Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Please help. Won't boot to Recovery, otherwise, it's fine. Rooted Galaxy S3 (Sprint) Android 4.3

My S3 can boot normally to the rooted OS, or to "Download Mode" but seemingly refuses to boot to recovery mode.

For some reason, it will not accept the [volumeUP/Home/Power] combo (even though ti did earlier to root it to start with)

[all the buttons work fine when I use them in regular mode)

I've tried several times, but all it does is vibrate quickly with nothing displayed, then when I let go of the three buttons (I can wait one second or thirty, it doesn't matter) it seems to go back to standard booting and boots to the OS.

Again, it WILL boot to Download Mode.
    It will NOT boot to Recovery Mode when proper buttons are pushed, and simply boots to the main OS after I let go of the buttons.Please help. Won't boot to Recovery, otherwise, it's fine. Rooted Galaxy S3 (Sprint) Android 4.3-phonestats.jpg.

Here's the specs:
    model: SPH-L710
    Build: JSS15J.L710VPUCMK3
    Android 4.3 (OTA'd by accident).
    Running rooted (via Odin) but not ROM flashed.

Default Re: Please help. Won't boot to Recovery, otherwise, it's fine. Rooted Galaxy S3 (Sprint) Android 4.3

Did you take the OTA after you rooted? Did the issue start right after the OTA or otherwise?
    Owner of a replacement Htc One... Till something better comes along
    Ambassador
    Thanked by:

Default Re: Please help. Won't boot to Recovery, otherwise, it's fine. Rooted Galaxy S3 (Sprint) Android 4.3

It sounds like a hardware issue with your volume button. How about one of the many apps in the Play Store to boot into recovery? Here is the first one I saw.
    Thanked by:

Just to make sure, you are powering the phone completely off before trying to boot to recovery, right?

Another possibility: I've noticed the 3 key combination doesn't seem to work if the phone is charging when you try it.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I thought so too, but the volume button works fine once it boots to standard OS.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

[CORRECTION] I thought it would still boot to Download mode, but it does not. IN short, it ONLY boots normally, regardless what button combo I push.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramer84015#AC View Post
    It sounds like a hardware issue with your volume button. How about one of the many apps in the Play Store to boot into recovery? Here is the first one I saw.
    I thought so too, but the volume button works fine once it boots to standard OS. But the recovery app idea was one I hadn't even thought of. However, I've not noticed that every app that uses root access freezes once I click it. So the recovery apps are freezing.

Quote Originally Posted by ffejjj View Post
    Did you take the OTA after you rooted? Did the issue start right after the OTA or otherwise?
    Yes, OTA'd right after root. I know that was a bad thing, and I know it is causing an issue now that I have rooted.

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Just to make sure, you are powering the phone completely off before trying to boot to recovery, right?

Another possibility: I've noticed the 3 key combination doesn't seem to work if the phone is charging when you try it.
    Phone is completely off. Wasn't connected to a charger or anything. I've attempted to get it to boot to recovery several times.

I'm worried this is such a rare issue, no one will know how to fix it.

I haven't run across this before. you might try installing a new recovery through Odin.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3