Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Default Re: Noob question: Wifi tethering for rooted users is completely free on sprint? can you get caught?

Quote Originally Posted by Soundtrack to Chaos View Post
    I was actually having am issue in which my computer recognized the wifi tether bout couldn't connect because of dns server thing

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    Check the routing fix box and that should clear it up

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #27  

Default Re: Noob question: Wifi tethering for rooted users is completely free on sprint? can you get caught?

Originally Posted by Soundtrack to Chaos<br />
    I was actually having am issue in which my computer recognized the wifi tether bout couldn't connect because of dns server thing <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Check the routing fix box and that should clear it up<br />
    <br />
    Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis
    The issue was that I didn't have my 3g on so it wasn't connecting to got it fixed tho, thanks
    Android is a tune up sports car with custom interior, sound system, and IOS is a stock model benz

I use Android, because unlike IOS, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not infinitely cluttered homescreens

Lmao, actually I would love to see someone wifi tether their xbox to their phone and play call of duty on it all day, I wonder how much gigs that would run up

back about two and half years ago when the original evo came out i tethered it in my van on the way to texas from indy. i had two laptops and a 360 tethered to it playing on my 15" overhead. kids now just dont understand. i had 3 siblings in a 4dr sedan with not electronics. lol. as long as the ping was not higher than about 100 to 150 and i had a up/down above 350 to 400 it was very stable. sometimes i would drop live on tower jump though. but that was driving on the interstate. remember what connections where when live came out. i was getting about 356kps down at my house ten years ago and playing xbox. the higher grafix with todays consoles dont affect bandwith need on games like that either.

edit. and this was just on 3g. not wimax

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

Lmao, actually I would love to see someone wifi tether their xbox to their phone and play call of duty on it all day, I wonder how much gigs that would run up

Actually I use my gs3 to download updates and what not from Xbox live. I even downloaded dead island overnight from it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

Please don't thank me unless I have helped you in some way, if you like my post then click like not thanks.

Check out my github @ https://github.com/gollum18 or My Android Applications @ http://lrdev.net76.net
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #30  

Quote Originally Posted by gollum18 View Post
    Actually I use my gs3 to download updates and what not from Xbox live. I even downloaded dead island overnight from it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Lmao

I wld surely get caught if I did that, I'm not a big data consumer, under 100 mb per month

Sent from my Google Nexus 7 running aokp 4.1.2, because there is no PacMan rom for the nexus
    Android is a tune up sports car with custom interior, sound system, and IOS is a stock model benz

I use Android, because unlike IOS, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not infinitely cluttered homescreens

I got in a pissing contest with my roomate about not wanting to pay the neighbors so much for internet and made up my mind to use my evo shift usb tether as my primary connection and it was streaming fairly high quality tv and music and surfing the web almost anytime I was at home and sometimes when I was at work even. Never heard a peep from sprint about it but I'm sure they might know something was up since The bill clearly reflected that I was on a completely different playing field for data use compared to the other people on the family plan. like comparing a squirt gun to a fire hose. That was all 3g too and I feel guilty for sucking up a city block worth of crumby sprint bandwith with my phone. The only problem was that at about 7-9 am and 3-5pm the service would slow down almost to the point that netflix wouldn't run or at least not well enough to tolerate. I'm pretty sure that had nothing to do with throttling or tethering and everything to do with thousands of people waking up to go to work and school and playing with their phones and other draws on the 3g.

- - - Updated - - -

I got in a pissing contest with my roomate about not wanting to pay the neighbors so much for internet and made up my mind to use my evo shift usb tether as my primary connection and it was streaming fairly high quality tv and music and surfing the web almost anytime I was at home and sometimes when I was at work even. Never heard a peep from sprint about it but I'm sure they might know something was up since The bill clearly reflected that I was on a completely different playing field for data use compared to the other people on the family plan. like comparing a squirt gun to a fire hose. That was all 3g too and I feel guilty for sucking up a city block worth of crumby sprint bandwith with my phone. The only problem was that at about 7-9 am and 3-5pm the service would slow down almost to the point that netflix wouldn't run or at least not well enough to tolerate. I'm pretty sure that had nothing to do with throttling or tethering and everything to do with thousands of people waking up to go to work and school and playing with their phones and other draws on the 3g.

Actually you'd be surprised. Xbox live only uses data in the kbps, not Mbps. I have a rooted htc thunderbolt 4G on verizon and it is my only source of Internet (I use between 100-300Gb of data every month). And it works great for everything I need. Plus, I've never had any problem with verizon billing me for tethering. At my home I get around 20Mbps up and down, and me and my wife can watch Netflix or Hulu on the tv and iPad at the same time while downloading large files on my computer with no problems at all. So I wouldn't worry about big red. Can't say anything for sprint tho.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #33  

Quote Originally Posted by Spinkness View Post
    Actually you'd be surprised. Xbox live only uses data in the kbps, not Mbps. I have a rooted htc thunderbolt 4G on verizon and it is my only source of Internet (I use between 100-300Gb of data every month). And it works great for everything I need. Plus, I've never had any problem with verizon billing me for tethering. At my home I get around 20Mbps up and down, and me and my wife can watch Netflix or Hulu on the tv and iPad at the same time while downloading large files on my computer with no problems at all. So I wouldn't worry about big red. Can't say anything for sprint tho.
    Wow, that's crazy, lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 running Liquid Smooth RC2 4.2.2 stable

just to jump in here, lets say you tether to your phone, but then connect via a VPN service. This should block the network's ability to see which OS/browser is generating the traffic, no? In this scenario, would it be possible for Sprint to tell the difference between your phone's traffic and other connected devices?

Oh Im also a verizon galaxy nexus user with a CM 10 on it. So u mean that I wont get caught for tethering about 10 GB even when I have a smaller data plan?
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #36  

Quote Originally Posted by gnalfjf3131 View Post
    Oh Im also a verizon galaxy nexus user with a CM 10 on it. So u mean that I wont get caught for tethering about 10 GB even when I have a smaller data plan?
    The most I've tethered west about 500mb so I'm not sure

Quote Originally Posted by gnalfjf3131 View Post
    Using a wifi hotspot app doesn't change your data plan limits. 10 GB is 10 GB, whether it's downloading to your phone, or downloading through your phone to a computer. So while Verizon probably can't tell that you're tethered, they can, and certainly do, keep track of how much data is being sent to your phone. And if you exceed your limit, they'll either cut you off or charge you for the extra, depending on how their plans work.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12