Which cpu governor do you normally run?

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I normally run on demand or interactive, but I started using performance today, super fast, love it. Gotta see how the battery life is in extended use, as well as temperature
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Buddlespit

Wannabe kewl
Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Whatever the stock kernel defaults to. Interactive, I think. I'm at a day and a half on the battery with light usage, currently at 39% battery. I tried Performance when I ran SetCPU. I think I got something like a day and maybe 6hrs at 5% battery.

I'm currently not running any freq/gov app.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Whatever the stock kernel defaults to. Interactive, I think. I'm at a day and a half on the battery with light usage, currently at 39% battery. I tried Performance when I ran SetCPU. I think I got something like a day and maybe 6hrs at 5% battery.

I'm currently not running any freq/gov app.

I use my phone a ton, when on wifi, im lucky to get about 10-12 hours heavy use before I'm down to about under 30%

When not on wifi, i tend to use my portable charger once I reach about 70 percent, which usually happens after 3 hours of lite use, and maybe a half hour of 3g

This was all on on demand or interactive

My plan now is to use performance when I'm heavily using it and on demand when I do light usage

noc6285

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I normally run on demand or interactive, but I started using performance today, super fast, love it. Gotta see how the battery life is in extended use, as well as temperature

Performance will keep your cpu at max speed regardless of what you are doing. You will most likely see reduced battery life. Interactive is a little more responsive than ondemand. Honestly with this phone, it has been plenty fast enough that I haven't even looked into changing anything with the cpu.

More info CPU Governors explained - xda-developers

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Performance will keep your cpu at max speed regardless of what you are doing. You will most likely see reduced battery life. Interactive is a little more responsive than ondemand. Honestly with this phone, it has been plenty fast enough that I haven't even looked into changing anything with the cpu.

More info CPU Governors explained - xda-developers

I actually added the android Central governor thread to my readitlater app earlier, lol

tyrntlzrdking

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I just started using setCPU on my stock rooted phone. The only governor that will work is ondemand.
The part that confuses me is the " tweakable options" list for ondemand.
I have no idea how to use these settings, and wonder if I need to keep the "set on boot" checked all the time.

Last edited:

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site

tyrntlzrdking

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
On stock kernel I am running mms-dcvs...sometimes On Demand.

When I select mms-dcvs or any governor other than ondemand listed in SetCPU I get a page that says "The current governor, msm-dcvs, does not support this menu....."
2rh78sm.png

tyrntlzrdking

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
On a stock kernel there is very little tweaking available. Your kernel must support the tweaks.

Yes, I agree. I set a profile to watch my battery temperature. If it hits 100 degrees Fahrenheit it is supposed to lower the maximum MHz's.

I will probably select a new kernel that allows overclocking, underclocking and voltage adjustments in the near future so I can experiment.

tlrsax54

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
When I select mms-dcvs or any governor other than ondemand listed in SetCPU I get a page that says "The current governor, msm-dcvs, does not support this menu....."
http://i49.tinypic.com/2rh78sm.png

Reading one of your previous posts, I am under the impression you think that the message in the SetCPU screenshot means the governor doesn't work? If that's so...the governor works and you can use it, it's just not tweak-able, you just have to select it on the main screen and it's running. Personally I don't mess with tweaks too much ^^;

On Demand and msm-dcvs are both great, but On Demand jumps to max frequency for everything so I use msm-dcvs...

If you want to experiment, might I suggest ktoonz kernel? It comes with ktweaker app to handle all overclocking, governor and iso tweaks, and voltages...pretty nifty!

tyrntlzrdking

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
tlrsax54

I am saying that setCPU tells me the only governor that the stock kernel works with is ondemand.
(interactive, conservative and hotplug are not listed as options.

I will check out the ktoonz kernel. Thanks

Last edited:

tlrsax54

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
tlrsax54

I am saying that setCPU tells me the only governor that the stock kernel works with is ondemand.
(interactive, conservative and hotplug are not listed as options.

I will check out the ktoonz kernel. Thanks

That is not at all what it is saying, it clearly says the current governor "doesn't support this menu." That means two things :
1. That menu is to tweak the governor, not to SET the governor, and that MSM-DCVS doesn't support tweaks.
2. That menu shows you already have SET the governor to MSM-DCVS, selected and currently running, so it in fact does work :)

When you are on the first menu of SetCPU to set your values, below it will say "I/O" and "Governor", what ever is selected is what's running.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol