[GLOSSARY] Common Android hacking terms defined! Read before asking questions.

TigerDave99

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
As I've been perusing these forums over the past few years, I constantly come across new terms that are unknown to me and therefore I have to spend time figuring out what it means. Since I've done some minor technical writing on & off over the years, I thought it might help if we had a glossary or reference as it relates to "Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks" in this Sprint Galaxy S3 sub-forum.

Here's a list of what I gathered so far. If you'd like to see something added or corrected, just reply below and I'll update this post. Maybe mods can make this a sticky???

I truly hope this cuts down on the number of questions being asked repeatedly and I hope it helps everyone -- especially the newcomers!

Special thanks goes out to Skunkape60 for providing many of the definitions!

ARM - The ARM architecture describes a family of RISC-based computer processors designed and licensed by British company ARM Holdings. It was first developed in the 1980s and globally as of 2013 is the most widely used 32-bit instruction set architecture in terms of quantity produced.According to ARM Holdings, in 2010 alone, producers of chips based on ARM architectures reported shipments of 6.1 billion ARM-based processors, representing 95% of smartphones, 35% of digital televisions and set-top boxes, and 10% of mobile computers.

As an IP core business, ARM Holdings itself does not manufacture its own electronic chips, but licenses its designs to other semiconductor manufacturers. ARM-based processors and systems on a chip include the Qualcomm Snapdragon, nVidia Tegra, Intel/Marvell Xscale and Texas Instruments OMAP, as well as ARM's Cortex series and Apple System on Chips (used in its iPhones). The name was originally an acronym for Advanced RISC Machine, and in its early days Acorn RISC Machine.

Using a RISC based approach to computer design, ARM processors require significantly fewer transistors than processors that would typically be found in a traditional computer. The benefits of this approach are lower costs, less heat, and less power usage, traits that are desirable for use in light, portable, battery-powered devices such as smart phones and tablet computers. The reduced complexity and simpler design allows companies to build a low-energy system on a chip for an embedded system incorporating memory, interfaces, radios, etc. The earliest example was the Apple Newton tablet but this same approach is still used in the Apple A4 and A5 chips in the iPad. (See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_architecture)

Baseband - The cellular modem firmware that is on your phone. The purpose of baseband upgrades is to improve the functionality of the cellular modem and also to keep the device locked to the intended carrier (e.g. AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, etc.). To locate your phone's baseband version, tap Settings > About Device.

Build – Version of the ROM installed on the phone. To locate your phone's build number, tap Settings > About Device.

CWM (ClockWork Mod) – a popular custom recovery for Android phones and tablets. It allows you to perform several advanced recovery, restoration, installation and maintenance operations on your Android device that aren’t possible with the stock recovery, and is one of the most common ways used to gain root access, back up device data, install custom ROMs, kernels, themes & mods, and more. (See: What Is ClockworkMod Recovery And How To Use It On Android [Complete Guide])

Dalvik Cache - Writable cache that contains the optimized bytecode of all apk files (apps) on your Android device. Having the information in its own cache makes applications load faster and perform better.

Deodex - See: Odex / Deodex below.

Download Mode – Putting your device into Download Mode will allow you to install a custom recovery like “CWM” or “TWRP”. This is achieved by pressing and holding "volume down, power button and the (physical) home button simultaneously. You will continue to hold all 3 buttons until you see a warning. Then press the volume up button and you will be in download mode.

Firmware – Firmware is software that is embedded in a piece of hardware. You can think of firmware simply as "software for hardware." Devices that you might think of as strictly hardware such as optical drives, a network card, a router, or a cell phone all have software that is programmed into special memory contained in the hardware itself. The firmware contained in these devices provides the control program for the device. Firmware is held in non-volatile memory devices such as ROM, EPROM, or flash memory. Changing the firmware of a device may rarely or never be done during its economic lifetime; some firmware memory devices are permanently installed and cannot be changed after manufacture. Common reasons for updating firmware include fixing bugs or adding features to the device.

Flash – The act of installing firmware on a device.

GApps - The Google Apps (or GApps as they are commonly referred to) are the proprietary applications by Google included in many Android devices. Most of the applications can now be found and updated via the Google Play Store. Some of the apps include the Google Play Store itself, Google Talk, Google Sync (for adding and synchronizing Google accounts), Google Backup Transport, Car Home, Gmail, Google Maps, YouTube, Google Search, Google Voice Search, Google Music, and Google Docs. (Credit: Google Apps - RootzWiki)

GooManager - For rooted devices only. GooManager is a front-end for the popular free Android file hosting site, Goo.im (formerly Goo-Inside.me). It allows for downloads of ROMs, Google Apps packages, kernels, apps, and any other file available via the website. Update notifcations are available for ROMs and Google Apps packages. (See: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=com.s0up.goomanager&hl=en&token=2F9ubL4o)

JB / Jelly Bean - The name given to Android versions 4.1 - 4.2. To locate your phone's Android version, tap Settings > About Device.

Kernel – When software needs the hardware to do anything, it sends a request to the kernel. And when we say anything, we mean anything. From the brightness of the screen, to the volume level, to initiating a call through the radio, even what's drawn on the display is ultimately controlled by the kernel. Android devices use the Linux kernel, but it's not the exact same kernel other Linux-based operating systems use. There's a lot of Android specific code built in, and Google's Android kernel maintainers have their work cut out for them. To locate your phone's Kernel version, tap Settings > About Device. (See: Android A to Z: What is a kernel? | Android Central)

LJ7 – Refers to the last 3 digits of the phone’s build and/or baseband. The release date is decoded as follows: L = year (2012), J = month (10 or October), 7 = day (the 7th). Therefore “2012 OCT 7”.

MA6 – Refers to the last 3 digits of the phone’s build and/or baseband. The release date is decoded as follows: M = year (2013), A = month (1 or January), 6 = day (the 6th). Therefore “2013 JAN 6”.

MB1 – Refers to the last 3 digits of the phone’s build and/or baseband. The release date is decoded as follows: M = year (2013), B = month (2 or February), 1 = day (the 1st). Therefore “2013 FEB 1”.

MD4 – Refers to the last 3 digits of the phone’s build and/or baseband. The release date is decoded as follows: M = year (2013), D = month (4 or April), 4 = day (the 4th). Therefore “2013 APR 4”.

MK3 – Refers to the last 3 digits of the phone’s build and/or baseband. The release date is decoded as follows: M = year (2013), D = month (11 or November), 3 = day (the 3rd). Therefore “2013 NOV 3”.

NEON - The ARM? NEON™ general-purpose SIMD engine (instruction set) efficiently processes current and future multimedia formats, enhancing the user experience. NEON technology can accelerate multimedia and signal processing algorithms such as video encode/decode, 2D/3D graphics, gaming, audio and speech processing, image processing, telephony, and sound synthesis by at least 3x the performance of ARMv5 and at least 2x the performance of ARMv6 SIMD.Cleanly architected NEON technology works seamlessly with its own independent pipeline and register file.

NEON technology is a 128-bit SIMD (Single Instruction, Multiple Data) architecture extension for the ARM Cortex™-A series processors, designed to provide flexible and powerful acceleration for consumer multimedia applications, delivering a significantly enhanced user experience. The ARM Cortex™-A series processors with NEON technology, as well as ARM's Mali multimedia hardware solutions are used in multimedia applications ranging from smartphones and mobile computing devices to HDTV. (See: NEON - ARM)

Odex / Deodex - Stock Android implements an odex file structure, with odex meaning “optimized” dalvik executable file. As your likely aware, Android apps on your device are packaged as .apk files. That all being said, what this means is that for pretty much all of your apks there is a corresponding odex file. This goes for the framework files in .jar format as well. The odexed file structure works well as an optimization tool, except for in the case of theming. Odexed apps and frameworks present a unique problem to those wanting to theme because the aspect they want to theme is broken up into two files. Typically theming involves swapping out images for home made ones, however this is simply impossible in an Odexed environment. The solution is to DeOdex the file system and reunite all of the uncompressed critical data of an app or framework back into the compressed .apk or .jar file. Skunkape60 says: "Most mods require a deodexed ROM. If you plan on installing any mods then deodexed is best. If not then odexed is the way to go." (See: What do “Odex” and “Deodex” mean? The All Inclusive Explanation | TalkAndroid.com)

Odin – A Windows program used for flashing firmware onto phones or other devices.

Recovery / Recovery Mode - A small separate operating mode you can boot your device into, used for device administration. Your phone comes with a “stock recovery” installed at the factory. Two popular “custom recovery” modes are “CWM” and “TWRP”. For the Galaxy S3, Recovery mode is achieved pressing and holding "volume UP, power button and the (physical) home button simultaneously. Watching the screen closely, release all 3 buttons as soon as you see the word Samsung. If timed correctly it will boot into recovery in about 10-20 seconds (after releasing). Remember if you are too early or late the phone will boot normally and skip recovery.

ROM (Read Only Memory) - A stock ROM is the version of the phone's operating system that comes with your phone when you buy it. A custom ROM is a fully standalone version of the OS, including the kernel, apps, services, etc - everything you need to operate the device, except it's customized by someone in some way.

Root - Getting root or rooting your phone is the process of modifying the operating system that shipped with your device to grant you complete control over it. This means you can overcome limitations that the carriers and manufacturers put on your phone, extend system functionality, and even upgrade it to a custom flavor of Android. The name root comes from the Linux operating system world, where the most privileged user on the system (otherwise known as Administrator on Windows) is called root. (See: [Updated] Rooting Explained + Top 5 Benefits Of Rooting Your Android Phone)

Stock – From the factory. When you buy your phone new, directly from your provider (Verizon, Sprint, etc.) everything on it is considered “stock”.

SuperSU - An application you download and install from the Play Store. It allows for advanced management of Superuser access rights for all the apps on your device that need root. SuperSU has been built from the ground up to counter a number of problems with other Superuser access management tools. (See: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...mV1LmNoYWluZmlyZS5zdXBlcnN1Il0&token=GvbqotKD.)

SuperUser (the term) - The superuser is a special user account used for system administration. Depending on the operating system, the actual name of this account might be: root, administrator, admin or supervisor. In some cases the actual name is not significant, rather an authorization flag in the user's profile determines if administrative functions can be performed. In operating systems which have the concept of a superuser, it is generally recommended that most application work be done using an ordinary account which does not have the ability to make system-wide changes.

SuperUser (the application)- An application you download and install from the Play Store where you can grant and manage Superuser rights for your phone. This app requires that you already have root, or a custom recovery image to work. (See: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...Lm5vc2h1Zm91LmFuZHJvaWQuc3UiXQ&token=8t_75R9T..)

Tether - Allows sharing the Internet connection of the phone or tablet with other devices such as laptops.

TB / Titanium Backup - A powerful utility you download and install from the Play Store. It requires that your phone be rooted. You can backup, restore, freeze your apps + data + Market links. This includes all protected apps & system apps, plus external data on your SD card. You can do 0-click batch & scheduled backups. Backups will operate without closing any apps. You can move any app (or app data) to/from the SD card. You can browse any app's data and even query the Market to see detailed information about the app. (See: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...d=com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup&token=1Vgt5Kn6)

TWRP (TeamWin Recovery Project”) – A custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. (See: TeamWin Projects - TWRP 2.4 - | TeamWin)

For lots more, visit the Android Glossary! :)
The Android Dictionary | Android Central

Last edited:

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Under Baseband, switch iPhone to Phone or Android please.

Sent from my HTC Vivid WCX using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Done. Good catch. Still ironing out some minor kinks and typos.

So far, I'm impressed. This guide is really convienent and I think I should make one for HTC.

Thanks for using your time to help others. :)

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Good job! Nice and informative. I especially like the recovery section and how to get your phone into recovery mode. It's word for word identical to what's in my rooting guide. ;)

But seriously, you did a great job on this and I will try and get it added to the stickied posts.

TigerDave99

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Good job! Nice and informative. I especially like the recovery section and how to get your phone into recovery mode. It's word for word identical to what's in my rooting guide. ;)

But seriously, you did a great job on this and I will try and get it added to the stickied posts.

Thanks. No point in reinventing the wheel, eh?
Just added Titanium Backup, SuperSU, and SuperUser.

TigerDave99

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Just added:
ARM, NEON, ODEX/DEODEX, and shout-out to Skunkape60 for all his hard work!
More to follow when time permits.
Now, we just need to make this a Sticky!

adlebo

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
Good thread! Quick question, so to flash a custom rom you need to be deodexed, correct? So does the rom flashing in itself "deodexed you" or do you need to first do a "deodexing" process before?

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Good thread! Quick question, so to flash a custom rom you need to be deodexed, correct? So does the rom flashing in itself "deodexed you" or do you need to first do a "deodexing" process before?

You don't need to be.

Deodexed and Odexed are two different ways the system apps are installed.

Deodexed: Just the apk
Odexed: Part of the apk and something called an .Odex file is installed.

They each have their advantages and disadvantages.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
HEY SITE ADMINISTRATORS!!!!! Make this a Sticky!!!!

Very informative, wish this thread would have been around when I started messing around with rooting and flashing ROMs. I didn't learn much from the terms, but I did learn that the last three characters in the build are date codes.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm considering making a thread like this for all of us to post what we consider to be our most important apps for rooted users, not just the typical rom toolbox and titanium backup etc, but like other apps like ram free, data sync, and others that utilize root to help users who don't know about them as well as show veterans some new apps

Anyone think it would be a good idea?

Sent from my SPH-L710 running Liquid Smooth RC2 4.2.2

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm considering making a thread like this for all of us to post what we consider to be our most important apps for rooted users, not just the typical rom toolbox and titanium backup etc, but like other apps like ram free, data sync, and others that utilize root to help users who don't know about them as well as show veterans some new apps

Anyone think it would be a good idea?

We had something started along these lines back a long time ago but it never really got off the ground...

But your welcome to try and if it gets enough push to shove behind it we can review it at a later date and see what we can do with making it more presentable to the members :D

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
We had something started along these lines back a long time ago but it never really got off the ground...

But your welcome to try and if it gets enough push to shove behind it we can review it at a later date and see what we can do with making it more presentable to the members :D

Ok, kool, think I'll give it a try, first have to figure out what apps should be on the list, then make descriptions and links and possibly screenshot

Hopefully I'll have some time this week or next to get started

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey