Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Root and ROM with no Computer?

    My pc is on the downhill slide, I'd rather not get frustrated with it if I don't have to.
    Is it possible to root with no pc with the S3?
  2. #2  
    Skunkape60's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    4,518 Posts

    Default Re: Root and ROM with no Computer?

    No it is NOT possible.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Root and ROM with no Computer?

    Well soab. WHERE'S THE ONE CLICK ROOT??!?! Haha looks like I'll be dancing with the Old Dell lol.

    Any recommendation on an overall kickass ROM?
  4. #4  
    Skunkape60's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    4,518 Posts

    Default Re: Root and ROM with no Computer?

    Take you pick there are quite a few good ones. Do you like AOSP, CM, TW Based, Themed or un themed. We are lucky to have a great dev community on this phone there is surely something for everyone.

    What's your preference?
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Root and ROM with no Computer?

    I love the Cyanogen roms but they always seem to be buggy. Is there a rock solid version of cm out there? Something that won't crash or fc and still retain all the functionality of the stock phone, just better? Are you able to update profile or PRL on any of the CM's out there now?

    Other than that I'm really looking for a stable ROM that adds performance while still keeping good battery life. Themes are nice but they're mostly personal preference with the aesthetics so options are nice on regards to theming.

    Gotta get rid of the bloat on this phone....there is A LOT of bloat pre-installed on it.

    Something with a kernel that gives options for governors is great.

    So to start with, non CM, but would like to flash a recovery that is compatible with CM so if I want to try it later it's an easy switch.

    Whatcha think?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Root and ROM with no Computer?

    TW = TouchWiz, yes? It's that what the stock setup is called?
  7. #7  
    Skunkape60's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    4,518 Posts

    Default Re: Root and ROM with no Computer?

    Quote Originally Posted by gilbequick View Post
    TW = TouchWiz, yes? It's that what the stock setup is called?
    I would definitely suggest Wicked Sensations.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: Root and ROM with no Computer?

    Off to give Wicked Sensations a go.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Root and ROM with no Computer?

    Skunk where could I get a one click root? I remember when I rooted my s2 it used clockwork mod as the recovery.

    I am fully updated (used your manual JB update). I would like to stay this stock JB rom but just have root access for apps and APKs. Any suggestions?

    Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
  10. #10  
    Skunkape60's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    4,518 Posts

    Default Re: Root and ROM with no Computer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    Skunk where could I get a one click root? I remember when I rooted my s2 it used clockwork mod as the recovery.

    I am fully updated (used your manual JB update). I would like to stay this stock JB rom but just have root access for apps and APKs. Any suggestions?

    Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums
    There really isn't a one click root for our phone.

    You can flash a huge 800+ mb prerooted tar image with Odin and then flash a recovery tar. Drawbacks are you may not always have the most updated software version. Will wipe apps and data.

    Or

    Flash a small recovery tar and root from recovery. Advantage it is a much smaller file to flash in Odin and will root your existing software without losing any data.

    How to root guide for Sprint GS3
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho....php?p=2103848
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
    Thanked by:
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Root and ROM with no Computer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    There really isn't a one click root for our phone.

    You can flash a huge 800+ mb prerooted tar image with Odin and then flash a recovery tar. Drawbacks are you may not always have the most updated software version. Will wipe apps and data.

    Or

    Flash a small recovery tar and root from recovery. Advantage it is a much smaller file to flash in Odin and will root your existing software without losing any data.

    How to root guide for Sprint GS3
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho....php?p=2103848
    Thanks Skunk. I will go the 2nd route by following your guide so I can keep apps and just be rooted .

    Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Root and ROM with no Computer?

    I followed your guide and was able to root.

    Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.

Similar Threads

  1. Rooting and Roms.
    By weenerdog3443 in forum Samsung Intercept
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-27-2010, 03:09 PM
  2. Rooting and ROM question
    By nygbrad in forum Incredible Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-15-2010, 09:38 AM
  3. Rooted and Rom'ed, How do i get the OTA
    By jmcsmith in forum Verizon Droid Incredible
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-30-2010, 10:38 AM
  4. In search of...Rooted Stock Froyo, with No Sense or HTC Programs...Vanilla FroYo!
    By daving313 in forum HTC EVO 4G Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-05-2010, 06:29 PM
  5. Simple Fast Root Method With Rooted 1.47.651.1 Stock ROM with NO ADBs...Check Here!
    By Tattrpuff in forum HTC EVO 4G Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: 07-28-2010, 12:39 PM

Posting Permissions