Sprint Galaxy S3 - Custom ROMs opinions and help needed

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
After having so much about the different ROM's on here, I feel like my head is about to explode with so many different opinions of which one is best. I have looked heavily at MOAR to put on my phone. The main concern I have is bricking my phone while trying to put it on there. What type of advice/help can you guys give me to calm my nerves? Is there a thread that goes step by step on how to do it? I looked but didn't really find much. After seeing what has been posted so far about 4.3, I'll not be updating to it.

I am totally new to this so go easy on me and if you don't mind use small words and don't type too fast cause I am a slow reader........:)

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
After having so much about the different ROMs on here, I feel like my head is about to explode with so many different opinions of which one is best. I have looked heavily at MOAR to put on my phone. The main concern I have is bricking my phone while trying to put it on there. What type of advice/help can you guys give me to calm my nerves? Is there a thread that goes step by step on how to do it? I looked but didn't really find much. After seeing what has been posted so far about 4.3, I'll not be updating to it.

I am totally new to this so go easy on me and if you don't mind use small words and don't type too fast cause I am a slow reader........:)

Welcome to the forums.
I think the biggest thing I can say is this: Always flash ROMs meant for your phone/carrier. Since you have Sprint, stick with ROMs made for Sprint and the S3.
First thing to do is (if you have a custom recovery installed) make a backup of your current ROM. This process is called making a Nandroid.
Here is how: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...00292-guide-how-use-your-custom-recovery.html

Here is how to flash ROMs: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...-how-flash-custom-recovery-clockwork-mod.html

If you have any questions, by all means ask.

Since you are new you can also make an intro thread in the Introductions section. Introductions - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Super Dave426

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
I am running MOAR without any issues, and I knew absolutely nothing before I did it, not that I know much more now! First thing I remember is you have to root the phone, there are good instructions in the how to root thread, there might even be a video available. I read it a few times then I wrote out all of the steps in a simple concise order. There are 2 options CW and TWRP, research them and choose because that is a little harder to change. I ran CW, but I think I read TWRP might have been a better option, I am not switching. After you get it rooted you go into the recovery mode and create a backup, this way if anything ever goes wrong you can always restore the phone to this point. You also want to backup whatever you can now, before you do anything, Google will remember anything associated with your account, apps and gmail, but you might want to hook up a cable and move all your pictures and things you want to save BEFORE you do anything, just like wiping a PC and doing a fresh install, back up your data.

Then you go to the MOAR thread at xda and read this through a few times. It offers so many options, watch the videos and go over the first page to see what interests you. You also want to browse through the Morphology Thread and write down what you prefer the different sections to look like as you do your install. You can always run Morphology at any time without flashing the entire ROM and change the looks, the colors of all the bars and Icons can be changed from the MOAR settings without any flashing.

You follow the instructions to install MOAR, go into recovery, clear cache, dalvick , data and then flash the MOAR zip, the fun begins and all of the choices will begin, it can feel overwhelming that is why you write down what you think you might want. There are options to leave parts alone, choose inverted (black background as opposed to white, uses less battery) Kernels and other things. I am back to the stock Kernel, Noobz I think, but you can always go back and just flash the Kernel. Keep choosing until you hit the last screen and BAM it restarts and you are a new MOAR runner.

Don't fret choosing a look you don't like, you can always flash again and switch things up, and it is a lot easier to get into recovery, when you choose restart there is an option to boot into recovery.

You want to check in the MOAR thread routinely to see what is happening with it and any problems, new options, that sprout up and how to deal with them. I know writing this off the top of my head I am forgetting a lot, but the basics are here, maybe Meyerweb will chime in and offer some tips that I forgot. Happy Flashing.

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I rooted my phone a while back and have been exploring the custom ROMs and having read as much as I have I'm surprised that my head hasn't exploded.... I really appreciate the help!

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm using CWM Recovery v5.5.0.4 to backup but it said for backing up data "No /sdcard/.android_secure found. Skipping backup of application on external storage."
It also said on backing up cache "No sd-ext found. Skipping backup of sd-ext."
Generating md5 sum..
Backup complete

Is this correct? Or did I do something wrong?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm using CWM Recovery v5.5.0.4 to backup but it said for backing up data "No /sdcard/.android_secure found. Skipping backup of application on external storage."
It also said on backing up cache "No sd-ext found. Skipping backup of sd-ext."
Generating md5 sum..
Backup complete

Is this correct? Or did I do something wrong?

If you don't have an SD card, then its fine.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

Super Dave426

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
Thank you, I'll check it out, I don't think I have a need to update, things have worked well so far, I always feel don't fix it if it isn't broken...

MaXXimus

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
The nice thing about custom ROMs is there is usually something for everyone. Some people like a completely stock experience where they can load on whatever they want, where other want a more controlled custom experience (ala CWM) and there's myriad options in between. It all boils down to personal preference and the only way to find out what you like is to try them out. As you've already discovered, flashing ROMs is pretty painless and makes the customization experience rather painless. Just don't forget to run a backup of your apps and nandroid before switching things up.

The GS3 is so much easier to root and customize than my last device and I'm quite enjoying the active dev support it receives.

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Golfdriver, I have a 32gb sd card and have a bit of music on it but for some reason that version of CWM recovery doesn't recognize it I guess. Is there a way for me to up/change the software to make a back up? If not what's the easiest way for me to do it? I know I'm probably asking what some might consider dumb questions but it's a steep learning curve for me right now.

I really do appreciate all the time and help you all have taken to help me. Once I learn a whole lot more maybe I will be able to pay it forward.

MaXXimus

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site

MaXXimus

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Didn't really tell me if there is a good reason to update it or just leave it be.

If it's working for you, you don't have to update. I'll usually take a look at the change logs and poke around to see if people are having issues with a new custom recovery version before taking the plunge.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilsgutkowski