Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Hard bricked my s3 :(

Hello.

I had wicked sensations ROM installed.
    Had TWRP recovery installed. The rom got really buggy after it being installed for a while, so i figured it was time to reinstall fresh rom.
    so I used rom manager to download the newest cyanogen mod.
    I decided to do a clean wipe when installing cyanogen mod ROM, and while installing it failed.

I was stuck in recovery mode with no operating system installed, so I used an old ROM on my sd card just to get
    android back on. i think it was called hercules rom. It successfully flashed and installed in recovery.
    Next i pressed reboot/start.
    Screen goes black.

and nothing ever came up.
    My phone had 80% juice.
    -I have swapped batteries.
    -The little red light doesnt come on showing its charging
    -No splash boot logo
    -wont go into download mode(power,vol down, home)
    -wont go into recovery mode.
    Holding the power button or any combination above the screen always stays black
    -no vibration
    -no signs of life

Help me! i have no idea what to do. is my phone completely screwed... ?
    its acting like a dummy display phone right now

Default Re: Hard bricked my s3 :(

Here are a couple of threads which claim to unbrick a hard-bricked device. I've never really tried to follow them, but they may help.

[GUIDE]Unbrick a Hard Bricked SPRINT Galaxy S3 (Without JTAG) - xda-developers

Fixing a bootloader-bricked Galaxy S3 using an SD card (Qualcomm SGS3 variants) - xda-developers

Another option is to send the phone away to a service that uses a JTAG device. This gentleman has helped a number of forum users:

JTAG Unbrick Service « Bricked my Phone

BTW, for future reference, I would stay as far away from ROM Manager as possible. It will happily offer to flash a ROM that's not meant for your model of phone, leading to a hard brick.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

oh my god!!!! My phone is back to life. thank you so much!! i can't believe this worked. took me about 5 hours to figure everything out, download linux, etc....
    wow. you saved me so much money. !
    so now you know. confirmed. this actually works!!!!!

Difficulty level:medium
    and I'm a very techy guy.
    My biggest difficulty is not being comfortable using Linux OS.
    The guide also had a lot of syntax errors with the Linux commands, and that slowed me down.
    I used a 16gb micro sd card, but it was a class 2. not class 10 like the guide says to use. still worked regardless.

For the newbies out there. If you are going to use linux, just use a live boot cd, and don't install it on your pc.
    I installed it dual booting with my windows 7, and it integrated itself into the Windows MBR.
    Problem is, it would only let linux load, and my windows 7 stopped loading.
    So i used windows 7 installation disc to repair the windows master boot record using the command prompt. and got everything back into running order
    good luck on this you sprint people.

Can I pm you about my brothers s3 issue ?
    Thanks once again
    Last edited by Insane Aim X; 01-06-2014 at 11:33 AM.

Glad to hear it worked.

It would be better to post a regular thread so that others can learn from it and perhaps help answer. But feel free to PM me a link to the thread if you want to make sure I see it.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.
    Thanked by:

Also stay away from Rom Manager. Flash fail as you see you are in a little hot water.
    SGH-T999
    T-Mobile USA
    Rooted Stock 4.3 (No KNOX)

If My post has helped please hit the Thanks Button

Unused Ram is Wasted Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Insane Aim X View Post
    oh my god!!!! My phone is back to life. thank you so much!! i can't believe this worked. took me about 5 hours to figure everything out, download linux, etc....
    wow. you saved me so much money. !
    so now you know. confirmed. this actually works!!!!!

Difficulty level:medium
    and I'm a very techy guy.
    My biggest difficulty is not being comfortable using Linux OS.
    The guide also had a lot of syntax errors with the Linux commands, and that slowed me down.
    I used a 16gb micro sd card, but it was a class 2. not class 10 like the guide says to use. still worked regardless.

For the newbies out there. If you are going to use linux, just use a live boot cd, and don't install it on your pc.
    I installed it dual booting with my windows 7, and it integrated itself into the Windows MBR.
    Problem is, it would only let linux load, and my windows 7 stopped loading.
    So i used windows 7 installation disc to repair the windows master boot record using the command prompt. and got everything back into running order
    good luck on this you sprint people.

Can I pm you about my brothers s3 issue ?
    Thanks once again
    Hey Instane Aim X,

I'm in the same boat with my Virgin Mobile Galaxy S3 and don't know a thing about using Linux. How about providing a step-by-step for a noob? Thanks bro!