Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

Default [How-To] [AOSP]Easily Enable Nav Bar

Hi guys, if you've ever seen the nav bar on the nexus line of phones, or in custom aosp ROMs you know what I'm talking about. If not basically what this does is enable onscreen buttons to use in place of your capacitive buttons at the bottom of your phone.

By default they are the back, home, and task manager buttons.

Warning: Always have a backup handy should something go wrong.

Step one: Root your s3, its mandatory.

Step two: Download a root file explorer with a built in text editor.

Step three: Using your root file explorer (after you grant su perms), navigate to the /system directory.

Step four: Look for a text file named build.prop and open it for editing.

Step five: Scroll to the bottom of your build.prop and add these lines

#Softkeys Mod
    qemu.hw.mainkeys=0

Then save and exit the file and reboot. You should now have an on screen nav bar.

Its as simple as that. There is already a thread as to how to disable the capacitive buttons functions as well as their backlights, so I won't mention how.

Just search for "how to disable capacitive buttons" or something similar to that and you'll be fine.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by gollum18; 01-11-2013 at 05:09 PM.
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

Please don't thank me unless I have helped you in some way, if you like my post then click like not thanks.

Check out my github @ https://github.com/gollum18 or My Android Applications @ http://lrdev.net76.net

Default Re: [How-To] Easily Enable Nav Bar

I'm glad people who want it have the option, but I'm not sure why I'd want to give up screen real estate for this. On an Oracle experience device, these are context sensitive., right? Will that be true when enabled on an S3?
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

Also aokp and PacMan roms support nav buttons in their settings

And there is also a universal stock keys file floating around

Sent from my Google Nexus 7 running aokp 4.1.2, because there is no PacMan rom for the nexus
    Android is a tune up sports car with custom interior, sound system, and IOS is a stock model benz

I use Android, because unlike IOS, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not infinitely cluttered homescreens

Heard cm10 is going to get the nav bar feature soon, bout time they caught up, lol

Sent from my Game Boy Advance....

Nah I'm just kidding, Sent from my SPH - L710 running Pac Man Rom 4.1.2, seeder and ktweaker kernel
    Android is a tune up sports car with custom interior, sound system, and IOS is a stock model benz

I use Android, because unlike IOS, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not infinitely cluttered homescreens
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

Quote Originally Posted by Soundtrack to Chaos View Post
    Also aokp and PacMan roms support nav buttons in their settings

And there is also a universal stock keys file floating around

Sent from my Google Nexus 7 running aokp 4.1.2, because there is no PacMan rom for the nexus
    The universal stock key is for an outdated version of the stock rom sadly it is incompatible with the latest lj7 release, trust me I know.

Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

Please don't thank me unless I have helped you in some way, if you like my post then click like not thanks.

Check out my github @ https://github.com/gollum18 or My Android Applications @ http://lrdev.net76.net
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I'm glad people who want it have the option, but I'm not sure why I'd want to give up screen real estate for this. On an Oracle experience device, these are context sensitive., right? Will that be true when enabled on an S3?
    Hmm the keys run throughout every app, for me I would like an option where they automatically disable when you're watching movies/videos or playing games.

Quote Originally Posted by gollum18 View Post
    The universal stock key is for an outdated version of the stock rom sadly it is incompatible with the latest lj7 release, trust me I know.

Really? I had mine working fine up till about November, when u switched to a rom in which I no longer needed it

I tried to enable the nav bar on the stock rooted jelly bean ROM and it didn't work. Does this only work on AOSP ROMS?
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

Quote Originally Posted by Paterick View Post
    I tried to enable the nav bar on the stock rooted jelly bean ROM and it didn't work. Does this only work on AOSP ROMS?
    That's what I thought. I was under the impression that it may work on stock but thanks for letting me know that it doesn't, I'll be updating the op.

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts

Default Re: [How-To] [AOSP]Easily Enable Nav Bar

Just so you guys know, Paranoid Android (the P in the PACman rom) includes it under the settings as well. Its as simple as checking a box. You then have the option for custom colors, additional actions, etc. You can also disable or change functions of the hardware keys, as well as disable the key backlight.
    Here are some screenshots to give you guys an idea:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails [How-To] [AOSP]Easily Enable Nav Bar-uploadfromtaptalk1358529028443.jpg   [How-To] [AOSP]Easily Enable Nav Bar-uploadfromtaptalk1358529042246.jpg   [How-To] [AOSP]Easily Enable Nav Bar-uploadfromtaptalk1358529056086.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by bp240 View Post
    Just so you guys know, Paranoid Android (the P in the PACman rom) includes it under the settings as well. Its as simple as checking a box. You then have the option for custom colors, additional actions, etc. You can also disable or change functions of the hardware keys, as well as disable the key backlight.
    Here are some screenshots to give you guys an idea:
    I used the Aokp nav bar when I was on that ROM

Sublime l anytime the system ui crashed or you rebooted the phone, the nav bar went back to the original white color

But now that I'm on Aokp, it doesn't do that anymore thank God

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Hi guys I'm using this on a Stock modded JB 4.1.2 custom rom, I have the nav bar enabled and it's showing, but is there a way to fix the systemui force close it does when I try to use the function keys on the nav bar?? Any help would be greatly appreciated...