Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Skunkape60
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default So I just rooted my phone... questions

Hmm, just getting into this rooting business all the kids are doing these days. Just followed Skunkape60's excellent guide and things went fine.

Question #1: Do I need Rom Manager? It says I need ClockworkMod in order to proceed, but following the above mentioned guide -- I have ClockworkMod correct? But the clockworkmod is a custom one developed by teamEpic correct? Several threads say get Rom Manager and several say do not...

Question #2: I booted into recovery mode and did a backup from ClockworkMod (this is what CWM means I assume). Is this the same as a Nandroid backup? I should back these files up to somewhere off the phone correct?

In general I just want to have all my ducks in a row so that I can go back to some stock state in case I need to invoke warranty. I like this phone, but it is freaking slippery. I've had it only a day and dumped on the sidewalk...

Default Re: So I just rooted my phone... questions

if u followed Skunkape60 directions it'll b fine some ppl like CWM and some like TWRP its pretty much your prefrence and yes always do a bacc up wen rooting make sure u do wipe 2
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by jason1mc View Post
    Hmm, just getting into this rooting business all the kids are doing these days. Just followed Skunkape60's excellent guide and things went fine.

Question #1: Do I need Rom Manager? It says I need ClockworkMod in order to proceed, but following the above mentioned guide -- I have ClockworkMod correct? But the clockworkmod is a custom one developed by teamEpic correct? Several threads say get Rom Manager and several say do not...

Question #2: I booted into recovery mode and did a backup from ClockworkMod (this is what CWM means I assume). Is this the same as a Nandroid backup? I should back these files up to somewhere off the phone correct?

In general I just want to have all my ducks in a row so that I can go back to some stock state in case I need to invoke warranty. I like this phone, but it is freaking slippery. I've had it only a day and dumped on the sidewalk...
    Do not use rom manager... pos...
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif

Global Posts
    69 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    Do not use rom manager... pos...
    +1. ROM Manager has always been more trouble than it's worth. Just flash ROMs manually. It's not hard.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by jason1mc View Post

Here is another guide you might want to read before you start flashing roms. It explains what you want to wipe when flashing different things such as mods, kernels roms and also explains oh to do your nandroid backups. It is written in the same step by step format as my How to Root Guide.

If you want to use apps like Rom Manager it is your choice. However I feel you will be better off learning to do it yourself as you will be better served in the long run. Especially if something isn't working right. You will have a better understanding on what is required to fix it and how to do
    so.

How to Flash in Custom Recovery
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
    Parnelli98 likes this.