For those who had the SGS2

Lucki

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
For those who had the SGS2 from sprint or the international version and have already received their SGS3. Is it worth the upgrade from the SGS2? Going to pick mine up later this evening and currently using the Epic 4g touch.:D

Thanks!

chay03

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Yep. For an upgrade price only, not full retail. Screen is better but what I noticed is that the screen is a lot more responsive.

I had the epic 4g touch and gave it to my son.

Nice feature of being on the phonewhile browsing web. The pop up play thing is not useful to me. I don't care for it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Lucki

coinmanmat

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
I have an Epic 4G Touch now and I want the GS3 because im bored with my phone. I wouldnt mind paying full retail

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

epic_samantha

May 12, 2012
Visit site
For those who had the SGS2 from sprint or the international version and have already received their SGS3. Is it worth the upgrade from the SGS2? Going to pick mine up later this evening and currently using the Epic 4g touch.:D

Thanks!

It was absolutely worth the upgrade, it has much better screen, I love the 4.0, it doesn't have as much bloatware, pictures look amazing and it's much snappier than my S2. It feels quite nice in my hand and I can easily use it with one hand. It does take some getting used to when using it with one hand but you'll get used to it. I hope you enjoy your new S3 as much as I am.

Reactions: Lucki

Lucki

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I have an upgrade that I haven't used yet. I will be giving my epic touch 4g to my brother and sell his photon and use the money towards the sgs3. So Yeah the only thing really holding me back is the GPU. Is it better than the Mali 400 in our sgs2?

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I have an Epic 4G Touch now and I want the GS3 because im bored with my phone. I wouldnt mind paying full retail

Do it man! Forget their silly contracts and join me in the fight! Or be smart and base the decision on your personal finances lol :p

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Back on topic, one major thing this has that yours doesn't is a new internal file structure that theoretically future proofs the phone for updates. Google had a black eye from the partitions in the N1 preventing ICS update, which triggered this new method. Do note that unless Samsung backports the closed source stuff when source is updated, no amount of formatting will fix OEM abandonment or closed source BS preventing the community from taking on the task.

epic_samantha

May 12, 2012
Visit site

coinmanmat

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Do it man! Forget their silly contracts and join me in the fight! Or be smart and base the decision on your personal finances lol :p

Well my finances are not exactly in order at the moment but as soon as I get a chance, I will buy a GS3

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Well my finances are not exactly in order at the moment but as soon as I get a chance, I will buy a GS3

Unfortunately I'm leaning towards passing. I was waiting to see threads from previous Sammy users praising network reception and instead have limited info, with confirmed poor wifi reception. That NS4G did a number on my Samsung trust. 8 hours per charge was top notch simply from degraded network reception. Higher speced phones (using more juice) with similar mah were smoking me and it was because of those damn radios :mad:

Lucki

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I will get it monday once sprint hopefully sorts out the hold on my account -_-. Its been at best buy since yesterday but won't be able to get it till monday or tuesday if they hold it till then :(.

fivegear

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
The S3 has a few issues but most could be sorted out with an update, of course that's what I kept thinking about my S2 Epic Touch... Is it worth the upgrade? In my opinion only if you have an upgrade available and want some of the new functions this version brings.

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I have the Epic Touch along with spare batteries, a charger, car dock, etc. Not sure it is worth it even at the upgrade price, which is why I cancelled my preorder.

The big issue for me is the camera, which doesn't look at all improved and has a wider angle lens, which distorts objects and faces up close. Sound on video is awful... check samples on YouTube.

I have no complaints about the screen resolution on the SG2, and mine takes a 64gb sd card just fine.

This "upgrade" seems all about the software, most of which I don't want, and the old phone is due for the ICS upgrade very soon.

I will save my upgrade for much more exciting phones just around the corner. Nothing wrong with the phone I have, and this one doesn't add very much.

Maybe I will pick one up on Craigslist when the next upgrade frenzy hits. Somebody was selling one for $550 today. I'll bite when they hit 425 or so.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

poopie35

May 24, 2012
Visit site
I have my sg3 as well AND I LOVE IT, i missed out on the last epic, does anyone know when the outter box will be released for it??!!?!?

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
My biggest issue for the US release is that the S4 is an amazing piece of architecture...paired with an older ty Adreno225 gpu, which is a pretty big step back from the Mali in the Sgs2...so raw 3d performance will a finally be worse in some cases... There's no way around this...its the same way with the OneX with the S4 Krait.

Kinda disappointing. Oh well...there's always the galaxy s4!

Jack

Sent from my Evo LTE using 3g...because Sprint needs to get their collective asses in gear

hoovhartid

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately I'm leaning towards passing.

Oh...this is sad news :'(

you're one of my favorite Dev's here and i was really hoping you'd jump on this one.

Glad to see you've been hanging around the forums here tho:D

hopefully when I get my GS3 I can send you some radio comparison results in your thread that will help to sway you.

Its going to be hard to beat my little Optimus S tho...Its getting as low as -76 to -70 running ThundeRom.:p

I have a tower close by....:cool:

Lucki

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
My biggest issue for the US release is that the S4 is an amazing piece of architecture...paired with an older ty Adreno225 gpu, which is a pretty big step back from the Mali in the Sgs2...so raw 3d performance will a finally be worse in some cases... There's no way around this...its the same way with the OneX with the S4 Krait.

Kinda disappointing. Oh well...there's always the galaxy s4!

Jack

Sent from my Evo LTE using 3g...because Sprint needs to get their collective asses in gear

Wait so is the adreno 225 weaker than the gpu in the sgs2? The bench marks show it a little better but dunno !

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia