Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Which cpu governor do you normally run?

I normally run on demand or interactive, but I started using performance today, super fast, love it. Gotta see how the battery life is in extended use, as well as temperature
    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    Android is a tune up sports car with custom interior, sound system, and IOS is a stock model benz

I use Android, because unlike IOS, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not infinitely cluttered homescreens
    Wannabe kewl

Global Posts
    675 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations TW-JB

Default Re: Which cpu governor do you normally run?

Whatever the stock kernel defaults to. Interactive, I think. I'm at a day and a half on the battery with light usage, currently at 39% battery. I tried Performance when I ran SetCPU. I think I got something like a day and maybe 6hrs at 5% battery.

I'm currently not running any freq/gov app.
    "I drank what!?!?!" ~Socrates
    "Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor." ~NASA, 1965
    New users, click here!!
    Sprint Sammy GS3 | MB1 | Wicked Sensations JB v2.1 | TWRP 2.4.3.0
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Buddlespit View Post
    Whatever the stock kernel defaults to. Interactive, I think. I'm at a day and a half on the battery with light usage, currently at 39% battery. I tried Performance when I ran SetCPU. I think I got something like a day and maybe 6hrs at 5% battery.

I'm currently not running any freq/gov app.
    I use my phone a ton, when on wifi, im lucky to get about 10-12 hours heavy use before I'm down to about under 30%

When not on wifi, i tend to use my portable charger once I reach about 70 percent, which usually happens after 3 hours of lite use, and maybe a half hour of 3g

This was all on on demand or interactive

My plan now is to use performance when I'm heavily using it and on demand when I do light usage

Android is a tune up sports car with custom interior, sound system, and IOS is a stock model benz

I use Android, because unlike IOS, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not infinitely cluttered homescreens

ROM
    Wicked Sensations

Quote Originally Posted by Soundtrack to Chaos View Post
    I normally run on demand or interactive, but I started using performance today, super fast, love it. Gotta see how the battery life is in extended use, as well as temperature
    Performance will keep your cpu at max speed regardless of what you are doing. You will most likely see reduced battery life. Interactive is a little more responsive than ondemand. Honestly with this phone, it has been plenty fast enough that I haven't even looked into changing anything with the cpu.

More info CPU Governors explained - xda-developers
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by noc6285 View Post
    Performance will keep your cpu at max speed regardless of what you are doing. You will most likely see reduced battery life. Interactive is a little more responsive than ondemand. Honestly with this phone, it has been plenty fast enough that I haven't even looked into changing anything with the cpu.

More info CPU Governors explained - xda-developers
    I actually added the android Central governor thread to my readitlater app earlier, lol

ROM
    stock JB 4.1.1 / root

I just started using setCPU on my stock rooted phone. The only governor that will work is ondemand.
    The part that confuses me is the " tweakable options" list for ondemand.
    I have no idea how to use these settings, and wonder if I need to keep the "set on boot" checked all the time.

Last edited by tyrntlzrdking; 12-10-2012 at 08:50 AM.

ROM
    Stock

On stock kernel I am running mms-dcvs...sometimes On Demand.
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by tyrntlzrdking View Post
    I just started using setCPU on my stock rooted phone. The only governor that will work is ondemand.
    The part that confuses me is the " tweakable options" list for ondemand.
    I have no idea how to use these settings, and wonder if I need to keep the "set on boot" checked all the time.

http://s12.postimage.org/59ltac1dl/2...0_08_22_01.jpg
    On a stock kernel there is very little tweaking available. Your kernel must support the tweaks.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif

ROM
    stock JB 4.1.1 / root

Quote Originally Posted by tlrsax54 View Post
    On stock kernel I am running mms-dcvs...sometimes On Demand.
    When I select mms-dcvs or any governor other than ondemand listed in SetCPU I get a page that says "The current governor, msm-dcvs, does not support this menu....."

ROM
    stock JB 4.1.1 / root

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    On a stock kernel there is very little tweaking available. Your kernel must support the tweaks.
    Yes, I agree. I set a profile to watch my battery temperature. If it hits 100 degrees Fahrenheit it is supposed to lower the maximum MHz's.

I will probably select a new kernel that allows overclocking, underclocking and voltage adjustments in the near future so I can experiment.

ROM
    Stock

When I select mms-dcvs or any governor other than ondemand listed in SetCPU I get a page that says "The current governor, msm-dcvs, does not support this menu....."
    http://i49.tinypic.com/2rh78sm.png
    Reading one of your previous posts, I am under the impression you think that the message in the SetCPU screenshot means the governor doesn't work? If that's so...the governor works and you can use it, it's just not tweak-able, you just have to select it on the main screen and it's running. Personally I don't mess with tweaks too much ^^;

On Demand and msm-dcvs are both great, but On Demand jumps to max frequency for everything so I use msm-dcvs...

If you want to experiment, might I suggest ktoonz kernel? It comes with ktweaker app to handle all overclocking, governor and iso tweaks, and voltages...pretty nifty!

ROM
    stock JB 4.1.1 / root

tlrsax54

I am saying that setCPU tells me the only governor that the stock kernel works with is ondemand.
    (interactive, conservative and hotplug are not listed as options.

I will check out the ktoonz kernel. Thanks
    Last edited by tyrntlzrdking; 12-11-2012 at 01:56 AM.

ROM
    Stock

tlrsax54

I am saying that setCPU tells me the only governor that the stock kernel works with is ondemand.
    (interactive, conservative and hotplug are not listed as options.

I will check out the ktoonz kernel. Thanks
    That is not at all what it is saying, it clearly says the current governor "doesn't support this menu." That means two things :
    1. That menu is to tweak the governor, not to SET the governor, and that MSM-DCVS doesn't support tweaks.
    2. That menu shows you already have SET the governor to MSM-DCVS, selected and currently running, so it in fact does work

When you are on the first menu of SetCPU to set your values, below it will say "I/O" and "Governor", what ever is selected is what's running.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted

Since I'm on a stock rom, i'm running ondemand w/ noop. I also have a screen off profile of 584/384
    Did I help you at all? Return the favor by giving me a "thanks"
    LG Rumor -> LG Rumor Touch -> LG Optimus S (Cyanogenmod 7.2 on 2.3.5) -> Samsung Galaxy S3 (MK3 Barebones on 4.3) -> LG Nexus 5 (Carbon Nightlies on 4.4.2)

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly_Poison630 View Post
    Since I'm on a stock rom, i'm running ondemand w/ noop. I also have a screen off profile of 584/384
    Ohh those are some low values, and you don't experience any wake issues from having your phone wake from that low..

Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

Please don't thank me unless I have helped you in some way, if you like my post then click like not thanks.

Check out my github @ https://github.com/gollum18 or My Android Applications @ http://lrdev.net76.net
    Retired Ambassador

Mine are set lower than that and have never had any issues of not waking up. I am on the Stock kernel.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif

Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by gollum18 View Post
    Ohh those are some low values, and you don't experience any wake issues from having your phone wake from that low..

Not at all. If you use a kernel like kt747 for touchwiz you can set it even lower and still not get wake issues.
    Did I help you at all? Return the favor by giving me a "thanks"
    LG Rumor -> LG Rumor Touch -> LG Optimus S (Cyanogenmod 7.2 on 2.3.5) -> Samsung Galaxy S3 (MK3 Barebones on 4.3) -> LG Nexus 5 (Carbon Nightlies on 4.4.2)
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Since I have an extended battery now, I'm just going to run performance all the time while in use

Sent from my SPH - L710 running Pac Man Rom, like a #Bawse

Cfq /ondemand

Interactive.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Ktoonservative Kt747 kernel

Sent from my SPH - L710 running Pac Man Rom 4.1.2

My notification bar >>>>>> yours

Actually Ondemand seems to be more fluid for me... but mainly in what a appears to be not as well optimised apps.

At a decent underclock though Interactive is definitely very good for battery life.

Edit: Performance makes everything super fluid, even with downclocking the CPU.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums
    Last edited by sr2012; 12-25-2012 at 08:08 AM.

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

Quote Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post
    Actually Ondemand seems to be more fluid for me... but mainly in what a appears to be not as well optimised apps.

At a decent underclock though Interactive is definitely very good for battery life.

Edit: Performance makes everything super fluid, even with downclocking the CPU.

Performance will devour your battery since it keeps the cores at your set max MHz constantly.

I use ktoonservative with noop. I found some settings on xda for it and my phone is really smooth now (of course I mean smoother than usual).

Sent from my Slim Beaned 4.2.1 SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

Please don't thank me unless I have helped you in some way, if you like my post then click like not thanks.

Check out my github @ https://github.com/gollum18 or My Android Applications @ http://lrdev.net76.net
    Thanked by:
    sr2012 
    sr2012 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gollum18 View Post
    Performance will devour your battery since it keeps the cores at your set max MHz constantly.

I use ktoonservative with noop. I found some settings on xda for it and my phone is really smooth now (of course I mean smoother than usual).

Sent from my Slim Beaned 4.2.1 SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Yeah I use TrickDroid now with its default governor which is OnDemand or something similar.

which cpu app seems to work best on a stock rooted s3?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast