d2spr Galaxy S3 problems with flashing some roms

JacobGates

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys. I have the Sprint Galaxy S3 and I rooted it using motochopper because I have linux (ubuntu) and I couldn't get Odin to work. Everything went fine as far as I know but some roms will not boot after flash. Actually most roms that I have tried won't. So now I am beginning to think that it was my method of rooting that is causing these problems. I might be able to use a virtual box to run windows and maybe get Odin working but the question is can I get my phone to connect to windows through the virtual machine. And I am not sure if that is even possible at this point sense I have an already rooted phone. All flashes say successful when they are finished and the phone reboots but then freezes on the animated boot screen. The only roms that I have gotten to flash and boot is CyanogenMod 10 and Slim. Other's that I have tried are Carbon, Pac-Man, Illusion, and a few other's that I can't remember the name of at the moment. When I reboot after flashing Carbon it shows the 'samsung' screen then it goes black and the power button won't respond. So I have to remove the battery and boot into recovery and restore a backup or flash a new rom. I read online that I needed to leave my phone for 15 minutes after a flash, well right now as I am typing this I have flashed Illusion and it has been in the boot screen for 40 minutes. So I have no idea what is going on, it has to be my phone and not the roms. Any help is great appreciated.

Before the standard questions are asked I will try to answer them now so we can get to the problem and solution faster: I rooted my phone with motochopper (here: How to Root Galaxy S3 on Mac OSX/Linux/Ubuntu! [Jelly Bean] U.S./Canadian ~ Android Rootz | Source for Android Rooting, ROMS, Tricks and more!), no known problems during rooting process, I have tried flashing roms with both teamwin recovery and clockwork, i did wipe system/factory reset, i did wipe cache, and did wipe dalvik. I think that is all the basic questions. Just ask if I missed something. Thank you for your help!

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
There was a hardware revision made to some s3 devices which can cause issues with aosp based roms. Can you get a touchwiz rom to flash?

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

JacobGates

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
There was a hardware revision made to some s3 devices which can cause issues with aosp based roms. Can you get a touchwiz rom to flash?

Thanks for the reply!
oooh really? haha figures that there would be problems with AOSP sense I like them so much. Yes I can get a touchwiz, just give me a second to download and flash it and I will report back here with the results

JacobGates

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the reply!
oooh really? haha figures that there would be problems with AOSP sense I like them so much. Yes I can get a touchwiz, just give me a second to download and flash it and I will report back here with the results

Okay so I downloaded and flashed Hyperdrive and it works perfectly! Okay so we know the problem and I am guessing there is nothing we can do to fix it. So if I want an aosp style rom then I just, what... have to wait until they update their roms for the hardware revisions? Well either way, I am just happy it isn't something I did. Waiting is a simple thing, even if it is slightly annoying.

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Okay so I downloaded and flashed Hyperdrive and it works perfectly! Okay so we know the problem and I am guessing there is nothing we can do to fix it. So if I want an aosp style rom then I just, what... have to wait until they update their roms for the hardware revisions? Well either way, I am just happy it isn't something I did. Waiting is a simple thing, even if it is slightly annoying.

Nope, you will need custom kernels for this issue. There are a few people making them but there aren't many good ones. I don't know if a good one exists for the sprint version honestly. Maybe somebody else can chime in with a decent kernel that works for this issue. You can find other threads like this by searching things like "can't flash aosp roms galaxy s3" in google or something

JacobGates

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Nope, you will need custom kernels for this issue. There are a few people making them but there aren't many good ones. I don't know if a good one exists for the sprint version honestly. Maybe somebody else can chime in with a decent kernel that works for this issue. You can find other threads like this by searching things like "can't flash aosp roms galaxy s3" in google or something

Oh okay! well that is good news that it is being worked on. I have googled this before you told me it was aosp specific because I just didn't realize it until now. Thank you so much for your help! And anyone else that has any advice please tell us what you got and it will be greatly appreciated. If I find anything helpful or a kernel that works well I will post it here.

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Oh okay! well that is good news that it is being worked on. I have googled this before you told me it was aosp specific because I just didn't realize it until now. Thank you so much for your help! And anyone else that has any advice please tell us what you got and it will be greatly appreciated. If I find anything helpful or a kernel that works well I will post it here.

No problem! I hope you get everything sorted out so you can use aosp again!

seanskiT1

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site

There are some good kernels for sprint, if you look up in the stickies you will find a list of ROMs and kernels that has links to them. DKP and ktoonz are probably the top 2. As far as using them with AOSP, I haven't got anything to tell you there. I am currently running Wicked Sensations which is TW with the DKP kernel,

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
+1 to the DKP ROM. If you want to run a 4.3 ROM, that's probably your best choice, as I believe the dev is having problems getting the 4.3 version of ktoonz to work properly.

JacobGates

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
There are some good kernels for sprint, if you look up in the stickies you will find a list of ROMs and kernels that has links to them. DKP and ktoonz are probably the top 2. As far as using them with AOSP, I haven't got anything to tell you there. I am currently running Wicked Sensations which is TW with the DKP kernel,

+1 to the DKP ROM. If you want to run a 4.3 ROM, that's probably your best choice, as I believe the dev is having problems getting the 4.3 version of ktoonz to work properly.

Well I have searched and searched for kernels that will work with the hardware revision for aosp and wasn't successful. So I am just giving in and trying to find some touchwiz or anything non-aosp that will work on my phone. I am REALLY picky with my devices and what they do and look like so I have been working all day. I tried wicked sensations but it was just way to themes for me, I also tried people's rom but again, to themed. I can't wait until aosp works again. I tried to find the DKP rom but I only found a kernel I think, or is that what you mean?

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Well I have searched and searched for kernels that will work with the hardware revision for aosp and wasn't successful. So I am just giving in and trying to find some touchwiz or anything non-aosp that will work on my phone. I am REALLY picky with my devices and what they do and look like so I have been working all day. I tried wicked sensations but it was just way to themes for me, I also tried people's rom but again, to themed. I can't wait until aosp works again. I tried to find the DKP rom but I only found a kernel I think, or is that what you mean?

I would try the DKP kernel if you can. Just flash it in your recovery after you flash a rom and you should be good. It might work with the hardware revision, but it might not. It's always worth a shot though

JacobGates

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, he meant kernel. DKP is the current kernel most of us are using with the new 4.3 ROMs.

sent from a GS3 gone Wicked

I would try the DKP kernel if you can. Just flash it in your recovery after you flash a rom and you should be good. It might work with the hardware revision, but it might not. It's always worth a shot though

Okay! yeah I think I will try it. I just got MOAR running and it works great if nothing else does until this revision is worked out. I would try DKP if MOAR was a 4.3 rom but it's only 4.1. If it works on one of the AOSP roms I am trying I will report it. God I hope it does!

JacobGates

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Okay so I got Illusion rom ([ROM][d2spr][d2mtr] IllusionRom-2.6 12|10|2013 [Preview] - xda-developers) to work with the DKP kernel BUT... when it booted all I saw was a purple or pink screen and some of the status bar but enlarged. When I touched the screen I got a green screen and some letters that I think read "central time" but I am not sure. On the DKP thread it said to flash "dkp-enable-vmin.zip." and I did that but it didn't change anything. But that is a step, now we have an aosp rom starting to boot and run.

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Okay so I got Illusion rom ([ROM][d2spr][d2mtr] IllusionRom-2.6 12|10|2013 [Preview] - xda-developers) to work with the DKP kernel BUT... when it booted all I saw was a purple or pink screen and some of the status bar but enlarged. When I touched the screen I got a green screen and some letters that I think read "central time" but I am not sure. On the DKP thread it said to flash "dkp-enable-vmin.zip." and I did that but it didn't change anything. But that is a step, now we have an aosp rom starting to boot and run.

That rom seems to still be in production and isn't stable. Can you try cyanogenmod 10.2? I know that rom a lot better and it's usually built to be a lot more stable

JacobGates

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Awesome! It seems that we've solved your issue. If you have any more questions feel free to ask ��

um, no sorry, didn't solve anything. I mentioned in my first post that I had gotten Cyanogenmod and slim running. that's what I was saying earlier that I had already gotten them to run. No other aosp style roms I have tried work though. Even tried Carbon with the DKP kernel and nothing different.

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
um, no sorry, didn't solve anything. I mentioned in my first post that I had gotten Cyanogenmod and slim running. that's what I was saying earlier that I had already gotten them to run. No other aosp style roms I have tried work though. Even tried Carbon with the DKP kernel and nothing different.

Oh, I must've accidentally skipped that. Hmm.....that doesn't make much sense then. What recovery are you using? Are you sure the roms are rooted when you try to boot them?

seanskiT1

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Okay! yeah I think I will try it. I just got MOAR running and it works great if nothing else does until this revision is worked out. I would try DKP if MOAR was a 4.3 rom but it's only 4.1. If it works on one of the AOSP roms I am trying I will report it. God I hope it does!

MOAR is on 4.3 as is Wicked

sent from a GS3 gone Wicked

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae