1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Accidently accepted OTA 4.3 and need some opinions

Alright first of all I know that accepting OTA while rooted is a terrible idea. I rooted my mother's phone a few months ago so she could use tethering. I forgot about telling her about OTA updates as I totally forgot that they get pushed to our phones (such a bad son I know lol) well long story short she accepted the update and now a few things are messed up on her phone.

This is where I need some direction from everyone on here. On her phone she said it went to TWRP and a few things started scrolling, like when you flash something. After which she rebooted device and her external sd card seems to be erased, which is not a big deal as she had backed up contents on computer. When she goes to install an app from the play store she recieves the error -24 When I boot into recovery she still has TWRP which makes me think that the OTA did not take on her phone as it should be stock recovery right? I also accepted the OTA update on my SG3 and had the similar booting into TWRP and it seemed my phone didn't take the update as well, I am still rooted and running 4.1.2 (the one time i did accept an OTA it went to a screen with an android guy with an arrow or something to that effect, and in both our cases that did not happen)

I am going to try and factory reset her phone to see if that will make the play store error go away
    But my questions are really how do I check and see if the new bootloader got installed as I know if you go back after having the new bootloader you brick your phone. I don't want to odin the stock tar and have to buy a new phone if possible.

any help would be appreciated I have included pics of what is running on her phone now after all this

thanks in advanced guys

Accidently accepted OTA 4.3 and need some opinions-screenshot_2013-12-19-16-51-00.png
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Accidently accepted OTA 4.3 and need some opinions-screenshot_2013-12-19-16-53-47.png  
    Last edited by wicked0007; 12-20-2013 at 10:59 AM.

Global Posts
    13,864 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: Accidently accepted OTA 4.3 and need some opinions

I would do 2 things: First clear cache in recovery. Here is how: [Guide] Rebooting into Recovery Mode for the Galaxy S2, S3, and Tab2.
    Second, try resetting app preferences; Settings>Apps/Application Manager>Menu>reset app preferences. This sometimes helps with Play issues.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

alright I will try and do the app preference, already did the clear cache in recovery, first thing I tried. Is there any way to check and see if the new bootloader is installed?

The update won't complete on a phone with a custom recovery, so it's not likely she has the MK3 ROM or bootloader. You can go into Settings / About device and check the build number, Baseband and Kernel to see.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Ok thanks for the info I was wondering why it didn't go through on my phone as well. How do I find out the baseband for the MK3 and Kernel info? just making sure before I ODIN the 4.1.2 stock tar as a last resort. feeling kinda noobish and I don't like that lol

this is her set up

Accidently accepted OTA 4.3 and need some opinions-screenshot_2013-12-19-16-51-00.png

Quote Originally Posted by wicked0007 View Post

this is her set up

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2013-12-19-16-51-00.png 
Views:	97 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	97666
    That's weird. I can't see the image in your post, but can see it in my reply.

Anyway, your Android is 4.1.2, not 4.3, and baseband (modem) and build are MD4, which is the last version prior to MK3. And April 15 is the MD4 kernel. So it looks like you're good to go.

But before unrooting, you might want to read the posts about 4.3 and Knox, and decide if upgrading is worth it.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Ok thank you so much, I just was making sure things looked ok before I unrooted. I am not upgrading to 4.3 no way! I was gonna put the stock tar on and reroot her phone if I can't fix what is wrong with hers. you guys are life savers.