Nandroid or Titanium backup?

tyrntlzrdking

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Recently rooted my stock phone.
I installed Titanium Pro, and did a full backup (backup all user apps + system data) to my internal SD card. The data was also sent to my Dropbox, and Google drive for storage.
Should I still do a Nandroid backup? Is there a need?

Thanks

Last edited:

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I only do nandroids right before I flash a new ROM. but it never hurts. Especially if you find yourself unable to get to your online storage and need a local copy (yes I am sure it is backed up in both places, but you need to get to the OS to do a restore from TI

DoesItMatter

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Always have a backup for your backup.

I backup almost all my data apps but none of my system apps as most of those will re-update automatically though Google play if necessary for a restore.

I Nandroid backup as well because I like to mess around in the System folder doing tweaks and such.

If you mess with the system folder - Nandroid is your friend!

If all you do is add/remove apps and only tinker around in data - Titanium backup should be good for you.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
And few times I got into trouble by not having a nandroid backup but have yet to get it to trouble because I had to many. It's always better to be safe then sorry.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I cannot speak for TI but as far as a nandroid, it is a total image of how your phone is right now. you can restore it, all of it, as you have it. It will overwrite the current rom if it is different than the nandroid.

I never had a ton of faith in TI, but I never used it that extensively.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Titanium backup is very good for backing up apps and app settings if you tend to bounce from rom to rom. Nandroid is great to do prior to jumping to a different rom as makes a mirror image and if you need to go back it is great.

tyrntlzrdking

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
OK great. Now I know the Titanium Backup Pro (backup all user apps + system data), is not a mirror image of my data. :cool:
It should not be used for a full restore of my phone in case of a problem.

jhill110

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Recently rooted my stock phone.
I installed Titanium Pro, and did a full backup (backup all user apps + system data) to my internal SD card. The data was also sent to my Dropbox, and Google drive for storage.
Should I still do a Nandroid backup? Is there a need?

Thanks

I do Nandroid's now and then just in case. It has saved my backside a couple of times.
I installed Cerberus Anti theft as a system app for access to more options. Problem was I could no longer access my phone through my pc to transfer files and such. Couldn't un-install Cerberus. My only option was a Nandroid backup. Solved my problem. Personally I am a big believer in them. They take up a lot of space but I do some house cleaning now and then and I feel safe knowing I have them.

wyldemf

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I use both, TB to backup specific app data for jumping from ROM to ROM. And nandroid for when I'm messing around or just want to be safe knowing I can turn back the clock if I need to have a working system on the go if anything ever goes wrong.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Restoring system files leads to nothing but trouble. Apps is another story, but almost never system files

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

jay28w

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
For me...

Nandroid for a complete image of my fresh ROMs with my additional Market Apps loaded and most system configs (blue tooth, etc)
TI Pro for up to date data backup of ever changing data (txt, call log, some game data, etc)

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Nandroids are better than for fixing problems with the system. For instance, my wife's phone's voice search stopped working, but no restoration from Titanium Backup could fix it. Rather than doing a factory reset, I used a recent Nandroid backup and that did it. I only recommend keeping maybe the first nandroid backup somewhere on your computer for extreme emergencies, then only keeping the most recent one on the phone. They are large files. They are kept on the SD card under Clockworkmod/backups folder. Don't rename them or CWM could not recognize them.

Griffin25

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
They are large files. They are kept on the SD card under Clockworkmod/backups folder. Don't rename them or CWM could not recognize them.

could you make a folder with the unchanged name file and then put a note in the same folder to help identify what the file is for? I am assuming most ppl would rename the file for identification purposes. For me this would be a good alternative if CWM would still be able to use the file from within a different folder which I dont see why it wouldn't.

SyDiko

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I mean no disrespect, but this thread leaves a lot to be desired! If I were a new user and wanted to know the difference between a Nandroid backup and using Titanium Backup I would still be lost..

Let me attempt to clarify.

A Nandroid is another term for image. In computing an image is an exact copy of whatever you imaged bit for bit, and said image is stored as a file. Therefore, if you create a nandroid of your phone, you are creating an exact copy of the phone, and that nandroid can be restored at anytime in-case damage incurs at a later date. Its always good practice to keep 2-3 date stamped nandroids as well, and to off load those to a second location like dropbox or google drive.

Creating a Nandroid image is another animal and the prerequisites are: You must have root user access and a custom boot-loader installed. (Many solid write ups on how to do this are stickied!)

(edited)
Titanium Backup handles backing up your apps (and their settings), freezing apps, and uninstalling apps that you don't want (aka bloatware.) The main functionality of Titanium Backup is useful if you have saved games or settings you want to keep while switching between ROMs. However, Google is working to allow app syncs to the cloud, so the need to use Titanium Backup for backing up apps will soon phase out, but it'll still be useful for freezing and removing those nasty preinstalled applications.

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
the need for Titanium Backup will soon phase out.

Welcome to the forums.

I disagree. Titanium can also freeze bloatware that even the OS settings in the Application Manager won't allow. I just helped another user who was having trouble with a third party launcher. Told him to use Titanium to freeze the stock one.

SyDiko

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the forums.

I disagree. Titanium can also freeze bloatware that even the OS settings in the Application Manager won't allow. I just helped another user who was having trouble with a third party launcher. Told him to use Titanium to freeze the stock one.

Thank you!

Yes you're right! I forgot you could freeze (and remove bloatware apps) with Titanium Backup. To be honest with you, It's been awhile since I had to do that. (edited my above post for consistency.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay