Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By meyerweb
  • 1 Post By meyerweb
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Sprint Galaxy S3 updating problem

I noticed I wasn't able to update my PRL, profile, or Samsung files. apparently something is wrong. I'm running 4.2 with stock rom rooted with Oden 3.04.
    Could it be because I'm running 4.2?
    I was going to wait to update to 4.4 I just haven't seen a stock or daily driver 4.4 rom yet.

Default Re: Sprint Galaxy S3 updating problem

Sprint never released a 4.2 based version, so by "stock ROM" I'm guessing you mean stock Android, as in AOSP, not stock Sprint.

And yes, that's why. I think you need to be on a TW based ROM to do that through the normal means. There may be manual ways to do it, but I'm not sure.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

You're right it was 4.1.2

That's a different story, then. Is it the stock Sprint version of 4.1.2?

Try entering ##72786# in the dialer. This takes your phone through the automated provisioning service, and will reset all your comm setttings. The phone will reboot several times, which is normal. You won't lose any data. NOTE: If your phone has been flashed to another carrier (like Boost) other than Sprint, don't do this.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.
    Thanked by 2:
    DaisFlaque likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I opened Kies and copied the firmware info: PDA:MK3 / PHONE:MK3 / CSC:MK3 (SPR)
    I hope this answers your question.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I opened Kies and copied the firmware info: PDA:MK3 / PHONE:MK3 / CSC:MK3 (SPR)
    I hope this answers your question.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    That's a different story, then. Is it the stock Sprint version of 4.1.2?

Try entering ##72786# in the dialer. This takes your phone through the automated provisioning service, and will reset all your comm setttings. The phone will reboot several times, which is normal. You won't lose any data. NOTE: If your phone has been flashed to another carrier (like Boost) other than Sprint, don't do this.
    You wanted to know what my ROM is. I opened Kies and copied the firmware info: PDA:MK3 / PHONE:MK3 / CSC:MK3 (SPR)
    I hope this answers your question. So can I go through the automated provisioning service or not??

Sorry, been really busy and didn't get back here 'till today. Yes, that's the Sprint ROM, so go ahead and reprovision.

Thanked by:
    congaman59 likes this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

I tried the re provisioning. I got a blue bar with "SCRTN" on it. It turned off the radio. Had wi-fi only. Didn't restart. Do I need to run this in safe mode? I just tried using my phone and it now is not activated! I called Sprint & they walked me through putting my number back in the phone. I can dial out now. However I still can't do the updates.
    Last edited by congaman59; 04-24-2014 at 02:03 PM.

The SCRTN and restart is normal. It should restart a couple of times. I've not heard of reprovisioning de-activating a phone before. There's something odd going on with your phone, but I'm afraid I'm out of ideas.

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Should I try to upgrade to 4.3 or would that make matters worse? Should I wait 'till a 4.4 daily driver is available & go to that?

Since I don't know what's keeping you from updating PRL, I can't guess whether updating to 4.3 will resolve it or not. Sorry. You can try, but I don't know what my happen.

Have you tried a factory reset? I'd probably try that before updating to 4.3

13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

I also have titanium backup on the phone. I wondered if that could help in some way? can I factory reset and then upgrade to 4.3 then re-root to 4.3?

A factory reset won't change the version of the ROM you're on. If you haven't already, though, that's probably a good next step.