Results 1 to 21 of 21
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Skunkape60
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    tyrntlzrdking's Avatar

    Posts
    34 Posts
    ROM
    stock JB 4.1.1 / root

    Default Nandroid or Titanium backup?

    Recently rooted my stock phone.
    I installed Titanium Pro, and did a full backup (backup all user apps + system data) to my internal SD card. The data was also sent to my Dropbox, and Google drive for storage.
    Should I still do a Nandroid backup? Is there a need?

    Thanks
    Last edited by tyrntlzrdking; 12-06-2012 at 04:31 PM.
  2. #2  
    piizzadude's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,768 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

    Default Re: Nandroid or Titanium backup?

    I only do nandroids right before I flash a new ROM. but it never hurts. Especially if you find yourself unable to get to your online storage and need a local copy (yes I am sure it is backed up in both places, but you need to get to the OS to do a restore from TI
  3. #3  
    DoesItMatter's Avatar

    Posts
    294 Posts
    ROM
    Rooted Jellybean, CM 7.2

    Default Re: Nandroid or Titanium backup?

    Always have a backup for your backup.

    I backup almost all my data apps but none of my system apps as most of those will re-update automatically though Google play if necessary for a restore.

    I Nandroid backup as well because I like to mess around in the System folder doing tweaks and such.

    If you mess with the system folder - Nandroid is your friend!

    If all you do is add/remove apps and only tinker around in data - Titanium backup should be good for you.
    Soylent Green Is People!
    Sprint - Samsung Galaxy S3 --- Rooted, Tweaked, & Obfuscated
    Jellybomb Domination 20.7.0 with all bloat removed - Philz Touch Recovery 6.0
    KToons 11/4/13 TW Kernel -- MK3 Modem/Radio -- PRL 25016
  4. #4  
    mclarryjr's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    5,727 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

    Default Re: Nandroid or Titanium backup?

    And few times I got into trouble by not having a nandroid backup but have yet to get it to trouble because I had to many. It's always better to be safe then sorry.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    tyrntlzrdking's Avatar

    Posts
    34 Posts
    ROM
    stock JB 4.1.1 / root

    Cool Re: Nandroid or Titanium backup?

    Thanks.
  6. #6  
    piizzadude's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,768 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

    Default Re: Nandroid or Titanium backup?

    I cannot speak for TI but as far as a nandroid, it is a total image of how your phone is right now. you can restore it, all of it, as you have it. It will overwrite the current rom if it is different than the nandroid.

    I never had a ton of faith in TI, but I never used it that extensively.
    Thanked by:
  7. #7  
    Skunkape60's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    4,518 Posts

    Default Re: Nandroid or Titanium backup?

    Titanium backup is very good for backing up apps and app settings if you tend to bounce from rom to rom. Nandroid is great to do prior to jumping to a different rom as makes a mirror image and if you need to go back it is great.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
    Thanked by:
    Uncle Louie likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  
    tyrntlzrdking's Avatar

    Posts
    34 Posts
    ROM
    stock JB 4.1.1 / root

    Default Re: Nandroid or Titanium backup?

    OK great. Now I know the Titanium Backup Pro (backup all user apps + system data), is not a mirror image of my data.
    It should not be used for a full restore of my phone in case of a problem.
  9. #9  
    Skunkape60's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    4,518 Posts

    Default Re: Nandroid or Titanium backup?

    Quote Originally Posted by tyrntlzrdking View Post
    OK great. Now I know the Titanium Backup Pro (backup all user apps + system data), is not a mirror image of my data.
    It should not be used for a full restore of my phone in case of a problem.
    EXACTLY!!!
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
  10. #10  
    Tkbredx's Avatar

    Posts
    1,856 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,857 Global Posts
    ROM
    TeamSonicFreeGS3 v9.1

    Default Re: Nandroid or Titanium backup?

    Use both! They are excellent at bringing your phone back to the way you had it
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Nandroid or Titanium backup?

    Quote Originally Posted by tyrntlzrdking View Post
    Recently rooted my stock phone.
    I installed Titanium Pro, and did a full backup (backup all user apps + system data) to my internal SD card. The data was also sent to my Dropbox, and Google drive for storage.
    Should I still do a Nandroid backup? Is there a need?

    Thanks
    I do Nandroid's now and then just in case. It has saved my backside a couple of times.
    I installed Cerberus Anti theft as a system app for access to more options. Problem was I could no longer access my phone through my pc to transfer files and such. Couldn't un-install Cerberus. My only option was a Nandroid backup. Solved my problem. Personally I am a big believer in them. They take up a lot of space but I do some house cleaning now and then and I feel safe knowing I have them.
  12. #12  
    wyldemf's Avatar

    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nandroid or Titanium backup?

    I use both, TB to backup specific app data for jumping from ROM to ROM. And nandroid for when I'm messing around or just want to be safe knowing I can turn back the clock if I need to have a working system on the go if anything ever goes wrong.
  13. #13  
    piizzadude's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,768 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

    Default Re: Nandroid or Titanium backup?

    Restoring system files leads to nothing but trouble. Apps is another story, but almost never system files

    Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis
  14. #14  
    jay28w's Avatar

    Posts
    53 Posts
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nandroid or Titanium backup?

    For me...

    Nandroid for a complete image of my fresh ROMs with my additional Market Apps loaded and most system configs (blue tooth, etc)
    TI Pro for up to date data backup of ever changing data (txt, call log, some game data, etc)
  15. #15  
    rando991's Avatar

    Posts
    550 Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Rooted

    Default Re: Nandroid or Titanium backup?

    Nandroids are better than for fixing problems with the system. For instance, my wife's phone's voice search stopped working, but no restoration from Titanium Backup could fix it. Rather than doing a factory reset, I used a recent Nandroid backup and that did it. I only recommend keeping maybe the first nandroid backup somewhere on your computer for extreme emergencies, then only keeping the most recent one on the phone. They are large files. They are kept on the SD card under Clockworkmod/backups folder. Don't rename them or CWM could not recognize them.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Nandroid or Titanium backup?

    Quote Originally Posted by rando991 View Post
    They are large files. They are kept on the SD card under Clockworkmod/backups folder. Don't rename them or CWM could not recognize them.
    could you make a folder with the unchanged name file and then put a note in the same folder to help identify what the file is for? I am assuming most ppl would rename the file for identification purposes. For me this would be a good alternative if CWM would still be able to use the file from within a different folder which I dont see why it wouldn't.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Nandroid or Titanium backup?

    I mean no disrespect, but this thread leaves a lot to be desired! If I were a new user and wanted to know the difference between a Nandroid backup and using Titanium Backup I would still be lost..

    Let me attempt to clarify.

    A Nandroid is another term for image. In computing an image is an exact copy of whatever you imaged bit for bit, and said image is stored as a file. Therefore, if you create a nandroid of your phone, you are creating an exact copy of the phone, and that nandroid can be restored at anytime in-case damage incurs at a later date. Its always good practice to keep 2-3 date stamped nandroids as well, and to off load those to a second location like dropbox or google drive.

    Creating a Nandroid image is another animal and the prerequisites are: You must have root user access and a custom boot-loader installed. (Many solid write ups on how to do this are stickied!)

    (edited)
    Titanium Backup handles backing up your apps (and their settings), freezing apps, and uninstalling apps that you don't want (aka bloatware.) The main functionality of Titanium Backup is useful if you have saved games or settings you want to keep while switching between ROMs. However, Google is working to allow app syncs to the cloud, so the need to use Titanium Backup for backing up apps will soon phase out, but it'll still be useful for freezing and removing those nasty preinstalled applications.
    Last edited by SyDiko; 08-16-2013 at 09:24 AM.
  18. #18  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    13,598 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,873 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

    Default Re: Nandroid or Titanium backup?

    Quote Originally Posted by SyDiko View Post
    the need for Titanium Backup will soon phase out.
    Welcome to the forums.

    I disagree. Titanium can also freeze bloatware that even the OS settings in the Application Manager won't allow. I just helped another user who was having trouble with a third party launcher. Told him to use Titanium to freeze the stock one.

    Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Nandroid or Titanium backup?

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Welcome to the forums.

    I disagree. Titanium can also freeze bloatware that even the OS settings in the Application Manager won't allow. I just helped another user who was having trouble with a third party launcher. Told him to use Titanium to freeze the stock one.
    Thank you!

    Yes you're right! I forgot you could freeze (and remove bloatware apps) with Titanium Backup. To be honest with you, It's been awhile since I had to do that. (edited my above post for consistency.)
    Thanked by:
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Nandroid or Titanium backup?

    Thank you all for the information.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Nandroid or Titanium backup?

    Quote Originally Posted by SyDiko View Post
    I mean no disrespect, but this thread leaves a lot to be desired! If I were a new user and wanted to know the difference between a Nandroid backup and using Titanium Backup I would still be lost..

    Let me attempt to clarify.

    A Nandroid is another term for image. In computing an image is an exact copy of whatever you imaged bit for bit, and said image is stored as a file. Therefore, if you create a nandroid of your phone, you are creating an exact copy of the phone, and that nandroid can be restored at anytime in-case damage incurs at a later date. Its always good practice to keep 2-3 date stamped nandroids as well, and to off load those to a second location like dropbox or google drive.

    Creating a Nandroid image is another animal and the prerequisites are: You must have root user access and a custom boot-loader installed. (Many solid write ups on how to do this are stickied!)

    (edited)
    Titanium Backup handles backing up your apps (and their settings), freezing apps, and uninstalling apps that you don't want (aka bloatware.) The main functionality of Titanium Backup is useful if you have saved games or settings you want to keep while switching between ROMs. However, Google is working to allow app syncs to the cloud, so the need to use Titanium Backup for backing up apps will soon phase out, but it'll still be useful for freezing and removing those nasty preinstalled applications.
    I've just recently started rooting and have decided to take advantage of both Titanium and nandroid backups. That being said, you mentioned offloading nandroid backups to the cloud (eg: Drive, Dropbox, etc) and I was wondering what is the most efficient, and newb friendly, way of doing so? Any insight you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Similar Threads

  1. Nandroid backup vs. Titanium backup
    By jaileer in forum HTC EVO 4G Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-18-2014, 11:32 AM
  2. Data Wipe & Restore with Nandroid/Titanium Backup - PLEASE HELP & ADVISE!
    By obliq74 in forum HTC EVO 4G Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-05-2011, 11:41 AM
  3. If Temp Root, what happens to Apps moved to SD or Frooze by Titanium Backup
    By Shift25 in forum HTC Evo Shift 4G Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-23-2011, 10:42 AM
  4. Quick 'My Backup'/'Titanium Backup'/'Nandroid' question
    By Klubhead in forum HTC EVO 4G Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-12-2011, 12:11 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-07-2010, 11:45 AM

Posting Permissions

B