 3 left, lol but now I understand why and where exactly the backup was located

Sorry for being such a noob, lol I literally just rooted my phone yesterday morning and am just getting user to all this new information

Now that you have a custom recovery OTAs are no longer a worry. OTAs only push to phones with stock recovery. OTAs always get posted for download to flash just like a ROM so don't freak out if you end up loving the stock, you can still get them.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #37  

Quote Originally Posted by sinisin View Post
    Now that you have a custom recovery OTAs are no longer a worry. OTAs only push to phones with stock recovery. OTAs always get posted for download to flash just like a ROM so don't freak out if you end up loving the stock, you can still get them.
    Oh really? Thanks, I was going to ask how to block ota's in the future, and now I don't have to

I think I'm going to flash cyanogen 10 jellybean , but not today

What would happen if I flash a ROM (i e., AOPK) and then delete it from my phone while being on said ROM?
    How do we know we are not brains in a V.A T.S ?
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by garcia_jx View Post
    What would happen if I flash a ROM (i e., AOPK) and then delete it from my phone while being on said ROM?
    Absolutely nothing.. Downloaded ROMs/zips can be deleted off of the phone if wanted.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #40  

ive been doing some more research and apparently i also need a few other packages before i flash the cm10 nightly packs

apparently i need a Google Play Store app zip file

a camera data zip file

and a mms zip file

is this just for at&t users who are flashing roms or for every phone because i found it here: How To Install CyanogenMod 10 on your AT&T Samsung Galaxy III (SG3) | CincyGeek.com

and they say you need all those packages

also, will their files work on the sprint version of the GS3? (not talking about the CM10, just referring to the Camera zip, mms zip and the google play zip)
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #41  

this one on another site doesnt tell you that you have to download a camera and mms zip file and this is for sprint

How to flash CyanogenMod 10 for the Sprint Galaxy S3 SPH-L710

so do i need the camera file and the mms file or should i just follow the steps?

and so far, from my understanding, the steps are:

backup current stock rom

wipe/factory reset

wipe cache partition

wipe dalvik cache

install most current cm10 nightly file from sd card

install the most recent google play app( can anyone help me find the link for one please, im not sure if you are allowed to just post it in the thread, so if possible could you private message me the most recent google play app please, thanks)

then just reboot and start right?
    Retired Ambassador

this one on another site doesnt tell you that you have to download a camera and mms zip file and this is for sprint

How to flash CyanogenMod 10 for the Sprint Galaxy S3 SPH-L710

so do i need the camera file and the mms file or should i just follow the steps?

and so far, from my understanding, the steps are:

backup current stock rom

wipe/factory reset

wipe cache partition

wipe dalvik cache

install most current cm10 nightly file from sd card

install the most recent google play app( can anyone help me find the link for one please, im not sure if you are allowed to just post it in the thread, so if possible could you private message me the most recent google play app please, thanks)

then just reboot and start right?
    They should be included in the gapps.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #43  

They should be included in the gapps.
    oh ok, so the file in that link has the most recent google play store as well? i believe the store was updated on the 17th of september and that link's article is from august 1st

would i need a more recent gaaps file or will that file be fine?
    Retired Ambassador

oh ok, so the file in that link has the most recent google play store as well? i believe the store was updated on the 17th of september and that link's article is from august 1st

would i need a more recent gaaps file or will that file be fine?
    While i really haven't loaded cm for a month or two, if the store in the gaps isn't up to date it will eventually update. It is just like any other app you put on the phone. It will eventually update.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #45  

While i really haven't loaded cm for a month or two, if the store in the gaps isn't up to date it will eventually update. It is just like any other app you put on the phone. It will eventually update.
    Oh ok, thanks so for now the plan is to flash the gaaps file and the cyanogen mod 10 and that's about all the files I need right?

Sounds simple enough

21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #46  

It was successful guys, thank you sooo much for all the help

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #47  

CM Updater goes live, update your CyanogenMod 10 builds automatically | Android Central

i was just doing some reading and found that todays new cynaogen mod nightly includes android 4.1.2 and im considering downloading and running it again, but i have some questions

1. what steps do i follow for this? do i need to wipe/factory reset, wipe dalvik cache and wipe cache partition? or do i just download the new update and install from zip?

2. once i finish installing, will i have to set up everything on my phone again(install apps, contact numbers, etc) or will my stuff stay the same after install?

3. would i need another backup as well?

thx
    Retired Ambassador

As long as you have at least 1 good backup you are safe. But it depends on you. Would you be upset if you had to go back to the backup you currently have? If so, then you should make another backup.

As for what to wipe, I will tell you what I do. ALWAYS WIPE CACHE AND DALVIK. You can skip wiping data/factory reset. BUT... at first sign of any issues, I will do a full wipe and start from scratch.

If you don't wipe data/factory reset (called a dirty flash), then DO NOT report issues on the forums. PERIOD! It is not fair to the developer to mention any issues when the issues could be caused by you dirty flashing.

In other words, if you dirty flash, you have no right complaining when your phone doesn't work as expected.

Btw... it really isn't an update. They are full ROMs.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #49  

As long as you have at least 1 good backup you are safe. But it depends on you. Would you be upset if you had to go back to the backup you currently have? If so, then you should make another backup.

As for what to wipe, I will tell you what I do. ALWAYS WIPE CACHE AND DALVIK. You can skip wiping data/factory reset. BUT... at first sign of any issues, I will do a full wipe and start from scratch.

If you don't wipe data/factory reset (called a dirty flash), then DO NOT report issues on the forums. PERIOD! It is not fair to the developer to mention any issues when the issues could be caused by you dirty flashing.

In other words, if you dirty flash, you have no right complaining when your phone doesn't work as expected.

Btw... it really isn't an update. They are full ROMs.
    Oh ok thanks so much, I think I'll wait a while and then get the rom update, because these things update every day, and I don't wanna rom ever day, so I'll wait a week or so and then get it because by then it will have even more features

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy s3 running cyanogen mod 10

Like a boss!
    Retired Ambassador

Oh ok thanks so much, I think I'll wait a while and then get the rom update, because these things update every day, and I don't wanna rom ever day, so I'll wait a week or so and then get it because by then it will have even more features

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy s3 running cyanogen mod 10

Like a boss!
    I hear ya!!! I used to keep up with the nightly's when I had the old nexus. But them ROMs were small compared to these.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast