hack/rom data base?

NJallDAY

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Yep, that's what Android does now. Began with ICS, I think. It's called MTP. Mass storage mode is gone. You can still use it to copy files back and forth between a computer and the phone, though.

Yep, Wicked is a good one, as is MOAR. Both offer so much customization you can make them look pretty much however you want.

i put a post on a linux forum to see if any one can lend some help. im so close to getting it to mount that i have to see this through.

it took a while to download the file but im ready to flash i now. while i was waiting i saw a mod to turn off the auto screen on when you receive a text but it didnt have instructions. does everything get flashed the same way? and i used nandroid to back up but i wasnt sure where to save it to so i just started the back up with out changing the save location. ive tried to read up on these things but some of it uses terms i just dont understand at the moment...

seanskiT1

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
it took a while to download the file but im ready to flash i now. while i was waiting i saw a mod to turn off the auto screen on when you receive a text but it didnt have instructions. does everything get flashed the same way? and i used nandroid to back up but i wasnt sure where to save it to so i just started the back up with out changing the save location. ive tried to read up on these things but some of it uses terms i just dont understand at the moment...

Yes you flash the same way. But with a ROM I highly recommend doing factory reset then wipe cache & dalvik. Then flash ROM.

Sent from my GS3 sporting Wicked Sensations...

NJallDAY

May 21, 2013
Visit site
one last set of questions and i think im good to go..
after i download my rom of choice im going to plug my phone into my computer and drop the file to the root of my external sd card?
I was reading the how to flash stickie, so ill just follow the steps for flashing in custom recovery?
I was also reading the all the replies and it seems your not able to restore your apps, contacts etc once you flash the mod? i can deal with re downloading some apps but i really cant afford to lose my contacts and some other info i have stored in note pad/ checklist apps that i use at work daily... or am i miss understanding this completly?

seanskiT1

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
one last set of questions and i think im good to go..
after i download my rom of choice im going to plug my phone into my computer and drop the file to the root of my external sd card?
I was reading the how to flash stickie, so ill just follow the steps for flashing in custom recovery?
I was also reading the all the replies and it seems your not able to restore your apps, contacts etc once you flash the mod? i can deal with re downloading some apps but i really cant afford to lose my contacts and some other info i have stored in note pad/ checklist apps that i use at work daily... or am i miss understanding this completly?

If you have your contacts stored as a google contact, then they will restore once you log back in. Since you are rooted you can get titanium backup from the playstore. With TB you can back your apps and thier data then restore you are rebooted and have TB back on the phone.

NJallDAY

May 21, 2013
Visit site
If you have your contacts stored as a google contact, then they will restore once you log back in. Since you are rooted you can get titanium backup from the playstore. With TB you can back your apps and thier data then restore you are rebooted and have TB back on the phone.

thats great news my friend! i have nandriod installed already, will these two apps clash with each other? and with when you back up while in recovery mode is that going to use tb or should i back up before boot to revovery mode? so much for last set of questions... sorry lol

seanskiT1

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
thats great news my friend! i have nandriod installed already, will these two apps clash with each other? and with when you back up while in recovery mode is that going to use tb or should i back up before boot to revovery mode? so much for last set of questions... sorry lol

No they won't clash. With tb you need to back up apps you've downloaded before booting to recovery. Once in recovery you can make a back up of everything. And if by some chance there is a problem after flashing then you can go to recovery and restore to the way it is now.

NJallDAY

May 21, 2013
Visit site
No they won't clash. With tb you need to back up apps you've downloaded before booting to recovery. Once in recovery you can make a back up of everything. And if by some chance there is a problem after flashing then you can go to recovery and restore to the way it is now.

ok cool. Thanks for the help everyone

Posted via Android Central App

Ramer84015

May 15, 2010
Visit site
ok cool. Thanks for the help everyone

Another good thing about your nanoid backup is that it is a complete backup of your phone in the state it's in at the time of the backup. That includes installed apps, contacts etc.The only thing it won't include is the contents of an extSD card. But that should only have media files on it anyway (and if you're like me, those are backed up on my PC hard drive anyway)

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Wait, NJallDAY, one question. You say you have nandroid installed? You don't need to install any app to create a nandroid backup. CWM and TWRP recovery have this feature built in, and you should use that to create a nandroid, not some app from the Play store.

rick_evelyn

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Just wonderin does anybody know of I could an energizer charging mat to charge a galaxy s3 my charge port is bad

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

NJallDAY

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Wait, NJallDAY, one question. You say you have nandroid installed? You don't need to install any app to create a nandroid backup. CWM and TWRP recovery have this feature built in, and you should use that to create a nandroid, not some app from the Play store.

Its called online nandroid backup.... i uninstalled it and put titainium in its place.

So i should be doing a titanium backup before i boot into recovery and then another backup from within recovery, clear data, flash rom, re boot and then restore the titanium back up? Because i read that doing that is the same as not clearing all the data before you flash since your just puttinf back on. Just getting a little confused lol

Last edited:

NJallDAY

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Just wonderin does anybody know of I could an energizer charging mat to charge a galaxy s3 my charge port is bad

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Yes but along with purchasing the charging mat you will most likely need to purchase a QI charging receiver to go over your battery, unless you find a kit that comes with the receiver. some phones come compatible right out of the box but unfortunately the s3 is not one of those phones. You should do some more research or at least browse amazon or google shopping but Heres a link to a receiver that fits the s3...
Amazon.com: Samsung Galaxy S3 S i9300 QI Standard Wireless Charger Charging Receiver Tag -White: Cell Phones & Accessories

Ramer84015

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Its called online nandroid backup.... i uninstalled it and put titainium in its place.

So i should be doing a titanium backup before i boot into recovery and then another backup from within recovery, clear data, flash rom, re boot and then restore the titanium back up? Because i read that doing that is the same as not clearing all the data before you flash since your just puttinf back on. Just getting a little confused lol

I've looked at Nanoid Backup. You're better off to do you nanoid backup from within recovery. Which custom recovery are you using, TWRP or CWM? I haven't used CWM in a long time, but with TWRP, you simply go into recovery mode and TWRP presents you with 6 or 8 buttons. One is Backup and another is Restore. Press Backup and the next screen (read it over), gives you some options, like what to backup (I check all of them, including cache and recovery). Note where it will backup to (internal or external SD) and change as appropriate. Backups can be large depending on how many apps you have installed. I keep the latest backup on my phone and transfer the previous backup to my PC, just in case. One of the other buttons in TWRP is Install, that's were you install any roms or mods that are of the .zip variety. Another button in TWRP is Wipe. Before installing a new rom, it's always best to do a Factory Reset, wipe cache and davik cache. Depending on the rom you install and the rom developer's instructions, sometimes you can update the rom you have installed by doing what's called a dirty flash, that's just wiping cache and davik cache without the Factory Reset. Again, that's at the discretion of the rom developer and even then a factory reset will result in better results if your phone starts to act flaky.

On the subject of Titanium Backup, yes, you should backup apps first, it's like an added layer of protection and after a factory reset, it's a good way to restore your apps plus the data stored with the apps. If you choose to let Google restore apps after a factory reset (which some people say is the way you should), you won't have any saved data with the app. You can though, restore data only from Titanium Backup to get data back. Another great feature of TB is the ability to create an "update.zip" file of all your apps and data and flash that right along with your rom (TWRP allows you to install multiple .zip files, one after the other). That way, when you reboot, all your apps are already back. I've been told that unless you have the paid version of Titanium Backup, you are prompted with an Install Y/N prompt after each app. I have the paid version, so can't speak for certain.

Last subject, assuming you haven't installed a rom yet. The first boot may take as much as 15 minutes to boot up (It may take 2 hours if you stare at the screen :) ). Be patient, I walk away for awhile.

NJallDAY

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I've looked at Nanoid Backup. You're better off to do you nanoid backup from within recovery. Which custom recovery are you using, TWRP or CWM? I haven't used CWM in a long time, but with TWRP, you simply go into recovery mode and TWRP presents you with 6 or 8 buttons. One is Backup and another is Restore. Press Backup and the next screen (read it over), gives you some options, like what to backup (I check all of them, including cache and recovery). Note where it will backup to (internal or external SD) and change as appropriate. Backups can be large depending on how many apps you have installed. I keep the latest backup on my phone and transfer the previous backup to my PC, just in case. One of the other buttons in TWRP is Install, that's were you install any roms or mods that are of the .zip variety. Another button in TWRP is Wipe. Before installing a new rom, it's always best to do a Factory Reset, wipe cache and davik cache. Depending on the rom you install and the rom developer's instructions, sometimes you can update the rom you have installed by doing what's called a dirty flash, that's just wiping cache and davik cache without the Factory Reset. Again, that's at the discretion of the rom developer and even then a factory reset will result in better results if your phone starts to act flaky.

On the subject of Titanium Backup, yes, you should backup apps first, it's like an added layer of protection and after a factory reset, it's a good way to restore your apps plus the data stored with the apps. If you choose to let Google restore apps after a factory reset (which some people say is the way you should), you won't have any saved data with the app. You can though, restore data only from Titanium Backup to get data back. Another great feature of TB is the ability to create an "update.zip" file of all your apps and data and flash that right along with your rom (TWRP allows you to install multiple .zip files, one after the other). That way, when you reboot, all your apps are already back. I've been told that unless you have the paid version of Titanium Backup, you are prompted with an Install Y/N prompt after each app. I have the paid version, so can't speak for certain.

Last subject, assuming you haven't installed a rom yet. The first boot may take as much as 15 minutes to boot up (It may take 2 hours if you stare at the screen :) ). Be patient, I walk away for awhile.

Im using cmw, Should i switch to twrp? And if so how do i remove cwm to replace with twrp? And no i havent installed any roms yet but the first one i want to try is the new wicked sensations.

Ramer84015

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Im using cmw, Should i switch to twrp? And if so how do i remove cwm to replace with twrp? And no i havent installed any roms yet but the first one i want to try is the new wicked sensations.

That's hard to answer. IMO, yes. Other members will chime in and say to stay with CWM. We all have our opinions on which is best. The only way for you to know is to try both. You notice I haven't tried to sway you on which rom to use? I use "The People's Rom" but the final decision is your's to make. You can install one recovery over the other by simply flashing the new recovery, just like you can go back to the other recovery in the same manner. Keep in mind though, the backup made with CWM is not compatible with TWRP and vice-versa. You can't restore a CWM backup with TWRP etc. Just make another backup with TWRP if you want to try it. The easiest way to install TWRP (and make sure you get the latest version) is to download Goo Manager from the Playstore. When you open Goo Manager, tap Menu and the tap "Install OpenRecoveryScript" Just follow the prompts from there. When you go into recovery, you'll see what (again, IMO) looks to be a cleaner interface. The only bug I've seen is the date stamp, but I suspect it's caused by the GS3 and not TWRP as the same bug is not present on my Nexus 7. I just use a file manager and rename it after the fact.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

A nandroid is like a full disk image backup on a PC. You can use it to restore your phone to the exact state it was in before you started flashing ROMs. So if something goes wrong with your flash, you can recover back to where you started. The TiB backup will let you restore individual apps and their data, and the data associated with system apps.

So I would do the full TiB backup before booting into recovery, then a Nandroid backup from within recovery. Clear cache, dalvik cache, and data, flash ROM and reboot. Then, before restoring anything, play around with the phone and make sure everything seems to be OK. If it is, boot into recovery again and do a fresh nandroid backup (you can keep more than one) of your new, clean ROM. That way, if something goes wrong when you start restoring from TiB, you can recover back to a clean condition.

Restoring the Titanium backup completely might be OK, or it might end up giving you a glitchy phone. As a general rule, I think you're safe restoring individual apps that you installed and their data. And if you're sticking with a Touchwiz based ROM (like Wicked Sensations and MOAR), I think you're safe restoring the data for system apps that carry across (like Mail, the Play apps, Messages, Phone, etc. I don't think I'd restore system data across different ROMs.

NJallDAY

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Ok can i use the titanium from the play store or should i get it online? And then ill do as sugested and restore the apps i use one by one only after i create a back up of the clean rom and check to make sure thw rom runs properly. Now when using the back up apps is there a specific place i should be storing these or is it default location? And im assuming i can rename the back ups so i know whats what. ie. Pre rom clean rom etc...

Ramer84015

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Ok can i use the titanium from the play store or should i get it online? And then ill do as sugested and restore the apps i use one by one only after i create a back up of the clean rom and check to make sure thw rom runs properly. Now when using the back up apps is there a specific place i should be storing these or is it default location? And im assuming i can rename the back ups so i know whats what. ie. Pre rom clean rom etc...

Yes, you can get Titanium Backup from the Playstore. When restoring apps from TB, they will get restore to where they were backed up from. That's what I love about the GS3, you don't have to worry about moving apps to SD. And yes, you can rename your nanoid backup to anything you want, for example I have my original backup stored on my PC called "Stock_Rooted", so if I have to, I can put the phone back to the state it was in right after I rooted. The rest of my backups are either just the current date or the circumstances for the backup.

NJallDAY

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Yes, you can get Titanium Backup from the Playstore. When restoring apps from TB, they will get restore to where they were backed up from. That's what I love about the GS3, you don't have to worry about moving apps to SD. And yes, you can rename your nanoid backup to anything you want, for example I have my original backup stored on my PC called "Stock_Rooted", so if I have to, I can put the phone back to the state it was in right after I rooted. The rest of my backups are either just the current date or the circumstances for the backup.

Right on. Im guna download TB and ill flash wicked sensations tonight since it may take a while for the first boot to complete, need my phone for work, cant have it down for that long. Thanks to you and meyerweb for all the help you two have given me over thebpast couple days, i really appreciate it. Youre gentleman and scholars lol

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
If you have a removable SD card, I suggest putting your backups there. The internal SD won't get wiped by any of these processes, but if it's on the external SD you can restore to a different device if your original ever needs to be replaced.