Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Samsung Galaxy s3 text message limit?

3 questions

1.when you open the messaging app, and go to settings, in the middle it says "Text message limit"

what the heck does that mean? does that mean that if you go over the limit, it will automatically delete your messages?

what number should i put there? i put 500

and also, what about the "multimedia message limit"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. how the heck do you set the vibration type for text messages, i set it for :

device ringtone: silent

device vibration: heartbeat

default notifications: whistle

sound and vibration: unchecked

and when a text, it doesnt do the heartbeat, it just does one big vibration

-------------------------------------------------------

3. is anyone having a problem with "smart stay"?

whenever i look at the screen, then look away ,i get the "eyeball" animation, but even when i bring it right up to my eye, the screen still decides to turn off. my room has the lights off, and has a decent amount of light from outside and my computer, why is it going off?

Default Re: Samsung Galaxy s3 text message limit?

Quote Originally Posted by Soundtrack to Chaos View Post
    3 questions

1.when you open the messaging app, and go to settings, in the middle it says "Text message limit"

what the heck does that mean? does that mean that if you go over the limit, it will automatically delete your messages?

what number should i put there? i put 500

and also, what about the "multimedia message limit"
    Exactly. Those messages will use cache and 500 convos with 1000 SMS and 200 MMS can add up quick. I keep mine at the default limits but it's user preference. Also, theres apps which will back up your messages so if you want to set the limit low, get an app to back them up so you can retrieve them later if desired.

HERES a thread about someone having problems as a result of too many texts.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. how the heck do you set the vibration type for text messages, i set it for :

device ringtone: silent

device vibration: heartbeat

default notifications: whistle

sound and vibration: unchecked

and when a text, it doesnt do the heartbeat, it just does one big vibration

-------------------------------------------------------
    If the OEM made it adjustable per specific message type, it's usually in the settings inside the specific app. For example i can adjust my vibrate settings for text only by opening the sms app, menu, settings, then adjusting. Thats not on a sammy but the concept is universal in that i adjust notification settings for gmail inside gmail, for G+ inside G+. If you think you're doing it by the book and it's not working, it's possible it's a minor bug if others confirm. Also, if thats a setting in a 3rd party sms app and not adjustable in a default appd, then theres a chance it was never intended to work on the device and is a display issue in the app and not a device bug.

3. is anyone having a problem with "smart stay"?

whenever i look at the screen, then look away ,i get the "eyeball" animation, but even when i bring it right up to my eye, the screen still decides to turn off. my room has the lights off, and has a decent amount of light from outside and my computer, why is it going off?
    Hopefully others can help but if your putting it directly against your eye just to test (you said bring it right up to the eye) you may be triggering the proximity sensor causing the phone to turn off the display.
    [CENTER][URL="https://plus.google.com/u/0/+KPSmith/posts"]Follow me on Google +
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by KSmithInNY View Post
    Exactly. Those messages will use cache and 500 convos with 1000 SMS and 200 MMS can add up quick. I keep mine at the default limits but it's user preference. Also, theres apps which will back up your messages so if you want to set the limit low, get an app to back them up so you can retrieve them later if desired.

HERES a thread about someone having problems as a result of too many texts.

If the OEM made it adjustable per specific message type, it's usually in the settings inside the specific app. For example i can adjust my vibrate settings for text only by opening the sms app, menu, settings, then adjusting. Thats not on a sammy but the concept is universal in that i adjust notification settings for gmail inside gmail, for G+ inside G+. If you think you're doing it by the book and it's not working, it's possible it's a minor bug if others confirm. Also, if thats a setting in a 3rd party sms app and not adjustable in a default appd, then theres a chance it was never intended to work on the device and is a display issue in the app and not a device bug.

Hopefully others can help but if your putting it directly against your eye just to test (you said bring it right up to the eye) you may be triggering the proximity sensor causing the phone to turn off the display.
    oh ok, is there any way to make the screen light up and turn on when i get a text message? its pretty stupid that i never kno that i get a text until i check to see if my phone is lighting up, because it doesnt vibrate unless the screen is on

oh ok, is there any way to make the screen light up and turn on when i get a text message? its pretty stupid that i never kno that i get a text until i check to see if my phone is lighting up, because it doesnt vibrate unless the screen is on
    hmmm i dont know due to not having the phone but you may want to look into smart alerts. Samsung was bragging it up as a better way to let you know you have a waiting message. If there is an option for pop up or screen wake for SMS, it would be inside the SMS app under menu settings or in the smart alerts menu. I do know the 3rd party app GO SMS can wake the screen up if you're not opposed to checking out their app. It's free in the google play store. I'm sure other SMS apps can as well.
    [CENTER][URL="https://plus.google.com/u/0/+KPSmith/posts"]Follow me on Google +
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by KSmithInNY View Post
    hmmm i dont know due to not having the phone but you may want to look into smart alerts. Samsung was bragging it up as a better way to let you know you have a waiting message. If there is an option for pop up or screen wake for SMS, it would be inside the SMS app under menu settings or in the smart alerts menu. I do know the 3rd party app GO SMS can wake the screen up if you're not opposed to checking out their app. It's free in the google play store. I'm sure other SMS apps can as well.

i found a work around, handcent sms! it vibrates when the screen is off and everythign now, thanks for all the help!

i have problem that sms cannot coming,but sms out,cal in & out also can.can i have the configuration or setting for sms coming?plss,tq

Quote Originally Posted by astagaaku View Post
    i have problem that sms cannot coming,but sms out,cal in & out also can.can i have the configuration or setting for sms coming?plss,tq
    That's not the only problem you have...

Sent from my SGS3!

ing text message for s3 is limited in 80/80? please help me dude