Manual update to Jelly Bean failing with Swype error

GK3K

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm running a stock, but rooted S III. I've tried installing the latest OTA update, but it fails during the "Verifying current system..." with the error:

assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/app/Swype.apk" (lots of numbers and letters after this)

When I applied the last ICS upgrade, I found the built-in Swype to be lacking voice recognition. So, I re-installed the beta without issue.

I went into Titanium and froze both the beta and 1.0 version of Swype thinking it was seeing the beta and was failing.

I also manually downloaded the LI7 for good measure and tried installing that file with the same results.

Any ideas?

Thanks! :)

EDIT: Side note: When I choose the option to install from sdcard, nothing is visible. So, I've been doing my manual updates by copying them to the cache folder. Off the top of my head, I think it's related how the sdcard is formatted.

Last edited:

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm running a stock, but rooted S III. I've tried installing the latest OTA update, but it fails during the "Verifying current system..." with the error:

assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/app/Swype.apk" (lots of numbers and letters after this)

When I applied the last ICS upgrade, I found the built-in Swype to be lacking voice recognition. So, I re-installed the beta without issue.

I went into Titanium and froze both the beta and 1.0 version of Swype thinking it was seeing the beta and was failing.

I also manually downloaded the LI7 for good measure and tried installing that file with the same results.

Any ideas?

Thanks! :)

EDIT: Side note: When I choose the option to install from sdcard, nothing is visible. So, I've been doing my manual updates by copying them to the cache folder. Off the top of my head, I think it's related how the sdcard is formatted.

Yes the sd card must be formatted to the fat32 file system.

GK3K

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
To install the manual update you MUST be on the external sdcard.
I'm going to move the update to the card and run it from there.

I'm curious as to why all the previous updates were able to run from on-board memory. What about folks that got the OTA notification and don't have an external memory card?

GK3K

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to move the update to the card and run it from there.

I'm curious as to why all the previous updates were able to run from on-board memory. What about folks that got the OTA notification and don't have an external memory card?
No go. Same error.

I've done all previous updates by placing the update in the /cache or /fota folder on the on board memory.

Image of the exact error:

DSC_3294.jpg

jhill110

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
No go. Same error.

I've done all previous updates by placing the update in the /cache or /fota folder on the on board memory.

Image of the exact error:

Perhaps the file is corrupted.
Personally I would just start over by downloading & flashing the CWM touch recovery posted by MR Skunkape60 in his thread:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp...e-updated-how-root-your-sprint-galaxy-s3.html

Then flash a freshly D/L'd JB from his thread (I used the method from post # 4) here:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-galaxy-s-iii/218901-your-way-update.html

I hope you can get it done it's great. Luv'n me some "Google Now".
Good Luck,
James

GK3K

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps the file is corrupted.
Personally I would just start over by downloading & flashing the CWM touch recovery posted by MR Skunkape60 in his thread:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp...e-updated-how-root-your-sprint-galaxy-s3.html

Then flash a freshly D/L'd JB from his thread (I used the method from post # 4) here:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-galaxy-s-iii/218901-your-way-update.html

I hope you can get it done it's great. Luv'n me some "Google Now".
Good Luck,
James

I'll give it a shot and report back. I tried using the OTA download file and also downloaded it from an alternate source.

GK3K

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
I'll give it a shot and report back. I tried using the OTA download file and also downloaded it from an alternate source.
I'd rather upgrade without performing a factory reset.

I'll keep scouring the 'net and see if I can find any resolution. The Swype error is defiantly odd and a first for me since I've successfully upgraded the phone many times using stock recovery.

I'm wondering how Swype is involved in this problem.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I'd rather upgrade without performing a factory reset.

I'll keep scouring the 'net and see if I can find any resolution. The Swype error is defiantly odd and a first for me since I've successfully upgraded the phone many times using stock recovery.

I'm wondering how Swype is involved in this problem.

You can root this phone without losing ANY data. Then flash the stock jellybvean on your phone. AGAIN without losing ANY data. If you don't want root you can UNroot without losing ANY data. and replace custom recovery with stock without losing ANY data.

I have been on this phone and forum since day one. I have yet to see ANYONE update this phone with stock recovery WITHOUT an sdcard. i am not saying it can't be done. Just that I have never seen it when manually put on the phone. The only time I've seen it work from the update from cache was when the file was put on the phone through the ota. I have never seen it work when the file was manually placed there.

Good luck...

GK3K

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
You can root this phone without losing ANY data. Then flash the stock jellybvean on your phone. AGAIN without losing ANY data. If you don't want root you can UNroot without losing ANY data. and replace custom recovery with stock without losing ANY data.

I have been on this phone and forum since day one. I have yet to see ANYONE update this phone with stock recovery WITHOUT an sdcard. i am not saying it can't be done. Just that I have never seen it when manually put on the phone. The only time I've seen it work from the update from cache was when the file was put on the phone through the ota. I have never seen it work when the file was manually placed there.

Good luck...
The phone is currently rooted and protected with Voodoo. I went back to my archives and applied TeamEpic-Sprint-SGS3-stock-boot-and-recovery.tar which rolled it back a few versions. I am currently trying to install PLI3 again.

I you not, I've downloaded OTA updates that were either posted here or XDA and then used "File Manager" (with root access enabled) to copy the update into the /cache or /fota folder which the stock recovery can navigate into. I've been able to perform the last three updates using that method. Not once did I have to place it on the external MiroSD card.

Interestingly, downgrading the firmware has decreased my wireless connectivity speed by a huge margin. I'm using FTPserver to copy the PLI3 to the phone as I type. I'm getting an average of 160KB/s. With the last and newer upgraded, I easily would be transferring data at over 1.5-3MB/s.

Ah, the life of being on bleeding-edge :)

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
If you are already rooted why didn't you just flash the updated stock rom in cwm? Seems like an awful lot of hassle when you could just flash it like a regular rom.

GK3K

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
If you are already rooted why didn't you just flash the updated stock rom in cwm? Seems like an awful lot of hassle when you could just flash it like a regular rom.
You read my mind.

I flashed CWM, but I still get a failure when attempting to install the update. I have tried three different sources. Now, I am trying it once again with CWM and using [ROM] 11/4/12 Sprint Touchwiz Jelly Bean 4.1.1 (L710VPBLJ7) Odex/DeOdex - xda-developers as all other attempts have failed.

GK3K

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
You read my mind.

I flashed CWM, but I still get a failure when attempting to install the update. I have tried three different sources. Now, I am trying it once again with CWM and using [ROM] 11/4/12 Sprint Touchwiz Jelly Bean 4.1.1 (L710VPBLJ7) Odex/DeOdex - xda-developers as all other attempts have failed.
So, to clarify, I tried installing the OTA room using stock recovery and CWM and they would both fail with that damned Swype message.

I downloaded the linked rom and installed it in less than 2 minutes via CWM. Phone booted up and has the new boot animation. It is currently in the process upgrading my apps.

GK3K

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Well, I hadn't planned on going the aftermarket ROM route, since I was quite happy with Samsung's attempt. I went with CyanogenMod with my OG EVO as it was a dead horse and it brought some life back into it.

Technically, the ROM I installed is "stock," but pre-rooted. I'm digging the Jelly Bean features that I am just now playing with. I'm glad I didn't have to re-install everything (feeling lazy) or lose any data.

It's nice seeing my trusty friend ClockworkMod back on my phone again. I hope the dev has push notifications.

Thanks for your support and patience, Skunkape60. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08