Manual Jellybean Update with Stock ROM but Custom recovery

trekkie1701c

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Like many people here, I used the root method for this phone which involved using Download mode to install a custom recovery, then used the root from recovery script which disabled the re-installation of a custom recovery, which there have been several posts suggesting not to have if you want to upgrade.

The quick and easy fix is to just simply restore those files and flash the update. You'll need root explorer, or a similar file manager; or knowledge of how to use the adb shell.

1. Rename /system/recovery-from-boot.p.bak to /system/recovery-from-boot.p
2. Rename /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak to /system/etc/install-recovery.sh
3. Download the update (if you don't have the update yet, you can get it directly from the source)
4. Place the zip in the root of yourl SD Card
5. Reboot the phone. Not in to recovery - just do a reboot for now.
6. Once the phone has finished booting, reboot in to recovery; you should have the stock recovery.
7. Flash the update (Incidentally, if you like looking for devloper gaffs, there's a typo in the recovery here, where they say they're Appling Multi-SCS)
8. Reboot. You should now have Jellybean!
9. Follow the instructions on rooting your device to restore your custom recovery/root. Alternatively, you can try using something like OTA Rootkeeper before flashing, though this method won't give you the custom recovery.

trekkie1701c

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
You should be able to just download the update that I linked and flash it. All the zip had to do with anything was actually upgrading you to Jellybean; the other instructions were pretty much a quick "return to stock recovery" method that doesn't involve flashing in Odin.

Zyrtantar

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I've done everything on the list but when I try number 7. it gives me "E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip (Status 7) Installation aborted."
This is within stock recovery menu.

I have a rooted ICS Sprint Galaxy S3 with Clockworkmod Recovery.

(Also soon after buying my device I rooted it and used Fotakill to prevent ota updates so I am actually not at the latest version of S3's ICS but I removed Fotakill. I also have a cracked Google Now installed. Maybe these extra things are relevant, maybe not.)

Last edited:

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I've done everything on the list but when I try number 7. it gives me "E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip (Status 7) Installation aborted."
This is within stock recovery menu.

I have a rooted ICS Sprint Galaxy S3 with Clockworkmod Recovery.

(Also soon after buying my device I rooted it and used Fotakill to prevent ota updates so I am actually not at the latest version of S3's ICS but I removed Fotakill. I also have a cracked Google Now installed. Maybe these extra things are relevant, maybe not.)

If you are rooted with clockworkmod recovery that is what you get. Go to the thread "Your way to update" and update using the method in the 4th post.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=218901

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge