Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By porkyhontas
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Serious noob question - Cyanogenmod

Sorry if this is a painfully simplistic question, but I'm having trouble finding a straight answer online - if I install Cyanogenmod on my S3, are all of my APKs still compatible? Cyanogenmod is based on Android, but their website makes it sound like a completely different OS, but some screenshots I've seen for Cyanogenmod installs show standard Android release numbers. It's all a little confusing and overwhelming trying to find out all about this without installing it first. Backups just take so long and I'd rather not spend a whole day just testing it out to see if it's nice or not. Is there any real downside to using Cyanogenmod, if you're already pretty deeply rooted in stock Android?

Also, if anyone happens to know (since I haven't looked it up in a while), is there an app for Cyanogenmod that'll let me cast local video files to my Chromecast? I seem to remember a while back it was being developed but haven't heard much since. Not that it hasn't been worth the money but that was what I really bought my Chromecast for, hoping it would be developed in the future.

Default Re: Serious noob question - Cyanogenmod

I don't think anyone can say whether ALL your apks will be compatible without knowing what apps you're using. But, in general, most apps should still work fine with CM.

The exceptions are going to be a lot of the Samsung apps and widgets, most of which require the TouchWiz launcher to work, and a few apps that won't work on rooted devices at all.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

Here's a link to the latest stable release of Cyanogenmod....

And here's a link to the Cyanogenmod forums. They will know just what info you need....

*Do not worry about your difficulties in mathematics, I assure you that mine are greater. - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Quote Originally Posted by DaisFlaque View Post
    Here's a link to the latest stable release of Cyanogenmod....

And here's a link to the Cyanogenmod forums. They will know just what info you need....
    I didn't know nightlies were stable? I always thought that they were 50/50.

Sent from my Wicked SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    DaisFlaque likes this.

Sorry not nightly... Stable release... here's all the downloads for our Sprint galaxy S3 (d2spr). The 7th download down is the latest STABLE (lol) release... 10.2 link...

*Do not worry about your difficulties in mathematics, I assure you that mine are greater. - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)