Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default OTA notification still popping up

I am rooted stock cwm recovery. My understanding was that a rooted phone would not get OTA notifications, but I am still receiving them. Am I not understanding this correctly or is there something I can do to not receive them anymore? I am NOT going to do the 4.3 update. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    13,913 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: OTA notification still popping up

Quote Originally Posted by Spongey1313 View Post
    I am rooted stock cwm recovery. My understanding was that a rooted phone would not get OTA notifications, but I am still receiving them. Am I not understanding this correctly or is there something I can do to not receive them anymore? I am NOT going to do the 4.3 update. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome to the forums.
    When you get the notification again, pull the notification shade down, and long press the OTA note. That will bring up an App Info button. CLick it, and you will get taken to the Application Information screen for the OTA app. Uncheck the box that says Show Notifications. It should be right under Force Stop.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thank you I will try that. If you're rooted though shouldn't the ota's stop?

Global Posts
    13,913 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Thank you I will try that. If you're rooted though shouldn't the ota's stop?

Stops it from installing, usually.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Ok, so now the notification stops in the status bar. Thank you golfdriver. I still get an update box that tells me that an upgrade is available. It gives mr the options of, upgrade later, more info or install, about every hour or so. Any way to stop that from happening? It's very annoying. They are persistent.

Global Posts
    13,913 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

That might be the last one. Try a reboot.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

The notification simply checks to see if you're on the newest version or not. If not, you get the notice, whether you're rooted or not.

If Golfdriver's tip doesn't work, check back. There are other ways to get rid of the notification, too.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Alright. Will try that now. I'm new to this so I'll have a question on installing MOAR from you myerweb as that is the one you seem to like most. I've not done a rom on android although I had a palm pre that I did once.

No problem. I'll be happy to help. It's pretty straightforward. Just make sure you create a Nandroid backup of your current config before flashing a new ROM.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Ok then. Just rebooted and no prompt for the upgrade (so far). Meyerweb I did a nandroid backup last night/this morning after I rooted. I also downloaded 2 MOAR 6.0 files and put them on my sdcard.

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Spoke too soon that popped up again. When I tried to do a screen shot it went away.

Spoke too soon that popped up again. When I tried to do a screen shot it went away.

You may want to dig deeper then....

...I think I'm going to be on the same boat as you as soon as I root my phone (4.1.2).
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by GrooveRite View Post
    You may want to dig deeper then....

...I think I'm going to be on the same boat as you as soon as I root my phone (4.1.2).

It's very annoying. Can't figure out how send a screenshot on mobile. Done it before but can't remember.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    No problem. I'll be happy to help. It's pretty straightforward. Just make sure you create a Nandroid backup of your current config before flashing a new ROM.
    Have done a nandroid backup and downloaded MOAR rom to my sdcard. Now what?

You said you downloaded 2 files? What are they? Did you download from both DevHost and Mirror 1? Those should be the same file, and you only need one. Also, flashing MOAR won't get rid of the OTA prompt, as your phone will still report it's on MD4. If all you really want to do is get rid of the nag, flash this file in recovery:

If you really want to run on MOAR, do the following: This assumes you're currently on the MD4 ROM. If not, let me know.

Boot into recovery
    Wipe cache, wipe dalvik cache (mandatory)
    Factory reset (optional - see below*)
    Flash (install) the ROM file in recovery
    -- This will start the Aroma installer, which will give you a lot of options. For the first time, I would suggest choosing "install MOAR as is." Once you're sure everything is working OK, you can go back and reflash the ROM, and choose "Run Morphology ONLY" to choose certain customizations. You don't need to clear cache or Dalvik to run morphology ONLY."

When the install is complete, reboot the phone from recovery.
    The first time it boots up, it will take quite a while, and you'll get messages about Android updating. That's normal.

*The first time you install a new ROM, it's generally a good idea to factory reset, to make sure there aren't any files from the old ROM hanging around. Since MOAR is an MD4 Touchwiz-based ROM, it may install OK without a factory reset. But if you don't reset, and start running into glitches, you should probably just start over and factor reset this time. As I'm sure you know, a factory reset will wipe all your application data and settings, so you might want to install Titanium backup and back everything up first.

That's it.Oh, you'll still need to run the MOAR nag remove zip file I linked to above.

Build.prop edit did the trick for me. I'm very happy with stock rooted MD4, and see no reason to screw up a good phone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

You said you downloaded 2 files? What are they? Did you download from both DevHost and Mirror 1? Those should be the same file, and you only need one. Also, flashing MOAR won't get rid of the OTA prompt, as your phone will still report it's on MD4. If all you really want to do is get rid of the nag, flash this file in recovery:

If you really want to run on MOAR, do the following: This assumes you're currently on the MD4 ROM. If not, let me know.

Boot into recovery
    Wipe cache, wipe dalvik cache (mandatory)
    Factory reset (optional - see below*)
    Flash (install) the ROM file in recovery
    -- This will start the Aroma installer, which will give you a lot of options. For the first time, I would suggest choosing "install MOAR as is." Once you're sure everything is working OK, you can go back and reflash the ROM, and choose "Run Morphology ONLY" to choose certain customizations. You don't need to clear cache or Dalvik to run morphology ONLY."

When the install is complete, reboot the phone from recovery.
    The first time it boots up, it will take quite a while, and you'll get messages about Android updating. That's normal.

*The first time you install a new ROM, it's generally a good idea to factory reset, to make sure there aren't any files from the old ROM hanging around. Since MOAR is an MD4 Touchwiz-based ROM, it may install OK without a factory reset. But if you don't reset, and start running into glitches, you should probably just start over and factor reset this time. As I'm sure you know, a factory reset will wipe all your application data and settings, so you might want to install Titanium backup and back everything up first.

That's it.Oh, you'll still need to run the MOAR nag remove zip file I linked to above.
    Thanks! The MOAR NAG zip, can I download that directly from mobile or should I do that from my laptop then isb to the phone?

Either should work. It's a small file.

Thanked by:
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Either should work. It's a small file.
    Thanks for all your help. May jabe to try tomorrow sometime. Family obligations.

20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Oh by the way my titanium backup has now decided that my phone is now not rooted. It worked fine last noght and this morning. WTH. How do I check for sure?

21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Oh by the way my titanium backup has now decided that my phone is now not rooted. It worked fine last noght and this morning. WTH. How do I check for sure?

It's the free version if that makes any difference.

Rootchecker will let you know:

Do you have SuperSU or SuperUser installed? What happens if you try to open that app? If you boot into recovery, do you still have CWM?

23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Rootchecker will let you know:

Do you have SuperSU or SuperUser installed? What happens if you try to open that app? If you boot into recovery, do you still have CWM?
    Rootchecker says I'm rooted. I have SuperUser. Still have CWM. It opens fine and says titanium backup denied.

Open SuperUser and make sure it's set to grant root to Titanium.

25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Open SuperUser and make sure it's set to grant root to Titanium.
    No joy. Didn't see any way to grant root.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast