Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: Touchwiz or AOSP (Cyanogenmod, AOKP, etc.)

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Touchwiz

5 83.33%
  • AOSP (Cyanogenmod, AOKP, etc.)

1 16.67%
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Buddlespit
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted

Question Do you prefer Touchwiz Roms or Stock based Roms?

So I've been using this phone since November of 2012 and i've found myself constantly going back and forth between TouchWiz and AOSP. I was just wanting to get the opinion of the rest of the community to see if anyone feels the same way I do. For some strange reason, I feel better using the Galaxy S3 with touchwiz. I used AOKP for a couple of months, but when I was using that interface, it just didn't feel "right" to me. Kinda hard to explain. Anyway, I would love to hear your reasons for picking one over the other, what killer thing you can't live without, or even why you don't care. I'm down for any conversation.
    Did I help you at all? Return the favor by giving me a "thanks"
    LG Rumor -> LG Rumor Touch -> LG Optimus S (Cyanogenmod 7.2 on 2.3.5) -> Samsung Galaxy S3 (MK3 Barebones on 4.3) -> LG Nexus 5 (Carbon Nightlies on 4.4.2)

ROM
    Rooted Jellybean, CM 7.2

Default Re: Do you prefer Touchwiz Roms or Stock based Roms?

I prefer the stock because everything works

I definitely need root though with all the tweaking I like to do

I don't use much of the touchwiz interface though as I loaded SPB Shell 3D on my phone - VERY killer launcher/app manager
    Soylent Green Is People!
    Sprint - Samsung Galaxy S3 --- Rooted, Tweaked, & Obfuscated
    Jellybomb Domination 20.7.0 with all bloat removed - Philz Touch Recovery 6.0
    KToons 11/4/13 TW Kernel -- MK3 Modem/Radio -- PRL 25016

Global Posts
    6,886 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations

Personally I usually go with the TouchWiz based ROMs as I can't make a call with my BT headset with AOSP. My favorite ROM to date has been Wicked Sensations (Team Venum) but I just installed Darth Stalker today and so far so good (version 9). I use Nova Launcher Prime, so I don't see much of TouchWiz per se. I've tried Serenity 1.2, JellyBam, Paranoid Android...which incidentally I liked, but due to the BT issue, I removed it. I find the AOSP/CM10 style ROMs have a better selection of ringtones, but not what you'd call a deal breaker for me. Supposedly the DSv9 has a pretty good battery life, I am about to put it through the Ingress ringers and see what kind of longevity it will have, ie WiFi, Data 4G, BT, GPS, Ingress on, Screen on max and 10m duration. Never that big of a deal, most portals are too far away from me, so I have a car charger handy, and a 6600mA boost block, but I'd stll like to know what it can handle. Time of test started at 5PM.
    Looks like I left Auto Rotate, and Auto Sync on as well when I started it. 10 minutes in and I've lost 4%....if that continues at a steady rate...I should be able to get 4 hours, I was barely getting 3 before without AR & AS on.

Kuban Updater was a nice little add on with TV WickSens ROM, and I see DS has ROM Toolbox and some extra 4.2 apps included. Supposedly it puts the Project Butter in it's place, has 5x5 launcher, endless wrap around, and more features I've yet to discover.

I did try out SPB shell but there were some things that I couldn't change that I didn't like, so I asked for my $15 back. I think one of them was Picasa which I don't use.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Wannabe kewl

Global Posts
    675 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations TW-JB

I found your poll title a little confusing. TW roms are stock based, AOSP roms are source built and are considered original developement (apparently, even if kanged).

I prefer the tw based roms (Wicked Sensations esp.) because everything works. I've always been confused with AOSP's insistence in re-inventing the wheel when it comes to drivers. Samsung released the drivers and kernel. There is absolutely no reason to re-write the drivers unless you've moved beyond the Samsung release (ie- tw is 4.1.1, AOSP is 4.1.2 or 4.2). One developer that I know uses the Google source for the rom and kernel, but samsungs drivers for the hardware. Or, I should say, he did. I haven't seen anything about his development since I had my account deleted/ removed from his personal forums.
    "I drank what!?!?!" ~Socrates
    "Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor." ~NASA, 1965
    New users, click here!!
    Sprint Sammy GS3 | MB1 | Wicked Sensations JB v2.1 | TWRP 2.4.3.0

Global Posts
    1,857 Global Posts
    ROM
    TeamSonicFreeGS3 v9.1

Touch Wiz. Aosp doesn't have cool features like us

Touchwiz for sure. Out of all the ROMS that I have tried, the stock is the best. They are also the less buggy.
    How do we know we are not brains in a V.A T.S ?
    Retired Ambassador

Is this a trick question.... Do I really need to answer this.? TW hands down... But I run Nova launcher...
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif