Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tkbredx
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Skunkape60's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    4,518 Posts

    Default TWRP Custom Recovery with EXFAT Support

    For those of you waiting for custom recovery that supports exfat this should make you all very happy. After bugging Dees_Troy for an exfat version of TWRP he finally post an img of TWRP2.3.2.3 with exfat support. So I made it into a flashable zip for all of you to enjoy. While this version does read and flash on exfat sdcards, it is missing one function that was on the earlier version. They had to remove the ability to move files on and off your phone through the usb cord while in recovery, so if you have files to remove or put onto your phone, you must do so before going into recovery. That, I feel is a small price to pay for exfat support.

    If you are happy that custom recovery has exfat support thank Dees_Troy

    And now for your flashing pleasure.
    Just move it to your internal or external sdcard and flash in your current custom recovery.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
    Thanked by 4:
  2. #2  
    Buddlespit's Avatar
    Wannabe kewl

    Posts
    674 Posts
    Global Posts
    675 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations TW-JB

    Default Re: TWRP Custom Recovery with EXFAT Support

    I don't believe 2.3.3.0 has exfat support. Or, I can't get the recovery to see the exfat. If I press the "mount" button, it'll mount and I can access from my computer, but pressing "Use external SD" will go right back to "Use internal storage" and the check box for Mount SD Card won't "check".

    If you want your recovery to support exfat, stick with 2.3.2.3.
    "I drank what!?!?!" ~Socrates
    "Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor." ~NASA, 1965
    New users, click here!!
    Sprint Sammy GS3 | MB1 | Wicked Sensations JB v2.1 | TWRP 2.4.3.0
  3. #3  
    Tkbredx's Avatar

    Posts
    1,856 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,857 Global Posts
    ROM
    TeamSonicFreeGS3 v9.1

    Default Re: TWRP Custom Recovery with EXFAT Support

    If I plan on getting a micro sd card will I have to fool around with all this exfat, mount, and all that other crap. I really only want to put music and videos on there.

    Was wondering which card to get for no issues and no changing exfat and stuff?
    mcasas likes this.
  4. #4  
    Buddlespit's Avatar
    Wannabe kewl

    Posts
    674 Posts
    Global Posts
    675 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations TW-JB

    Default Re: TWRP Custom Recovery with EXFAT Support

    any card under 32GB
    "I drank what!?!?!" ~Socrates
    "Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor." ~NASA, 1965
    New users, click here!!
    Sprint Sammy GS3 | MB1 | Wicked Sensations JB v2.1 | TWRP 2.4.3.0
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    Skunkape60's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    4,518 Posts

    Default Re: TWRP Custom Recovery with EXFAT Support

    Quote Originally Posted by Tkbredx View Post
    If I plan on getting a micro sd card will I have to fool around with all this exfat, mount, and all that other crap. I really only want to put music and videos on there.

    Was wondering which card to get for no issues and no changing exfat and stuff?
    All 64 gb cards come pre-formatted with exfat. This is the only recovery that will read it without re-formatting to fat32. The advantages with exfat is that it can handle files larger than 4gb in size. This recovery will read any card you stick in it, straight out of the box no formatting required.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    Skunkape60's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    4,518 Posts

    Default Re: TWRP Custom Recovery with EXFAT Support

    Quote Originally Posted by Buddlespit View Post
    I don't believe 2.3.3.0 has exfat support. Or, I can't get the recovery to see the exfat. If I press the "mount" button, it'll mount and I can access from my computer, but pressing "Use external SD" will go right back to "Use internal storage" and the check box for Mount SD Card won't "check".

    If you want your recovery to support exfat, stick with 2.3.2.3.
    No... TWRP 2.3.3.0 does not read exfat OnlyTWRP 2.3.2.3 reads exfat and this IS 2.3.2.3 ????? and it will see anything you stick in it.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
    Thanked by:
  7. #7  
    Tkbredx's Avatar

    Posts
    1,856 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,857 Global Posts
    ROM
    TeamSonicFreeGS3 v9.1

    Default Re: TWRP Custom Recovery with EXFAT Support

    Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    All 64 gb cards come pre-formatted with exfat. This is the only recovery that will read it without re-formatting to fat32. The advantages with exfat is that it can handle files larger than 4gb in size. This recovery will read any card you stick in it, straight out of the box no formatting required.
    Ah. I see. Well that's cool. Guess its time to get me a 64 gig. Which one do you have?

    One last question? Does this affect the kernel? I remember reading somewhere that some cards don't work with certain kernels.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  
    Skunkape60's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    4,518 Posts

    Default Re: TWRP Custom Recovery with EXFAT Support

    Quote Originally Posted by Tkbredx View Post
    Ah. I see. Well that's cool. Guess its time to get me a 64 gig. Which one do you have?

    One last question? Does this affect the kernel? I remember reading somewhere that some cards don't work with certain kernels.
    Nope... No issues with the kernel. I have a sandisk 64gb and its working great.

    One point is Odin and mobile Odin won't read the exfat file system. But that shouldn't effect anything because mobile Odin flashes things from your desktop. If your using mobile Odin just stick what you want to flash on the internal sd.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
    Thanked by 3:
  9. #9  

    Default Re: TWRP Custom Recovery with EXFAT Support

    Excellent...just installed v2.3.2.3 & backing up to 64Gb exFAT card now :-)
    Just got a Sprint Samsung GS3 with bad ESN, backing up before flashing to Virgin Mobile.
  10. #10  
    Buddlespit's Avatar
    Wannabe kewl

    Posts
    674 Posts
    Global Posts
    675 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations TW-JB

    Default Re: TWRP Custom Recovery with EXFAT Support

    Quote Originally Posted by Tkbredx View Post
    One last question? Does this affect the kernel? I remember reading somewhere that some cards don't work with certain kernels.
    It's not that some cards don't work with certain kernels, but that some kernels don't handle exfat. The only kernel that I'm aware of that works with exfat is the stock kernel.
    "I drank what!?!?!" ~Socrates
    "Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor." ~NASA, 1965
    New users, click here!!
    Sprint Sammy GS3 | MB1 | Wicked Sensations JB v2.1 | TWRP 2.4.3.0
    Thanked by:
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  
    Skunkape60's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    4,518 Posts

    Default Re: TWRP Custom Recovery with EXFAT Support

    Quote Originally Posted by Buddlespit View Post
    It's not that some cards don't work with certain kernels, but that some kernels don't handle exfat. The only kernel that I'm aware of that works with exfat is the stock kernel.
    I have to recall my statement there are some kernels that don't read exfat. The custom recovery on my gn2 reads it fine.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
  12. #12  

    Default Re: TWRP Custom Recovery with EXFAT Support

    Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    For those of you waiting for custom recovery that supports exfat this should make you all very happy. After bugging Dees_Troy for an exfat version of TWRP he finally post an img of TWRP2.3.2.3 with exfat support. So I made it into a flashable zip for all of you to enjoy. While this version does read and flash on exfat sdcards, it is missing one function that was on the earlier version. They had to remove the ability to move files on and off your phone through the usb cord while in recovery, so if you have files to remove or put onto your phone, you must do so before going into recovery. That, I feel is a small price to pay for exfat support.

    If you are happy that custom recovery has exfat support thank Dees_Troy

    And now for your flashing pleasure.
    Just move it to your internal or external sdcard and flash in your current custom recovery.

    Can I flash over the existing twrp that came over from goo manager??

Similar Threads

  1. [FIX]Black screen with custom recovery and custom roms
    By bigsupersquid in forum Optimus V Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 263
    Last Post: 10-11-2013, 02:56 PM
  2. custom recovery with dropbox support?
    By vernotzy21 in forum LG Optimus S Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-25-2012, 11:31 AM
  3. Need some help with the custom recovery
    By himynameismike in forum LG Optimus S Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 08-12-2011, 06:29 AM
  4. Help with custom recovery and rom!
    By wade70592 in forum LG Optimus S Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-10-2011, 10:31 PM
  5. Safe to update on optimus with custom recovery + root?
    By fristuff in forum LG Optimus S Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-17-2011, 06:08 PM

Posting Permissions

B