Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Switching roms?

How to i go about switching roms on my phone. I have the most recent JellyBam rom with android 4.1.2. I want to get the wicked sensations rom!

second question, is there an actual rom that helps get better reception or 3g. if possible

Thanks!
    Wannabe kewl

Global Posts
    675 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations TW-JB

Default Re: Switching roms?

First, you make a nandroid backup of the current rom you're running, just in case you screw something up. This is done in your recovery. Then you just flash the new rom while you're in that same recovery, just like when you installed JellyBam.
    "I drank what!?!?!" ~Socrates
    "Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor." ~NASA, 1965
    New users, click here!!
    Sprint Sammy GS3 | MB1 | Wicked Sensations JB v2.1 | TWRP 2.4.3.0
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

how do i do the nandroid backup? Im using CWM

Click on backup in recovery mode

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    Nexus 5-Galaxy S3-iphone 4-iphone 3-original iphone
    Wannabe kewl

Global Posts
    675 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations TW-JB

Hmmmm.... I haven't used CWM for such a very long time, I'm having issues trying to remember how again. I'm sure that if you go into your recovery and and look around, there will be an option to make a backup. Of course, you can go back into the thread that gave you the recovery and read up on all of it's options, plus they may have screenshots.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that someone else rooted and rom'ed your phone for you. If that's the case, before you go and change things up, you should read, read, read... then read some more. You can very easily turn your really expensive toy into a useless brick if you go and do something that you shouldn't. The link in my signature says it all...
    "I drank what!?!?!" ~Socrates
    "Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor." ~NASA, 1965
    New users, click here!!
    Sprint Sammy GS3 | MB1 | Wicked Sensations JB v2.1 | TWRP 2.4.3.0
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

thanks! and I rooted my phone, i just wasnt sure how to switch, and never backed up my stuff lol

Quote Originally Posted by hesster View Post
    How to i go about switching roms on my phone. I have the most recent JellyBam rom with android 4.1.2. I want to get the wicked sensations rom!

second question, is there an actual rom that helps get better reception or 3g. if possible

Thanks!
    How is jellybam? I've been considering it as my next ROM

Sent from yo moms house son!😎😎Using my SPH - L710 running AOKP Rom 4.1.2, now initiating Swagger

thanks! and I rooted my phone, i just wasnt sure how to switch, and never backed up my stuff lol
    Very dangerous

But you can get away with it as long as you keep other ROMs on your SD card just in case

Sent from yo moms house son!😎😎Using my SPH - L710 running AOKP Rom 4.1.2, now initiating Swagger
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Jellybam isn't bad...during the boot sequence you get a video and mine repeatedly clashed white...just hit the home button n it should be OK. It doesn't show you when you get a voicemail and youtube doesn't go full screen..other than that its pretty nice

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Jellybam isn't bad...during the boot sequence you get a video and mine repeatedly clashed white...just hit the home button n it should be OK. It doesn't show you when you get a voicemail and youtube doesn't go full screen..other than that its pretty nice

Hmm, seems good, what do you mean about the boot video, does it freeze or crash?

Sent from an orange potato......no, really

The only thing I can suggest regarding the reception you could try flashing but different radio file. Sometimes the older radio files work better I'm particular devices I would just recommend switching it up and see what works best for you and your device.

12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by Soundtrack to Chaos View Post
    Hmm, seems good, what do you mean about the boot video, does it freeze or crash?

sorry so late response but it just flashes and does nothing until you hit the home button.
    Thanked by:

sorry so late response but it just flashes and does nothing until you hit the home button.
    Oh ok, thanks

Hey I know I'm a bit late to the party here, but I just wanted to add that it's a a bad idea to swap ROMs before factory resetting as well as wiping cache and dalvik cache. This is called clean flashing.
    I highly recommend Titanium backup to backup and restore app data and phone settings. So you dont lose your text history or angry birds progress.
    My flashing to do list is something like:
    Make sure my apps are up to date
    Back everything up with Titanium backup
    Make a nandroid
    Wipe caches
    Factory reset/clear data
    Flash ROM
    Flash Gapps if necessary
    Reboot
    Get Titanium backup from the play store
    Restore user apps from TB
    (alternatively you could use a recovery zip made by titanium backup to just flash all your apps back onto the phone through recovery. Just make sure to boot the rom up at least once before going back into recovery to flash the apps)
    Note: If you're flashing to a different version of the same ROM, you might get away without factory resetting. (dirty flashing) devs will usually tell you when they release an update where dirty flashing is no bueno.
    Thanked by: