Are ota's safe after root?

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
this one on another site doesnt tell you that you have to download a camera and mms zip file and this is for sprint

How to flash CyanogenMod 10 for the Sprint Galaxy S3 SPH-L710

so do i need the camera file and the mms file or should i just follow the steps?

and so far, from my understanding, the steps are:

backup current stock rom

wipe/factory reset

wipe cache partition

wipe dalvik cache

install most current cm10 nightly file from sd card

install the most recent google play app( can anyone help me find the link for one please, im not sure if you are allowed to just post it in the thread, so if possible could you private message me the most recent google play app please, thanks)

then just reboot and start right?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
this one on another site doesnt tell you that you have to download a camera and mms zip file and this is for sprint

How to flash CyanogenMod 10 for the Sprint Galaxy S3 SPH-L710

so do i need the camera file and the mms file or should i just follow the steps?

and so far, from my understanding, the steps are:

backup current stock rom

wipe/factory reset

wipe cache partition

wipe dalvik cache

install most current cm10 nightly file from sd card

install the most recent google play app( can anyone help me find the link for one please, im not sure if you are allowed to just post it in the thread, so if possible could you private message me the most recent google play app please, thanks)

then just reboot and start right?

They should be included in the gapps.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
oh ok, so the file in that link has the most recent google play store as well? i believe the store was updated on the 17th of september and that link's article is from august 1st

would i need a more recent gaaps file or will that file be fine?

While i really haven't loaded cm for a month or two, if the store in the gaps isn't up to date it will eventually update. It is just like any other app you put on the phone. It will eventually update.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
While i really haven't loaded cm for a month or two, if the store in the gaps isn't up to date it will eventually update. It is just like any other app you put on the phone. It will eventually update.

Oh ok, thanks so for now the plan is to flash the gaaps file and the cyanogen mod 10 and that's about all the files I need right?

Sounds simple enough

On my Samsung galaxy s3 running android 4.0

Because unlike ios, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not in infinite cluttered homescreens

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
CM Updater goes live, update your CyanogenMod 10 builds automatically | Android Central

i was just doing some reading and found that todays new cynaogen mod nightly includes android 4.1.2 and im considering downloading and running it again, but i have some questions

1. what steps do i follow for this? do i need to wipe/factory reset, wipe dalvik cache and wipe cache partition? or do i just download the new update and install from zip?

2. once i finish installing, will i have to set up everything on my phone again(install apps, contact numbers, etc) or will my stuff stay the same after install?

3. would i need another backup as well?

thx

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
As long as you have at least 1 good backup you are safe. But it depends on you. Would you be upset if you had to go back to the backup you currently have? If so, then you should make another backup.

As for what to wipe, I will tell you what I do. ALWAYS WIPE CACHE AND DALVIK. You can skip wiping data/factory reset. BUT... at first sign of any issues, I will do a full wipe and start from scratch.

If you don't wipe data/factory reset (called a dirty flash), then DO NOT report issues on the forums. PERIOD! It is not fair to the developer to mention any issues when the issues could be caused by you dirty flashing.

In other words, if you dirty flash, you have no right complaining when your phone doesn't work as expected.

Btw... it really isn't an update. They are full ROM's.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
As long as you have at least 1 good backup you are safe. But it depends on you. Would you be upset if you had to go back to the backup you currently have? If so, then you should make another backup.

As for what to wipe, I will tell you what I do. ALWAYS WIPE CACHE AND DALVIK. You can skip wiping data/factory reset. BUT... at first sign of any issues, I will do a full wipe and start from scratch.

If you don't wipe data/factory reset (called a dirty flash), then DO NOT report issues on the forums. PERIOD! It is not fair to the developer to mention any issues when the issues could be caused by you dirty flashing.

In other words, if you dirty flash, you have no right complaining when your phone doesn't work as expected.

Btw... it really isn't an update. They are full ROM's.

Oh ok thanks so much, I think I'll wait a while and then get the rom update, because these things update every day, and I don't wanna rom ever day, so I'll wait a week or so and then get it because by then it will have even more features

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy s3 running cyanogen mod 10

Like a boss!

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Oh ok thanks so much, I think I'll wait a while and then get the rom update, because these things update every day, and I don't wanna rom ever day, so I'll wait a week or so and then get it because by then it will have even more features

Like a boss!

I hear ya!!! I used to keep up with the nightly's when I had the old nexus. But them rom's were small compared to these.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I hear ya!!! I used to keep up with the nightly's when I had the old nexus. But them rom's were small compared to these.

Yea, these are 100mbs plus, and having to rom everyday must be annoying, idk how people do it

Just had a lil issue with my cyanogen mod a lil while ago, it magically rebooted itself, but everythings fine, I'm not suprised, because these are nightly updates, not stable ones

Like a boss!

aw726

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
To stop ota notifications on the sprint gs3, the best way is to accept the ota. It will boot to custom recovery and fail. Then reboot the phone and the ota notification doesn't come back. You won't lose root not will you brick the phone. T

Hello Skunkape60, read your post about 3 weeks ago. I will periodically get the alert for the OTA update, like every 2 or 3 days. I followed your steps and after a few days it will show up again. Not sure if it makes a difference, but I have extra batteries for my phone and I may change them on a daily basis. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Hello Skunkape60, read your post about 3 weeks ago. I will periodically get the alert for the OTA update, like every 2 or 3 days. I followed your steps and after a few days it will show up again. Not sure if it makes a difference, but I have extra batteries for my phone and I may change them on a daily basis. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

So what is stopping you from updating to JellyBean? That is really about the only way to stop the update notification without changing your build prop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol