Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By kellin
  • 1 Post By pkcable
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Edit: I had no idea so many people would find this useful, so here's a couple of details regarding the scenario that worked for me:

- My phone is rooted.

- I have the Sprint GS3.

- I'm running CM 10.2.

If you're running a different ROM / variant, do a little research on the directories to make sure you can find the right folders.

Now, on to the original post:

I often have trouble finding a guide for this, so here are the SUPER simple steps.

1. Using ROM Toolbox (lite works), open Root Browser and create a folder on your external SD card named "GoogleMusic"

2. Create a folder in "GoogleMusic" named "files"

3. Long press "files" to bring up the menu and hit "Create Shortcut"

4. Without making any more selections, navigate to "/data/data/com.google.android.music/" and DELETE the "files" folder that exists there. Unfortunately this will delete all of your existing offline music. If you wish to bypass this, copy the "files" folder to your "GoogleMusic" folder on your external SD card, then proceed from step 3.

5. Hit the "Create" button to create your shortcut.

That's it! I was surprised at the simplicity. Google Play Music will now store all offline data to your "folder," which is actually a shortcut to another folder, which you created, on your external SD card.

WARNING: If you perform a factory reset or ANYTHING like that, this may still delete your music. To prevent this, delete the "files" shortcut from "/data/data/com.google.android.music/" BEFORE doing the wipe. Your files will stay safe.

Voilà!

Posted via Android Central App
    Last edited by kellin; 10-16-2013 at 04:04 PM.
    Thanked by 5:
    commonplace likes this.
    CrackBerrian

Global Posts
    32,636 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.0, iOS 5.1, BB10

Default Re: [HOW TO] Save all Google Play Music to External SD Card

Nice write up!
    Rich C. (PKcable)

Visitor from CrackBerry.com!

How do you prevent Google Music from adding the songs stored in number format from your external SD? It's adding songs twice, one from the files/music folder, and then again from the external SD.

Thanks for the write up. I'm having two problems with the following.

(When I try to create the shortcut with ROM Toolbox indicating that the creation failed and a message about some SD cards not being compatible... rooting is new to me so I'm not sure what this is about)

4. Without making any more selections, navigate to "/data/data/com.google.android.music/" and DELETE the "files" folder that exists there. Unfortunately this will delete all of your existing offline music. If you wish to bypass this, copy the "files" folder to your "GoogleMusic" folder on your external SD card, then proceed from step 3.
    (My second problem here is that I can not find this path anywhere. I can only find a /data/data directory on my SD card which I know isn't where it should be, on my device, I can only find a /data directory with nothing similar...
    Edit: I can see this directory path (/data/data/com.google.android.music/) on my device when I use windows explorer, but not from within ROM Toolbox. Any ideas where it might be found?
    Any ideas? Thanks,
    Jon
    Last edited by Valid8r; 08-21-2013 at 05:34 AM.

@jon I had the same issue, root browser on the market was able to do it.

hi. i cant get this to work. i have an at&t one x+.

Quote Originally Posted by majisoka View Post
    That phone doesn't have sd card support.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
    Sent from a Galaxy S2 Far Far Away...

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

this method works better than DirectoryBind on my Galaxy S3

I used the rom toolbox method on my s3 worked beautifully. On my s4 it deletes the songs everyday. Refuses to keep them on the external sd. When I delete the shortcut and leave it internal it's fine.

Any way to fix that?

Does the phone have to be rooted? I do not see the file you speak of .

I am stuck here. I have recently upgraded the stock rom of my Note 2 to leaked Android 4.3 JB. And below is the error message that I continuously get when I am trying to create a shortcut of a cache folder from my external sd card to Note 2's internal SD card using ROM Toolbox. I did not experience this problem or issue when I did the same using the Stock ROM.

Please can you point or guide me in the right direction.

Also Continuous Input/Swype and AllShare Cast/Mirror to my Samsung AllShare Cast dongle/hub (connected to my TV) has stopped working too since this upgrade.

Please see the attached pics for more information.

Many thanks.
    [HOW TO] Save all Google Play Music to External SD Card-2013-10-16-01.27.25.png
    [HOW TO] Save all Google Play Music to External SD Card-2013-10-15-21.58.41.png[HOW TO] Save all Google Play Music to External SD Card-2013-10-15-21.51.16.png[HOW TO] Save all Google Play Music to External SD Card-2013-10-15-21.52.17.png
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by spmode View Post
    How do you prevent Google Music from adding the songs stored in number format from your external SD? It's adding songs twice, one from the files/music folder, and then again from the external SD.
    That's a completely different "issue." The music files you place on your SD card from your computer will automatically be scanned by Google Play Music and displayed in your phone's library. I suggest uploading your local files to your Google Play Music online library via Google Music Manager, then making them available offline on your phone after doing the steps in the original post. This keeps your library far more consistent. Sorry if I missed anything or didn't fully answer your question.

13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by Valid8r View Post
    Thanks for the write up. I'm having two problems with the following.

(When I try to create the shortcut with ROM Toolbox indicating that the creation failed and a message about some SD cards not being compatible... rooting is new to me so I'm not sure what this is about)

(My second problem here is that I can not find this path anywhere. I can only find a /data/data directory on my SD card which I know isn't where it should be, on my device, I can only find a /data directory with nothing similar...
    Edit: I can see this directory path (/data/data/com.google.android.music/) on my device when I use windows explorer, but not from within ROM Toolbox. Any ideas where it might be found?
    Any ideas? Thanks,
    Jon
    Depending on your model and ROM, the directory may be elsewhere. You also must be rooted. Do a bit of research, considering the updated original post and the info I just gave you.

14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by majisoka View Post
    Keep in mind that this how-to is posted in the Galaxy S3 section of the forums.

15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by joelstitch View Post
    this method works better than DirectoryBind on my Galaxy S3
    Glad to hear it! I can't even remember where I found it, but luckily could remember the steps, so I made it available for myself and everybody else on Android Central.

16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri360 View Post
    I used the rom toolbox method on my s3 worked beautifully. On my s4 it deletes the songs everyday. Refuses to keep them on the external sd. When I delete the shortcut and leave it internal it's fine.

Any way to fix that?
    That's an interesting issue, but unfortunately I have no idea why it happens. Best of luck.

17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Quote Originally Posted by octmcardoso View Post
    Does the phone have to be rooted? I do not see the file you speak of .
    See the updated original post.

18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Quote Originally Posted by Kandisa4u View Post
    I am stuck here. I have recently upgraded the stock rom of my Note 2 to leaked Android 4.3 JB. And below is the error message that I continuously get when I am trying to create a shortcut of a cache folder from my external sd card to Note 2's internal SD card using ROM Toolbox. I did not experience this problem or issue when I did the same using the Stock ROM.

Please can you point or guide me in the right direction.

Also Continuous Input/Swype and AllShare Cast/Mirror to my Samsung AllShare Cast dongle/hub (connected to my TV) has stopped working too since this upgrade.

Please see the attached pics for more information.

Many thanks.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-10-16 01.27.25.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	119.9 KB 
ID:	86883
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-10-15 21.58.41.png 
Views:	416 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	86884Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-10-15 21.51.16.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	86886Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-10-15 21.52.17.png 
Views:	417 
Size:	268.4 KB 
ID:	86888
    Sadly, I have no clue what the issue is. The best I can do is recommend some intense Googling.

Trying to "create shortcut" crashes the app... every time.

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

when songs go into the external sd folder we've created is there any feature to "find" a song once they've become the coded numbers? (for example if look at a phone on my mac i have the option to "show in finder") is there a way to do that through google music... yes this is so i can share some songs that I have "all access" to

Worked Brilliantly - thanx mate!

Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vicious ROM

I will try this tonight

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

There is also a module out for this as well called music 2 sd which you can find in the play store but you have to have xposed framework installed to use. You can find that on xda

Edit: Google play has the option now to save to external sd card now but sometimes has issues saving for some reason so I still use music to sd

Sent from a galaxy within my palm

NO ROOT REQUIRED-You can easily add music to any android phone with a windows computer (5 minutes or Less)
    *You MUST delete all music on your phone before adding music to the SD card.
    *This method is for adding music from Google Music, (If you need iTunes help just ask

1. Connect phone to computer with USB cable and enable it as a Media Device.
    Attachment 97392

2. Use Google Music Manager to download your music files to your computer.
    Attachment 97397

3. Find the Music File, copy all the songs you want on the SD Card.
    Attachment 97400

4. Locate Phone by going to Computer and Clicking on your phone.
    Attachment 97394

5.Click on SD Card.
    Attachment 97395

6. Right click and hit paste and wait for upload to Finish.

How do I root Tecno Phantom A2 F8 device?