1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10

Default Question about unrooting Sprint GS3

Hello!

I rooted my phone a while back and now I've decided it's time to unroot because I want to get the OTA Jelly Bean update. Before I rooted, I made a recovery of my unrooted stock rom. I booted back into the recovery rom and everything seems as it was. However, I was wondering if my phone is still rooted? Is there anyway I can check. I'm new to all this stuff and I'm getting a bit confused.
    Retired Ambassador

Default Re: Question about unrooting Sprint GS3

Quote Originally Posted by j0eycasco View Post
    Hello!

I rooted my phone a while back and now I've decided it's time to unroot because I want to get the OTA Jelly Bean update. Before I rooted, I made a recovery of my unrooted stock rom. I booted back into the recovery rom and everything seems as it was. However, I was wondering if my phone is still rooted? Is there anyway I can check. I'm new to all this stuff and I'm getting a bit confused.
    First off, being rooted is not going to stop you from getting the ota. Custom recovery will stop it. While being rooted did you remove any of the Sprint/Samsung bloatware? If so that will keep your phone from successfully installing the ota.

If you are rooted with a stock recovery and no bloat remove, just wait for the ota to come to you.

If you have custom recovery such as cwm or twrp, you will not be able to update with the ota. (Most likely you do as you made a backup).

If you have removed any of the bloatware you will not be able to successfully install the ota.

When you have answered those question I can advise you on how to proceed.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif

Hey Skunkape,

I have rooted my S3 (sprint) with cwm. I do get the ota notifications, but like you mentioned, cwm prevents me from updating. I didn't delete any bloatware though. How would I update my phone? Thanks
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by mtoda View Post
    Hey Skunkape,

I have rooted my S3 (sprint) with cwm. I do get the ota notifications, but like you mentioned, cwm prevents me from updating. I didn't delete any bloatware though. How would I update my phone? Thanks
    If you are Rooted and have custom recovery this is for you.

This is the Full Stock LJ7 Pre-Rooted in a zip file. You would flash these files like you would any other ROM. The Rom and firmware (radio) are 2 separate zips.

1. Download files and put them on you external or internal sdcard.
    2. Wipe cache, wipe dalvik, factory Reset
    3. Flash Firmware
    4. Flash ROM
    5. Reboot

If you don't want to lose your data just skip the factory reset step. However it is strongly suggests that you do the reset as the results are more consistent.

Last edited by Skunkape60; 11-01-2012 at 11:16 PM.
    Thanked by:

Much appreciated Skunkape!

ROM
    Whatever suits me

What is the difference between the odexed and deodexed versions? How do I know which to use?
    I was putting it off but the notification is incessant now. Might as well jump in.

Also, since I'm on a custom recovery, I haven't taken any updates that I know of. Will I be able to take this one?
    Here is what I'm running.
    Question about unrooting Sprint GS3-uploadfromtaptalk1351906515210.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by dsx968 View Post
    What is the difference between the odexed and deodexed versions? How do I know which to use?
    I was putting it off but the notification is incessant now. Might as well jump in.

Also, since I'm on a custom recovery, I haven't taken any updates that I know of. Will I be able to take this one?
    Here is what I'm running.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1351906515210.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	44500

Aww man. Your running the anakonda rom. Now I'm not going to help you. It's too good a rom to leave.

You have been running a deodexed rom for awhile now (anakinda is a deodexed rom). Deodexed roms are a lot easier to make mods for. Most developers prefer them over odexed because they are easier to work with. But if e you are just going to run it stock rooted, you might as well flash the odexed. It will likely boot a little faster and may be a bit smoother but I doubt you will notice.

Good news is, I would be willing to bet in a few weeks anakonda well be updated to jellybean.
    Thanked by:
    dsx968 

ROM
    Whatever suits me

I really like it and I haven't had any problems with it at all. Nice and smooth.
    So I can flash and go with plain Touchwiz or wait for the ROM to be updated and then do it.
    If I wait and accept the update will the custom recovery prevent the install and stop the notifications like before or is this different?

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    Aww man. Your running the anakonda rom. Now I'm not going to help you. It's too good a rom to leave.

You have been running a deodexed rom for awhile now (anakinda is a deodexed rom). Deodexed roms are a lot easier to make mods for. Most developers prefer them over odexed because they are easier to work with. But if e you are just going to run it stock rooted, you might as well flash the odexed. It will likely boot a little faster and may be a bit smoother but I doubt you will notice.

Good news is, I would be willing to bet in a few weeks anakonda well be updated to jellybean.
    Since you said it's soo good, Iike to know some features of it please

I'm getting the romming bug, i've been making app backups and sms backups for the past 2 weeks, lol

My phone is hungry

I used to use physical buttons, and then I found button savior
    -S. T. C

Sent from my rooted, debloated CM10 jelly bean 4.1.2 Samsung Galaxy S3 #LikeABo$$
    Android is a tune up sports car with custom interior, sound system, and IOS is a stock model benz

I use Android, because unlike IOS, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not infinitely cluttered homescreens
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by dsx968 View Post
    I really like it and I haven't had any problems with it at all. Nice and smooth.
    So I can flash and go with plain Touchwiz or wait for the ROM to be updated and then do it.
    If I wait and accept the update will the custom recovery prevent the install and stop the notifications like before or is this different?

You can do whatever you want. You can flash the stock or wait for it to be updated. You can try the update. Like you said it will fail but I can't promise it the notification will be gone for good.

Have you Todd Wicked Sensations? The same dev that made anakonda made it. He will be finished with his wicked sensation base on the official jellybean real soon if you would like to wait a day or so.
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Soundtrack to Chaos View Post
    Since you said it's soo good, Iike to know some features of it please

I'm getting the romming bug, i've been making app backups and sms backups for the past 2 weeks, lol

My phone is hungry

I used to use physical buttons, and then I found button savior
    -S. T. C

Sent from my rooted, debloated CM10 jelly bean 4.1.2 Samsung Galaxy S3 #LikeABo$$
    AnaKonda

ROM
    Whatever suits me

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    You can do whatever you want. You can flash the stock or wait for it to be updated. You can try the update. Like you said it will fail but I can't promise it the notification will be gone for good.

Have you Todd Wicked Sensations? The same dev that made anakonda made it. He will be finished with his wicked sensation base on the official jellybean real soon if you would like to wait a day or so.
    I did and I like that one as well. I just started to try different ROMs as I got more comfortable with doing this. I would definitely go back after it's updated. I also tried the personal build that they put out but I found it to be way too buggy on my phone so I went back to Anakonda.

I think I'll flash the update and try out the new JB stuff and wait for some new ROMs to arrive.

Thanks for the help.

Hey guys, just installed LJ7 Deoxed runs good , but can't get wifi tethering to work now any suggestions ?
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by pappy58 View Post
    Hey guys, just installed LJ7 Deoxed runs good , but can't get wifi tethering to work now any suggestions ?
    Please try to use the search button every now and then. This has been asked and answered a dozen times. There is no way to get free Wi-Fi tethering on Jellybean at this time.
    Thanked by: