1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Wifi Tethering Help for Noobs...

Hi,

I'm not what I would call literate at flashing, etc...i know just enough to get me in trouble as the saying goes, which is why I decided to post here for some help
    I have a samsung galaxy s3 with 4.1.2, i have rooted it but am still using the stock rom. i have the trev-e wifi tethering app which stays connected for about 15 minutes then disconnects.
    I have surfed around these forums enough to have learned that the problem is some of the loopholes being closed with 4.1.2, thus preventing the wifi tethering app from being used.
    I get the impression that their is still a way of making it work after reading this thread sprint gs3 4.1.2 wifi tethering ..here we go again
    This thread directs me to another thread that has the fix......
    This last thread gets pretty technical and gets way beyond my knowledge level fairly quickly,LOL.

Here is what I need to know:
    1. Is the fix listed on the xda forum above a custom rom that i need to flash? if so, can i flash it with odin?
    2. Based on my baseband version (L710VPBMD4)...I am guessing that I need the MD4 version?
    (edit) 3. Also...can I use Odin to do all of this?
    I guess what I really need is for someone to walk me through this like I am five years old,LOL. Thanks for the help

Default Re: Wifi Tethering Help for Noobs...

1. It's not a custom ROM. It installs a modified version of the Sprint hotspot app (and probably makes some other system changes). It needs to be flashed in recovery, using CWM or TWRP, not Odin. If your root procedure left the stock recovery in place, you'll need to install TWRP or CWM via Odin.

2. Yes, the MD4 version, and probably the Odexed one. The primary link in that thread gives a file not found, but you can get it at this mirror: . Again, flash in recovery, not Odin.

Let us know if you need more. I'm at work now, but can provide more detail later tonight or tomorrow.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
    Thanked by: