1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    HydroRom/Quattrimus-CM9

Default just got a GS3 for Christmas and now have a bunch of questions!

alright im sure these things get asked a million times and all that especially after these holidays, but i just upgraded from my little optimus s to this and its quite different

so basically, i want to know what the best versions of things i should get, i already read the sticky on how to root, seems simple enough, but i want to know what people assume are the best ROMs for this phone, as i really only know of the cyanogenmod roms and what not, and i know that its all relative to peoples own opinions and what not, i just need a heading to figure out what to start looking for and what not

also, which recovery is better? there seems to be a few options, i know theres twrp and cwm, figured id just go with cwm but i dunno
    and lastly kernels?

thanks for any help or direction guys, looking forward to messing with this beast!
    Last edited by therenegadenail; 12-25-2012 at 01:13 AM.
    Would You Kindly?...
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Default Re: just got a GS3 for Christmas and now have a bunch of questions!

I am sorry this is gonna be to the point, just on a smoke break. I like either the goodness rom or wicked sensation. Both are very similar, battery and a few other things have me stuck on wicked. It doesn't hurt that our advisor here is a big fan of it either.

Either recovery is fine, I kept with cwm because that is what I am used to.

I think the kernel maker is koontz or something close. He makes a great kernel.

There are a ton of options for roms and the community seems to all work together to make kickas# stuff but that will get you going

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

ROM
    HydroRom/Quattrimus-CM9

thank you man, i really appreciate it, im gonna go check them out now!
    Would You Kindly?...
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Have fun with the phone, I have had it for months but it still feels like I find something new all the time

Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Oh and check out the morphology society under themes, more options for the rom you choose

Retired Ambassador

I would suggest twrp over cwm any day off the week and twice on Sunday. It does everything cwm does and does them better.

Things that twrp does that cwm doesn't;

1. Buildt in file explorer.
    2. Has a version that reads exfat sd cards.
    3. Has a version that lets you move files from the phone to computer and computer to phone while in recovery.
    4. Can name or rename your backups on the fly while in recovery.
    5. Can make compressed backups.
    6. Keeps all your backup files together in single file and separate from other backups.

What cwm does that twrp twrp can't.

........... the sound of crickets chipping....

This is my opinion on roms.

As for roms... I dislike AOSP but dispise CyanogenMod. I was stuck with either of them for two years while on the nexus s4g and learned to hate CM. They would do shady things to try and force you to use only their kernels with there roms. Like constantly moving kernel files in different directories so that kernel developers had to work harder to make their kernels work with cm and aosp roms.

CM also strips all the extra features from the gs3 and turns it into a phone that hasn't got anything new in 2 years. While AOSP roms are not underhanded as cm they are just as boring and the gs3 losses functionality when on both of them.

I prefer Tw roms over either cm or aosp. Regardless of what you may have heard, they are just as fast and smooth as cm or aosp roms. I however do not like tw launcher. I use the nova launcher and the nova launcher paired with a tw (themed) Rom is a beautiful combination. It really makes the tw roms fly.

And yes everyone knows my rom of choice. I love themed roms. And none are themed as well as wicked sensations. It currently has 3 very different themes and more flashable options than any other rom I've seen. If you can't make it how you like it, you aren't trying very hard. Plus it is as stable a Rom that you will find and yes very fast right out of the box.

There are a lot of choices to choose from. Get rooted, settle in for a spell and start looking. You should find the gs3 a great device. Imo... You can't go wrong with this Samsung gs3.
    Last edited by Skunkape60; 12-25-2012 at 02:02 PM.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
    Thanked by 2:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

ROM
    HydroRom/Quattrimus-CM9

that was very informative skunkape, i think you may have swayed to try out twrp, and thats two for wicked sensations so thats goning to be my first rom to try out and i also love nova launcher so everything seems to be going that way haha

thank you very much for your opinion!
    Would You Kindly?...

ROM
    Whatever suits me

I prefer wicked sensations with the anakonda theme. Really smooth and looks real nice. Tried a few others but I always come back to this.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Used twrp today on my Nexus 7, will never use it again. Couldn't find my zip files to flash my rom on it for some reason and not a big fan of the interface

Went to cwm, found my rom zips, made a backup and flashed them perfectly

Sent from my quad core powered Google Nexus 7, because two cores wasn't enough to satisfy my Android hunger
    Android is a tune up sports car with custom interior, sound system, and IOS is a stock model benz

I use Android, because unlike IOS, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not infinitely cluttered homescreens

Global Posts
    1,857 Global Posts
    ROM
    TeamSonicFreeGS3 v9.1

Lots of good stuff here. Couldn't have put it any better.

Although I'm not on Wicked any more. I must say it is one of the most stable roms with awesome features and it is the best theming I've ever seen.

Right now I'm on the People's Rom another great rom available. Very smooth great Dev.

I recoommend Wicked (Sensations and Jelly Bomb) , FreeGS3, and The peoples rom. All great

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

I agree with Skunkape on all his points. I do, however, prefer Goodness for themed roms and the Morphology stuff gives you a lot more choices. Currently just have a rooted stock rom, just because i had forgotten what plain vanilla tastes like.

I used to hate twrp until recently. Some great rom management capabilities that cwm does not have.

Just some of my personal opinions.
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by jay28w View Post
    I agree with Skunkape on all his points. I do, however, prefer Goodness for themed roms and the Morphology stuff gives you a lot more choices. Currently just have a rooted stock rom, just because i had forgotten what plain vanilla tastes like.

I used to hate twrp until recently. Some great rom management capabilities that cwm does not have.

Just some of my personal opinions.
    Wicked Sensations also works well with the Morphology mods
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

That's the mix I am using... With some minor modifications.