Make Gmail default email account?

frohoss

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I use two email apps. gmail and the default email app. Within the default email app settings there is an option to set "Default account: Send email from this account by default" Mine is checked and it won't let me uncheck it. When I try to uncheck it it states "Default account must be set"

So I ask, how do I make my gmail account my default email account?

Thanks in advance.

*Sprint Samsung S3

jaelliott1983

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I had to set up GMail as the back up account only.
When you do this, do not sync emails in the GMail account.
Go to email icon and add your GMail account for emails only.
You can choose that to be your default email account.
Then add all your other email accounts.

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Just solved this for my note 2....I like to use both apps, but gmail is my primary and drove me crazy not being able to set as default since its not an option in gmail app settings. So I opened up a website that had an emsil address on it, clicked on the email address and up popped a box asking me to choose gmail app or email app and whether just once or always.....I selected always.

genomecop

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
this doesnt work for me. I want to email photos using my Gmail account but the only option, still after doing what you said, is the default program.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
The "set default account" option in Mail is for use when you have multiple email accounts set up in that app. It let's you tell the app which of those accounts to use as default. So if you only have one account, you can't uncheck it. It has nothing to do with whether that app, or the gmail app is default for the system.

In gallery, if I tap or long press on a picture, gmail comes up as one of the options for sending. How are you trying to send a photo?