Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pilgrymm
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

Default Bricked S3, can't get Odin to flash anything

Hi. I may be freaking out here a little bit. I just tried to root my Sprint S3 using Odin, and now it's stuck, I can get back to the Odin Downloading screen, but it won't let me flash anything over. Just keeps failing. I don't care if I lose everything, I need this back up asap. I don't care if it never gets rooted, I just need my phone for work.

(was just hoping to get wifi for my tablet while I'm out in the field...)

Is there something special that needs to be done to root a Sprint GS3? Most all the help I see is for the Verizon model.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Default Re: Bricked S3, can't get Odin to flash anything

Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrymm View Post
    Hi. I may be freaking out here a little bit. I just tried to root my Sprint S3 using Odin, and now it's stuck, I can get back to the Odin Downloading screen, but it won't let me flash anything over. Just keeps failing. I don't care if I lose everything, I need this back up asap. I don't care if it never gets rooted, I just need my phone for work.

(was just hoping to get wifi for my tablet while I'm out in the field...)

Is there something special that needs to be done to root a Sprint GS3? Most all the help I see is for the Verizon model.
    Try rebooting your PC and using a Different USB port
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

As for the USB ports, I've tried several. Haven't tried rebooting yet though, I'll do that in a few. Currently downloading the stock Samsung UI off their site. I accidentally ran a Verizon copy and I don't know what it wiped before failing, so I'm going to flash to the stock then try to root again I guess. Does it require having USB debugging turned on? Because I think I forgot to do that.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

As for the USB ports, I've tried several. Haven't tried rebooting yet though, I'll do that in a few. Currently downloading the stock Samsung UI off their site. I accidentally ran a Verizon copy and I don't know what it wiped before failing, so I'm going to flash to the stock then try to root again I guess. Does it require having USB debugging turned on? Because I think I forgot to do that.
    wow flashing a wrong file is a no no....
    Samsung does not supply files to flash via odin so i do not know what you are downloading.
    if odin is assigning your device a port then you should be ok without debugging
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

Believe it or not, I was able to re-flash with a Samsung copy meant for Kies, with Odin. Odin can do .md5 files. I have it back into android now, and I will try and root again here in a few. I am issuing a huge PHEW.

These:

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Believe it or not, I was able to re-flash with a Samsung copy meant for Kies, with Odin. Odin can do .md5 files. I have it back into android now, and I will try and root again here in a few. I am issuing a huge PHEW.

These:
    congrats, good to know , i have always dealt with verizon devices so i didnt know that about kies software but good to know.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

Awesome. Well I was able to get everything fixed, then I followed the root guide here and voila! Thanks everyone, I can always count on android users.
    DroidXcon likes this.

Didn't really look very hard, did you? One of the stickies at the top of this very forum is the best, most simple guide to rooting a Spring GS3 you'll find. Be sure to thank Skunkape when you're done.

[GUIDE] UPDATED: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3